Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mana 850 GT vs. Honda DN-01

DN-01 = phugly !

As far as automatic bikes go, I considered the Honda VFR-1200F, but it cost over twice what I paid for my Mana GT, and it's styling/performance was still questionable (at the time). The Veefer is growing on me, but honestly I have NEVER seen a DN-01 or a VFR-1200F on the street to date, which is pretty crazy for a big name brand like Honda... I don't see many Aprilias either, but the bottom line is that I think you will love everything the Mana has to offer...and it will save you from getting suckered into a 'concept-bike' that will be worth 50% less by the time you get home with it....
    2003 Aprilia Tuono
    2003 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    Neither one of those 2 bikes are selling very well here in the USA. The DN is a real dog but the VFR has some nice qualities, although it is heavy and bulbious. Honda is just pricing them way out there. They should be 1/2 the price.
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum Member
    If Honda lowers the price for the VFR1200F DCT, I might buy a second bike, but until then I dont see myself spending an extra 6,000-7,000 dollars more on a Honda when I can get everything I want and need on a Mana.

As for the DN-01 I sat on one and did not like it and when I took a step back I realized those bikes are ugly. If you get a Mana you will not be disappointed.
    2009 Mana 850 Silver

Leo Vince Carbon Exhaust
    RhinoMoto Two Piece Bar Ends With Mirror Recesses
    RhinoMoto Rear Axle Sliders
    RhinoMoto Fork Sliders
    R&G Racing Aero Crash Protectors
    Rear Hugger from Streetfighters
    Bar End Mirror
    Pazzo Racing Brake Lever

Quote Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
    DN-01 = phugly !
    I saw one on the street. Real phugly. Not a hell of a bunch of power either. And I will bet the Mana will chew its ass in the twisty stuff. When I rode one, I thought it handled great.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

apriliaforum Junkie groovymaster's Avatar
    I'm going to be contrarian. As far as cruisers go, the DN-01 is rather attractive. But make no mistake, it is simply a cruiser with a batman-fairing. The frame itself is a cruiser frame, the wheelbase is cruiser length, the engine placement is in a forward cruiser configuration, the ergonomics is consistent with a cruiser. If no one is sitting on the motorcycle or riding the motorcycle it's rather attractive for a cruiser. Personally I wouldn't own a cruiser because of the lazy-boy riding position and ridiculously long wheelbase which makes for sloppy and sluggish handling and maneuvering.

The DN-01 suffers from several problems out of the box. The windshield is a design element that pushes air directly onto the rider's chest. Owner's are going to great lengths to figure out a work around and invariably it is always an ugly solution. There have been numerous stalling issues. For example, there is a problem with a sensor from the gear switch to the transmission that occasionally becomes perplexed with "Drive" vs. "Park" and a problem with the spark plug caps that causes it to rough idle before stalling after 20-30 minutes of riding.

Honestly, I can't comprehended why Honda has such an insane price on what is essentially a part-bin bike. The DN-01 uses a standard cruiser frame, the hydraulic transmission out of the Rubicon ATV, and the low-tech engine out of the Deauville (aka, Dullsville) which has been around for ages and is a poor seller everywhere. Worse yet, they detuned the engine for the DN-01 to make it even more sluggish. Also, the DN-01 is considerably heavier than the Mana and has considerably less horsepower (claimed dry weight 593-lbs vs. 440-lbs and 59-hp vs. 76-hp).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by groovymaster; 03-21-2011 at 11:42 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Agreed with Gibotos, if I was looking for a clutchless bike again for 2 up touring Id test a vfr dct, the mana is a fab bike, it isnt the lightest bike but on the move you dont feel it.

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    If you think the Mana is heavy, try either of the Hondas.
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum prov-nov
    fair point, none of them are pocket rockets

As I've oft said before. 'Fit for Purpose' is what you're looking for. Obviously if you want a mind-bendingly fast sports bike you don't buy a Mana, or a DN-01, you buy a mind bendingly fast sports bike like an RSV-4 or a Fartblood! Like wise if you want a 'Cruiser'? buy a Cruiser! Good lord there are enough itterations of the bloody horrible things out there!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Oh man, is there a user group somewhere for the DN-01? I'd like to read the rider's comments!
    2009 Aprilia Mana
    2008 Kawasaki Versys
    2006 Yamaha YZ125
    2005 Yamaha TT-R125
    2003 Gas Gas 280 TXT Pro
    2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR - Motarded & Dirtarded!
    2001 Kawasaki W650
    1996 Gas Gas Pampera
    1984 Honda Spree
    1972 Benelli Mini Enduro (basement art)

Quote Originally Posted by Tdawg View Post
    The DN-01 (Do Not Order-1) looks like some bizaar lovechild of Dan gurney's alligator and a scooter. Guessing a short run styling excercise like the Rune. At least the rune shares it's lump with other models. The pontiac aztec of scooter-bike things.
    Yup, that just about covers it.

Pigs, this is what you do. Get you some Leo Vince's for the Mana. Fly to Austin or S.A., get to AF1, and ride that sucker back home. I don't think I have heard of anybody who has/had a Mana and complained about them.
    Bikes:
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

Quote Originally Posted by jsherm01 View Post
    Oh man, is there a user group somewhere for the DN-01? I'd like to read the rider's comments!
    It takes at least 3 to form a group. Has Honda sold that many?
    Bikes:

Lmao!
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

I've seen one DN-01 running around Canberra. I think it is the Honda shop demonstrator. I know of at least three Manas. Yay! Aprilia outsells Honda!

Actually I have yet to ride a DN-01. I might go and book a test ride just for shit and giggles, I'll have to wear a bag over me head though so none of me customers recognise me!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast