Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interview with the creator of the Futura - your questions please?

Ducting of Heat

One of the Futura's best qualities is that the rider feels absolutely no heat while riding or even sitting in traffic. Was this a primary design feature that was solved through proper wind tunnel testing? Was it by accident?

Every other sport-tourer, especially the I4s absolutely roast you.
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Befbever View Post
    Ooh! Sarky!

Sorry mate, couldn't resist!

Any progress on getting your Futura back together? If I remember right you had the back end stripped out the same time as I did mine and that was 2 years ago! Did you get it back together or is it left sad lonely & neglected now you've got the new love in your life?

Well first there was this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This Must Be The Place

Then we went on holiday, there I rode for 4 or 5 hours a day for two weeks. Then there were exhausts to be re-packed and sold, then a Tiger needed to return to original and sold, then the Honda needed to be ridden as much as possible. New windows were needed in the garage, recently a new door, then a few weeks ago along came this scan of my neck...

I had splitting migraines every time I laid down so after 3 weeks of no sleep I had the scan done. You don't want to know what the rest of my spine feels like these days...
    Last edited by Befbever; 02-10-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    This Must Be The Place

Quote Originally Posted by dugkim View Post
    Try owning a Yamaha FJR. I had to break out the muffin tins to keep these fasteners organized. My buddy and I took our bikes completely apart on the first day of ownership. His FJR fairing and body panels once removed totaled 19 pieces! the Futura, 5.

Although there are a number of fasteners, there are only 2 sizes on the Futura. I say that they did a great job by comparison. FWIW.
    Muffin tins! why didn't I think of that?!!! I use separate plastic SOLO drink cups to keep the fasteners organized when I take them off the Futura.

After getting a heat canon very recently to finally heat up the garage fast and with no hassle and installing this free gift from my nephew in a corner of the garage, I'm all set to go. Just need to be careful of my lower back that has been my time-in-the-garage limiter for a number of months/years.

Finally: DERAIL!
    This Must Be The Place

Well first there was this:
    That's pretty......was the surgeon drunk?

Then we went on holiday, there I rode for 4 or 5 hours a day for two weeks. Then there were exhausts to be re-packed and sold, then a Tiger needed to return to original and sold, then the Honda needed to be ridden as much as possible. New windows were needed in the garage, recently a new door, then a few weeks ago along came this scan of my neck...

I had splitting migraines every time I laid down so after 3 weeks of no sleep I had the scan done. You don't want to know what the rest of my spine feels like these days...
    See, if you'd fixed the Futura and ridden it those other bikes wouldn't have been able to inflict such damage.........a lesson there for us all to learn from I reckon...

After getting a heat canon very recently to finally heat up the garage fast and with no hassle and installing this free gift from my nephew in a corner of the garage, I'm all set to go. Just need to be careful of my lower back that has been my time-in-the-garage limiter for a number of months/years.

Finally: DERAIL!
    Aaaaah, there we have the evidence! Goes out to the garage full of good intention then spends all day playing on the internet!

Come on Hugo, your's was (is) a fine example of the breed, it needs to be back in circulation!

The crumbling body is an age thing mate, not helped by years bouncing around on (and frequently off!) bikes.....all my old injuries are coming back to haunt me too now I'm in my dotage, could really do with living somewhere warm and dry rather than the cold & damp of Northern Europe!

OK, apologies, derail over!

Just to update, a bout of man flu has slowed me down on this but I'm drawing all this together in the next few days. It's quite a job!

bump!
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

apriliaforum newb

Rst

Hello
    I imported 2 low km bikes out of Japan into New Zealand in 2007/08 and rode them and sold them on to customers who loved them
    Now I'm in Australia [Brisbane] I found one at a dealer who had grown to hate it
    I've done 20000km on it including a trip to Sydney - down on Friday & back on Sunday - so so comfortable and economical [ I'm 60yrs old ] 1876km trip
    Bike came with Power Commander & Staintune mufflers and get 300km a tankfull no problem
    I'm running Pirrelli Angels and done 17000km on them - rear getting flat now but will stretch it out to 20000km
    What do you replace a Futura with - Triumph Sprint - or just rebuild it

Quote Originally Posted by kaiiwi View Post
    I'm running Pirrelli Angels and done 17000km on them - rear getting flat now but will stretch it out to 20000km
    What do you replace a Futura with - Triumph Sprint - or just rebuild it
    You know, you could replace just the tires instead of the whole bike

"7. I will never stop thanking Ducati for their refusal to sign me in 2009" --- Max Biaggi

'02 Falco
    Renegade high-mount, OZ wheels, JCG custom paint, PC III, 48 psi RSV chip, painted Mille swinger, Works Performance shock, Evo airbox/K&N, oversize intake, Jet Hot coated pipes, Heli-bars, MPL clutch slave, braided lines, alarm, Pazzo's, Puig screen, carbon stuff...many more...

'03 Futura
    Ash Black, BEF Exhaust, H-Pipe, Heli-bars, heated grips, tinted screen, alarm, 3 power outlets (2 Powerlet & Gerbing), charging LED, John's regulator, carbon hugger, Vista Cruise, MPL clutch slave, Falco forks, 320mm rotors, Pazzo's, Stebel TM80 horn, Tutoro chain oiler, K&N filter

Quote Originally Posted by kaiiwi View Post
    Hello
    What do you replace a Futura with - Triumph Sprint
    Hey K1W1, in the Aussie summer, a Sprint will cook yr inner thighs.

The Futura dissipates the heat better than any bike I know of.
    The Older I get, The Faster I was.
    Currently in the shed:-
    300 KTM
    450 Gasgas
    750 Norton Commando MKV
    920 Norton Commando MKII
    750 Short stroke Commando
    850 Production Racer Commando
    850 MKIII Commando
    1000 RST 1/2004. Darkness Black, staintunes

Quote Originally Posted by Nortiboy View Post
    Hey K1W1, in the Aussie summer, a Sprint will cook yr inner thighs.
    The Futura dissipates the heat better than any bike I know of.
    Wish my Caponords would - my wife has low blood pressure and on even warm days, she gets light-headed enough to make her stop and refuse to ride the bike; heat wells up from under the tank on both of them equally; luckily you can stand up and catch te breeze - until the over-zealous cops book you....
    Oh, and there is a more comfortable pillion seat than the Futura: the Capo...
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast