Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dorsoduro 1200!!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Suprised that now the exhaust is 2 cans rather than the 1 large can that covers everything, they have not fitted an undertray to protect the frame from corrosion etc.

apriliaforum Junkie mh_dorso750's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano469 View Post
    Suprised that now the exhaust is 2 cans rather than the 1 large can that covers everything, they have not fitted an undertray to protect the frame from corrosion etc.

Suggested price of 9k....ouch ! Not sure if I'd stretch to that over the 5900 I paid for my 750.

Maybe 0% and some cans may sway people....not for a while though I'll bet.

Quote Originally Posted by mh_dorso750 View Post

Suggested price of 9k....ouch ! Not sure if I'd stretch to that over the 5900 I paid for my 750.

Maybe 0% and some cans may sway people....not for a while though I'll bet.
    If the larger powerplant actually puts out close to the claimed 130bhp (we all know how accurate that was with the Shiver and DD) it puts it right up there with the KTM Superdukes, Ducati 1100 Hypermotards/Monsters etc. So the price is certainly in that equivalent ballpark, whether anyone could justify the move up from the 750s just for more horsepower... it'll be interesting to see.

apriliaforum Member
    I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the 750 purchase this year. I was holding out for the bigger bore version of the Dorsoduro for much longer than I should have. With all the criticisms you would think that Aprilia would increase displacement (a given) and decrease weight to compete with the other products out there, but this new version looks to be a bit of a porker.

This is supposed to be their "supermoto for the street" model... isn't it?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by fyr View Post
    This is supposed to be their "supermoto for the street" model... isn't it?
    one of the clubs (njminigp) refers to supermoto as "sumo"
    so at ~500lbs, the dd1200 is definitely a sumo for the street

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
    one of the clubs (njminigp) refers to supermoto as "sumo"
    so at ~500lbs, the dd1200 is definitely a sumo for the street
    I would think a 1200cc engine would have a little more than 130hp no?

Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    If the larger powerplant actually puts out close to the claimed 130bhp (we all know how accurate that was with the Shiver and DD) it puts it right up there with the KTM Superdukes, Ducati 1100 Hypermotards/Monsters etc. So the price is certainly in that equivalent ballpark, whether anyone could justify the move up from the 750s just for more horsepower... it'll be interesting to see.
    Grug..... Have you ever heard of CRANKSHAFT horsepower and torque numbers. Those are the numbers Aprilia refers to, as do MOST manufacturers unless they specifically say Rear Wheel Horsepower. Believe it or not there is a good percentage of crankshast horsepower lost (friction) between the crank and the road.
    2011 1200 Dorsoduro, 5,550 miles
    World Economy = House of Cards
    Greece = Ceiling Fan, now Italy, Spain... contagion

apriliaforum expert
    The only thing keep me from getting a DD 750 is the ridicules fuel tank capacity (12L some places they say even 11.5L) but now the 1200cc have a16L fuel tank, i really hope that they will sell the DD 750 in 2011 with the 16L fuel tank then i will get one (please Aprilia read this).

Quote Originally Posted by Centerline View Post
    Grug..... Have you ever heard of CRANKSHAFT horsepower and torque numbers. Those are the numbers Aprilia refers to, as do MOST manufacturers unless they specifically say Rear Wheel Horsepower. Believe it or not there is a good percentage of crankshast horsepower lost (friction) between the crank and the road.

Aprilias claims for crank HP for both shiver and DD are still generous, some may say way off the mark.

Ex-owner: 2007 Shiver, Aprilia screen, Tuono forks and Brembos, Hyperpro Springs F&R, 46T rear sprocket (supersprox), DNA Filter, Akrapovics, Gold wheels, Michelin Pilot Road IIs

Quote Originally Posted by Centerline View Post
    I have, but the bikes appear to have one of the most significant discrepancies between claimed crankshaft figures and actual rear wheel output I've come across (normally you expect around a 15-17% drop, the Aprilias get hit by up around 22%).

apriliaforum Member
    Just for comparison...

According to Sport Rider magazine the stock Dorsoduro gets to max 75.8 RWHP @ 9,250 RPM. They also state the Ducati Hypermotard (1100cc version) to have max 77.0 RWHP @ 7,500 RPM

Most all dynos will yield somewhat varying results. You can check out the exhaust manufacturers that have dyno charts for another reference... it's all relative.

I was worried that my 750 would feel anemic, but it actually seems to get faster/stronger every time I ride it

apriliaforum expert octavio3311's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    The 1100 Hyper only makes 95hp + or - at the crank and like 78hp or so at the wheel. It's only advantage is the extra grunt (torque) from it's extra 350cc.
    Now the SuperDuke - that's 1 sweet ride. 117hp at the crank.
    The Tuono still got them beat.

Quote Originally Posted by octavio3311 View Post
    The 1100 Hyper only makes 95hp + or - at the crank and like 78hp or so at the wheel. It's only advantage is the extra grunt (torque) from it's extra 350cc.
    Now the SuperDuke - that's 1 sweet ride. 117hp at the crank.
    The Tuono still got them beat.

The SuperDuke is an absolute blast, it was my first choice when it came time to upgrade my bike, but the higher price ruled it out for me. The Tuono I tried (a 2005 model) was just too much for me. It's a crazy machine, grabs you by your manly bits and growls at you to lean further, go faster

apriliaforum expert octavio3311's Avatar
    At the time I bought my 08' Shiver - Tuono's were selling for $13k and the SuperDuke was going for $14k.
    Now I see brand new 08' leftover Tuono's going for $8000 and my buddy just bought a new 09' SuperDuke for $8999.

Oh well - the Shiver beats them on the looks category and has proven to be a quite capable ride.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Well I just rode Duke690R and this things is the fastest street bike I ever road in the twisties. With less then 60BHP and less then 350lbs this bike makes things so easy to go fast. The funny thing is that it also feels safer to go fast on this bike. In other words drop 50 LBS from DD 750 and you got one hell of a bike. Owning the 05 Tuono with Full Akra system I can say that 130 BHP is way too much for street use. Will not make you go faster anywhere but the track!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast