Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: TuneEcu, Free injection mapping and diagnostic for Caponord/Futura.

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar

wahooo

just let me say that again...wahooo!
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum expert GH_services's Avatar
    yeah - works like a champ!!
    small issue though, i have an old panasonic toughbook for doing my garage work and its screen is 800 x 600 - apart from changing the screen resolution in the control panel and missing parts of my desktop screen - is there any other way round this?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GH_services View Post
    yeah - works like a champ!!
    small issue though, i have an old panasonic toughbook for doing my garage work and its screen is 800 x 600 - apart from changing the screen resolution in the control panel and missing parts of my desktop screen - is there any other way round this?
    no, the minimum is 1024x600 (for netbook) and honestly, you need at least that to be able to read the numbers.

Sorry :-)... get an external monitor or something.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2pist View Post
    Radio shack sells the 6 pin molex connector for a whopping $2.59 It's available in store..
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062448
    did you buy it and confirm it works?
    I have a radio shack close by, I'll check it out this week.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by moto-abruzzo View Post
    Acknowledgement

Well, a big thank you to Alaine and Crenninger for bringing this piece of software to us - an early Christmas present indeed! Cheers gents ... I'll be raising a glass to you this evening!

Test Run

Ok, so after breakfast I was out in the garage like a shot ... on the Tuneboy cable drivers it hooked up to the ECU and never dropped connection over the couple of hours I was playing.

All in all I tested any and all functions I could - and ran it back-to-back against Tuneboy/Edit. I generated fault codes, loaded, edited and downloaded maps and the bottom line is, it worked. It never crashed, locked or lost comms.

The only questionable difference I came on was the Rev Limit and Thermo Fan settings ... in TuneBoy they are far more detailed ......

Attachment 151273 Attachment 151274

In Tune ECU, much less detailed.

Attachment 151275

However, Alaine must have code in place to make sure the 'missing' data fields match the one you can change. On changing the rev limit up to 10,000rpm and fan temp down to 104C In TuneECU, everything looks fine when opened in TuneEDIT. So in the end ... Keep-it-simple works!

For those used to looking at TuneEDIT maps, TuneECU might be a bit like riding an old Brit bike (gears & brake swapped) after getting used to 'modern' stuff .... ok, but a bit odd till you get used to it! The X and Y axes of the graphs are swapped over and I found it took a while to get my head around the map layout - mind you, the addition of colour is a fantastic tool for spotting rogue data in the map!

At the end of the day, it does what we want, very well.
    Checking on the RPM settings.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    one question Christian, are the wiring diagram pinouts looking at the solder side of the plug or the pin side? As you know I no longer have the Aprilia OBD connector to check whether they're marked with pin numbers.

Bob
    It's looking at the outside plug/pin exposed connectors.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ELMOSISU View Post
    I have a technical issue. I had previously loaded Tuneboy and the cable driver on my laptop. I seem to be unable to get the cable to recognize the recommended driver from Alain's site ( CDM 2.06.00 WHQL Certified). I removed all of the Tuneboy program items, and the cable still does not ask to look for a driver. I try and do it manually, and it does not recognise to downloaded driver file as a driver. My computer skills are limited. Do you have any recomendations?
    Make sure you are not connected to the internet.

In Windows 7 / vista and sometime XP, windows would go on it's own to find the right driver for you online.
    So make sure you disconnect any Wifi and unplug your ethernet cable, then Windows will ask where to locate the driver.

but if you are using a tuneboy cable, you can re-use the tuneboy driver.
    What happens is Tuneboy "rename" their cable from FTDI generic to TuneBoy cable.

Funny thing I renamed my generic to Tuneboy USB... hopeing to make the Tuneboy work... it didn't.

Moto-Abruzzo confirmed that you can use the tuneboy driver, as a matter of fact, TuneECU and tuneboy as of now are using the same driver version.

Christian

apriliaforum Junkie
    I got the Tuneboy cable driver re installed. I will see if it works later today.

Christian........ I will send you a screen shot of my stock map.
    screen shot are useless, you can save the map you read from the ECU in the .hex file format, you can email me this.

Quote Originally Posted by crenninger View Post
    screen shot are useless, you can save the map you read from the ECU in the .hex file format, you can email me this.
    I got things up and running with some questions.

Below are 2screen shots of the Test, and Map Edit tabs of the program. The Diagnostics works just fine, and give the 4 coils and other info similar to TuneBoy.

As you can see, I was not able to have a map come up, however I was able to do all of the adjustments that are typical. TPS reset, Long term Idle, Idle CO trim, Stepper adjustment. That part is great!

I had no disconnects on TuneECU, once I got everything properly running.

(Tuneboy regularly disconnected, and caused me to reset the connection.)

I was not able to locate any type of .hex file or a way to pull up my map other than what was in the upper left of the screen on the map tab.

What is my next move?

thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuneecu first run no map.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	151307  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuneecu sensors first run.jpg 
Views:	1890 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	151309  

2006 Caponord - Rich's custom seat, drilled stock pipes, Catfish "429" map, Braking wave rotors, Rally Raid Bars/fender, Ricor Intiminators, Skidmarx custom windscreen ( propane torch special ), Bags Connection tank bag
    2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

apriliaforum Junkie
    I got things up and running with some questions.

Below are 2screen shots of the Test, and Map Edit tabs of the program. The Diagnostics works just fine, and give the 4 coils and other info similar to TuneBoy.

As you can see, I was not able to have a map come up, however I was able to do all of the adjustments that are typical. TPS reset, Long term Idle, Idle CO trim, Stepper adjustment. That part is great!

I had no disconnects on TuneECU, once I got everything properly running.

(Tuneboy regularly disconnected, and caused me to reset the connection.)

I was not able to locate any type of .hex file or a way to pull up my map other than what was in the upper left of the screen on the map tab.

What is my next move?

thanks!!
    click "ECU" / "Read Map" and report back what happens.

Make sure the green square in the bottom right corner is blinking,

Red = not connected
    orange - connecting
    green - connected.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by moto-abruzzo View Post
    Acknowledgement

Well, a big thank you to Alaine and Crenninger for bringing this piece of software to us - an early Christmas present indeed! Cheers gents ... I'll be raising a glass to you this evening!

Test Run

Ok, so after breakfast I was out in the garage like a shot ... on the Tuneboy cable drivers it hooked up to the ECU and never dropped connection over the couple of hours I was playing.

All in all I tested any and all functions I could - and ran it back-to-back against Tuneboy/Edit. I generated fault codes, loaded, edited and downloaded maps and the bottom line is, it worked. It never crashed, locked or lost comms.

The only questionable difference I came on was the Rev Limit and Thermo Fan settings ... in TuneBoy they are far more detailed ......

Attachment 151273 Attachment 151274

In Tune ECU, much less detailed.

Attachment 151275

However, Alaine must have code in place to make sure the 'missing' data fields match the one you can change. On changing the rev limit up to 10,000rpm and fan temp down to 104C In TuneECU, everything looks fine when opened in TuneEDIT. So in the end ... Keep-it-simple works!

For those used to looking at TuneEDIT maps, TuneECU might be a bit like riding an old Brit bike (gears & brake swapped) after getting used to 'modern' stuff .... ok, but a bit odd till you get used to it! The X and Y axes of the graphs are swapped over and I found it took a while to get my head around the map layout - mind you, the addition of colour is a fantastic tool for spotting rogue data in the map!

At the end of the day, it does what we want, very well.
    I got confirmation,
    in TuneECU you only set 1 value, and the other 3 values are derived from the value you specify.
    -50RPM
    +100RPM
    +200RPM

In short, set your Cutoff RPM and don't worry about it.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by nav18tor View Post
    I wish I had ordered the cables and connectors earlier
    I told you... and gave enough warning

Quote Originally Posted by crenninger View Post
    click "ECU" / "Read Map" and report back what happens.

Make sure the green square in the bottom right corner is blinking,

Red = not connected
    orange - connecting
    green - connected.
    I had full flashing green squares during this process.

The "read map" was greyed out and I could not do anything with it.

Any ideas?
    2006 Caponord - Rich's custom seat, drilled stock pipes, Catfish "429" map, Braking wave rotors, Rally Raid Bars/fender, Ricor Intiminators, Skidmarx custom windscreen ( propane torch special ), Bags Connection tank bag

also, does it matter if the bike is running or not , in order to read the map? I tried it both ways, but no go.

Windows XP

Tuneboy cable and driver.

apriliaforum Junkie
    also, does it matter if the bike is running or not , in order to read the map? I tried it both ways, but no go.

Windows XP

Tuneboy cable and driver.
    Engine OFF, kill switch ON, Ignition ON.

well if you get the green flashing light, you should be able to read the maps.
    At least many have been able to.

Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast