Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust valve servo-motor eliminator needed ?

apriliaforum expert

Exhaust valve servo-motor eliminator needed ?

Hi all,

I've installed a full exhaust system, and removed the exhaust valve servo motor.
    Now I've got a warning light in the instrument, and I would like to remove it.

My question is - is it needed to install a eliminator in the valve servo motor electrical connector ?
    Dorsoduro 900

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    I've just read thru all six pages and 81 posts on this thread, I still can't believe there is so much confusion about the servo motor and exhaust header flapper valve.

A few people who posted got it right, but for the most part this thread is very confusing and full of wrong info.

This is an important topic and I would like to start over to set the record straight.

I've soft deleted every post after the OP's first post and would appreciate some cooperation in staying on topic with correct info.

I'll start off with the facts:

1-) If you install a Race ECU, you can remove the servo motor and cables without the ECU posting any errors whatsoever.
    2-) If you leave the servo in place and it malfunctions, you will get an error code even with a Race ECU installed.
    3-) Without a Race ECU, you can remove the cables but you must leave the servo in place and connected
    4-) If you remove the cables but leave the servo in place, and you replace or update the dash, you may have servo related errors (the dash controls the servo, not the ECU)
    5-) With a Race ECU installed, removing the cables but leaving the servo motor in place is foolish, get rid of it.

If you remove the cables, don't forget to wire the flapper valve open.
    Though the valve is spring loaded to stay open with the cables removed, they have been known to partially close when under full throttle high engine load conditions.

And to answer the OP's question:

No you don't need a servo motor eliminator device if you install a full system without a Race ECU..
    Just remove the cables but leave the servo in place and electrically connected.
    Last edited by amauri; 08-06-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: corrections
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Help.

I have removed the the spring, not sure what I should be doing now to fix it.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

OOps!, just put it back together then wire it open so it can't close accidentally.

See pic >>https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...=1#post4384255
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum prov-nov
    OK got it back in and I believe its pretty much fully open might be at about 80 or 90%, obviously for me its impossible to tell.

So now I can unplug the electronic part and remove it. is that correct?

Fantastic now I have a coolant leak this bike is getting so much work and no riding what so ever...

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    I have an accessory Race ECU for '16 RSV4. When turning the ignition, the dash does its thing, and the servo motor does its thing, kinda. It gyrates and has a seizure for about 7-8 seconds, but it doesnt do a "sweep" of its operating range and then quit, like it use to. After starting and when in gear Neutral, the sound is not muffled - the sound level is the same from Nuetral, as in 1st gear. So the indication is the flap is no longer closing. Besides having to replace the servo (I wouldnt) is there any troubleshooting I could perform to remedy this?

(I want to keep this feature so if ever I need to replace stock ecu/exhaust for whatever reason. I am looking into a dedicated track bike, and will keep this bike for street only.)

apriliaforum Member
    I it was my bike i would visit the diagnostic station, after wiring it open. If it passes the noise level test, then just remove the servo (mine passes 94/96 Db, i removed the servo).

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    It does not function as the Stock ECU uses it; if that's what you mean.
    The Race ECU leaves it closed until you put the bike in gear then it opens, that's about the extent of it.
    Caveat being post #2 number 2.
    Does it open fully when put into 1st gear when a race ECU installed?

Quote Originally Posted by murphc13 View Post
    Does it open fully when put into 1st gear when a race ECU installed?
    Yes...
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Yes...
    Ok.Does(and I know the thoughts on this) the valve in any way affect the AF ratio(if fully open then I guess no).
    The Bike sounds louder with the servo removed than it did in 1st idling per stock servo operation.

apriliaforum Member
    Ok.Does(and I know the thoughts on this) the valve in any way affect the AF ratio(if fully open then I guess no).
    No.
    The Bike sounds louder with the servo removed than it did in 1st idling per stock servo operation.
    Well actually it's because the flapper valve is fully open at all times, You can wire it in any position, closed even, but that would be pointless, but quieter

apriliaforum expert
    You can wire it open in the closed position?
    Cant wait to try that

apriliaforum newb
    So maybe the answer is the same as amauri's explanation, but I just want to make sure as this is a 2018 RSV4 RF LE and I am not replacing the exhaust right now. I just want to disconnect the cables and wire the valve open for the time being, I love the music coming from the engine already. If I just leave the servo plugged in, this will not cause any issues?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 02603SEC View Post
    So maybe the answer is the same as amauri's explanation, but I just want to make sure as this is a 2018 RSV4 RF LE and I am not replacing the exhaust right now. I just want to disconnect the cables and wire the valve open for the time being, I love the music coming from the engine already. If I just leave the servo plugged in, this will not cause any issues?
    No,unless the servo malfunctions(But even with a race ecu this would send errors to the dash).

apriliaforum newb
    No,unless the servo malfunctions(But even with a race ecu this would send errors to the dash).
    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast