Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mana 850 GT vs. Honda DN-01

The Bike stalls with the stand down... cool safety feature... No you can't rev the bike as it's always in gear... same cockpit/seating position as the Shiver... nice and upright...Underpowered? Not so much... top speed of about 218kph... cvt delivers smooth, flat power delivery... you ask for the power, the bike delivers... Shiver is a bit quicker, but if you are going to tour at all, the Mana is hands down the better bike... I don't miss the achy clutch hand at all... one thing that takes a little getting used to... the bike automatically downshifts when you roll off the throttle... a little strange initially, but once again, you can override the auto mode to down shift yourself, if you want more "control" of what the engine is doing, even in auto mode... Sport gear is a fun way to ride the bike... 7 simulated gear ratios... which you can blow thru rather quickly without rolling off the throttle... a ! light comes on to remind you to shift if you rev too high... blah blah blah... buy the bike... you won't regret it... for a couple hundred bucks, a decent paint guy will buff out and repaint the side fairing and gearbox for you... my buddy dropped his and repainted the case around the box black... looks awesome.
    Last edited by Nosnikram; 04-11-2011 at 12:25 AM.
    2010 Mana 850 GT (Ebony)

Frame and Axle sliders
    GPR Slip on Exhaust
    BarkBuster Handguards
    Center Stand
    Puig Touring Windscreen
    Mike's Grille Cover
    Canisterectomy

Why in the name of all that's holy would you want to rev the bike while its stationary? Apart from the obvious issues of waste or resources you'll also be achieving what exactly? Making a noise that will annoy non-motorcyclists? well done, idiot. Just what we need, another tiny-willied, drooling vegetable who wants to deal with his own insecurities by making a horrible racket to prove his manhood! Well, firstly, it'll still make a noise like a parson faring in the bath because modern bikes ARE quiet and run better that way. Secondly running a motor at high speed with little or no load will impose un-neccessary and in some cases damaging stresses on certain components so you not only annoy people you damage your investment too. Well done! Do you usually travel on the 'Short Bus'?

If you want to ride a motorbike? Make a choice based on what is most likely to work for YOU as a learner machine. If you simply want to be seen by your inadequate mates as someone who is a bit 'Edgy' bcause you ride a noisy machine with two wheels can ai suggest you buy a Harley Skirtster and be done with it. At least that way you'll already fall into a demographi that gets punished by the insurance companies and it won't reflect in my premium when you have a get off, claimn and then leave motorbikes because they are 'Dangerous' and I have to foot the bloody bill.

Loud bikes are the province of morons. Are you a moron??

pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    In sport gear mode you shift it via the paddles. It's like shifting an automatic trans in a car. You can feel the shift but it's not like a manual shift bike. Doesn't have the kick as you say - more a smoother shift.
    You can overrev it in sport gear mode but the rev limiter cuts the engine at that point, especially in the first 3 "gears". The idiot lights on the dash light up near the rev limit to tell you to shift it.
    In all, its pretty idiot proof.
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

Guess I am a moron b/c I love my Leo Vince...
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

Pete,
    You seem a little cranky this morning, lol...
    2010 Mana 850 GT (Ebony)

Frame and Axle sliders
    GPR Slip on Exhaust
    BarkBuster Handguards
    Center Stand
    Puig Touring Windscreen
    Mike's Grille Cover
    Canisterectomy

As a matter of fact at 70 degrees by 11 am today I am going to be moronic with my beautiful exhaust in a little bit LMAO!
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

I'm heading out as well... no leovince here... I will be quietly enjoying the beautiful north shore of vancouver...
    2010 Mana 850 GT (Ebony)

Frame and Axle sliders
    GPR Slip on Exhaust
    BarkBuster Handguards
    Center Stand
    Puig Touring Windscreen
    Mike's Grille Cover
    Canisterectomy

No other auto I've been on has such a feature (linked to throttle input), so the cut-off switch on the stand managed to show me up me big-style while I was picking the new bike up last week.

Got it 5 yards up the road from the shop, pulled back in to adjust myself and flicked the stand down.
    Plenty of clearance, so I thought I'd just bring it to the biting point before flicking it up & buggering off, but every time I touched the throttle it died!

Oh noes! My new bike is cutting out!

Yeah, suffice to say I tried to re-start it 4 or 5 times before I clicked-on, & flicked the stand back up..
    The biker-boys ligging about the shop had a right old laugh I imagine..

In the past, I have only used bikes where the side-stand switch prevents the engine from running at all, ie; flick it down & the engine is killed.
    However, the Mana's cut off is a lot better, in that it allows you to warm the engine up in the morning, without having to have a centre-stand.

I had not given it any thought until now, but I'd be very annoyed if I had to sit on the bike for 5 mins every morning while it warmed up, without even having the option to bang it on the stand - so WP aprilia.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    Why in the name of all that's holy would you want to rev the bike while its stationary? Apart from the obvious issues of waste or resources you'll also be achieving what exactly? Making a noise that will annoy non-motorcyclists? well done, idiot. Just what we need, another tiny-willied, drooling vegetable who wants to deal with his own insecurities by making a horrible racket to prove his manhood! Well, firstly, it'll still make a noise like a parson faring in the bath because modern bikes ARE quiet and run better that way. Secondly running a motor at high speed with little or no load will impose un-neccessary and in some cases damaging stresses on certain components so you not only annoy people you damage your investment too. Well done! Do you usually travel on the 'Short Bus'?

If you want to ride a motorbike? Make a choice based on what is most likely to work for YOU as a learner machine. If you simply want to be seen by your inadequate mates as someone who is a bit 'Edgy' bcause you ride a noisy machine with two wheels can ai suggest you buy a Harley Skirtster and be done with it. At least that way you'll already fall into a demographi that gets punished by the insurance companies and it won't reflect in my premium when you have a get off, claimn and then leave motorbikes because they are 'Dangerous' and I have to foot the bloody bill.

Loud bikes are the province of morons. Are you a moron??

pete
    I can see how I could have misled you. I don't wanna rev a bike like that. I just wanted to hear the nice v-twin sound and not necessarily in a loud way. Just a little bit of the grunt! I couldn't ride the bike because I don't have my license yet and I wanted to hear it since I've never heard one before and I don't think there's many of them in Nova Scotia (if any).

Anyway, I don't have much appreciation for a "skirster" either. As I said before, naked bikes are what I like to ride on. They have the fun factor and easy to ride on, plus a bit of performance never hurts.

Happy motoring man!

Hope you have a better day :-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234