Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gt200

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Well, here it is in the flesh, your new Malossi V4 cylinder head. The head, in out of the box condition would make plenty of gains in power compared to the stock lump of valves and cams due only to improved valve sizes, the fact that the ports are re-shaped in the casting is HUGE too.

Of course to keep our Vespa Tuning/Testing program on track the head will be ported to keep everything fair and all the sharp edges will be removed of course too.

All the pics posted in this set are from the "as-delivered" Malossi cylinder head. One thing I was a little surprised about is that the valves and seats were not finish ground? I guess this is not really required anymore but it seems to me the only way to build a motor, a proper and decent grinding of the valves into the seats insures they shed heat quickly and remain reliable for a long time. You can bet your ass they will be "seated" the way I like to seat valves before being installed on your motor Jack!

This pic shows the stock 200GT cylinder and the Malossi "big bore" which on the shorter stroke 200cc motor is only like 2mm larger a bore size, taking true displacement right up to 210cc.

The new higher compression Malossi piston is on the left and the stock piston on the right, I really like how Malossi added a little length to the skirts, a good skirt makes a stable piston, a stable piston sliding in a round bore makes good power for a long time!

Here the combustion chamber view of the Malossi V4 head for the Vespa 200GT, 250cc/300cc GTS/GTV/Super. This same head also works on oddities like the Piaggio BV200, the MP3 250cc, the Aprilia SportCity 250/300 and more.

With the valves removed for porting the "as delivered" valve seat to head casting junctions were not too bad and the chamber itself is not overly rough. Of course it will get slightly reshaped and polished to keep it free of deposits before final assembly onto the motor.

This is the view from the bottom of the cylinder with the cylinder attached to the head, the ratios of squish area are now similar to an 1102cc Tuono or RSV motor, basically what we are after to make this sucker sing!

This is the view looking down the exhaust port, hell you can almost see into the head, this is a good sign, major improvement over the stock head for the supersonic side of gas passing!

The same bit of good news can be found on the intake side now, I have a very good feeling about the potential in these little motors now, I really hope to wrap up my paperwork soon on my personal new 300 Super, because after I learn a bit on your bike Jack, well mine will turn out even better!

These are the new exhaust and intake valves with a pair of calipers to show actual measured valve sizes, looking like a HUGE improvement to me. This measurement is off of the Exhaust Valve set:

This is the intake side of the vlavetrain, say 30-40% bigger than stock, I do wonder where the extra power comes from...

These are the glamor shots of the actual Malossi valves from tip to tulip. I wish to God I had a set of valves this nice for my RSV race bike. Notice the "wasted" stems in areas where a smaller stem diameter is beneficial to mass air flow and high port velocity...very nice stuff here, literally better than many "performance" engines I have worked on!

One more of the valves, I liked them so much I took bunches of pictures of these little guys!

Here is the new Malossi "race" cam. The stock camshaft is actually pretty aggressive so I am not sure if this is a real benefit other than on the 200cc motor. This camshaft WILL NOT WORK IN THE 250CC-300CC MOTORS according to Malossi. With a slotted cam sprocket to adjust valve timing I am sure it could be made to work on the larger displacement engines.

One last shot for now, I know the Malossi piston is still dished BUT, in this pic you can clearly see that it is MUCH higher compression than the stock piston, something that should be good for this engine from idle to rev limiter!

That's all for now, after porting and final assembly of the head I will post another round of pics and eventually when the scooter makes it into the shop it will all be assembled, jetted, tranny tuned and another round of dyno testing commenced once the break in process is complete!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Thanks for posting Micah. Just by looking at your pics, I am very pleased with the Malossi build quality. I just wonder why there isn't much performance tuning on these little scoots. I know mine benefited greatly from swapping the suspension and some more hp won't hurt either. BTW, the total cost of head/cam/cylinder/piston is around $1250 for those who might be interested in doing one of these deals. I don't think that is unreasonable. However, my motorcycle riding friends think I am nuts, but I ride the piss out of this thing.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Well Jack, lets do some bike math, you have $XXXX in your 1102cc Tuono motor, and probably $XXXXX in the bike and $XXXX in other mods....so $1250 plus labor is looking damn near free for a 40% gain in power on your Vespa and you like me, got a Vespa thinking it was probably a mistake, and have found riding it to be so much fun a few $$$$ is not going to be a deal breaker if it makes the scooter even more fun!

I do not know why so few people have really played with performance tuning and motor building on these scoots, BUT, that actually makes it way more fun for me. I like learning, even the hard way. If I just wanted to build motors all day like an assembly line I would start my own GSXR tuning service. I turn down literally dozens of Japanese motor jobs every year "because I do not have all the special tools need to do your motor to my standards sir" when in reality it is more like "I would rather hit my own dick with a hammer than touch the innards of your CBRXXGSXYZFTZRR thing".

I have been in the bike game a while now, projects like this keep it fun for me, actually some of the cruiser tuning projects I do are sort of like this too, I do them for personal satisfaction more than income. Anytime you can spend a week with a motor and make double digit gains in terms of power percentages you feel as though something good has been accomplished! Getting 2 bhp more out of the latest electronically aided superbike replica after spending hours on the dyno and thousands in parts in labor is obviously less satisfactory.

Turbo Vespa Bitches!!!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia & Papua New Guinea,
    Haha!
    That is great, it should prove to be a startling wee jigger to ride and no doubt surprise a few people when it comes to traffic light Gran Prixs.

Brought the Vespa to AF1 yesterday. Micah did a bang-up job porting the head. Again, I am beta tester for his upcoming uber Vespa project, but the Malossi stuff really looks great. Micah, I hope you got some pics of the final porting because they look fine. We are also replacing the Leo Vince that is on the bike with Akropovic tube. It will look nicer and the Leo is freaking loud. I rather like loud.

I suspect this little bastard is going to be a hoot to ride. These motors seem to have a lot of upside, and hp parts are relatively inexpensive and gains look to be large. If y'all are going to the Texas Mile, you should find the AF1 truck. It will probably be there, in its final form serving as a pit scooter. Maybe it needs a tricolore paint job.
    Last edited by jrflanne; 10-08-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Bikes:
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

Jack, no worries I took some wicked studio shots of the ported head! The only issue will be edit time. I am scheduled to be on a B29 Superfortress for a ride in about two hours and then storm chasing all the way back home this evening 400 miles to the house from Midland, Texas. Will try to get your ported head pics up Monday. The only problem is that since last Tuesday morning I have taken 1700 pics which will probably be about 2200 pics by the end of today so edit time in the comig weeks will be difficult. Your head turned out so friggin' nice though I really am eager to share it! Is my Tuono treating you OK? like having peak torque greater than a stock Tuono @ 8,500rpm at only 3500rpm? I set that bike up for good file economy and great street prowess!

Time to head to the airfield, there is only one flying B29 on earth and today for an hour it is mine to play in! More pics than I can count I am sure! Be back later!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

That Tuono runs great! It gets substantially better gas mileage than the 1102, but who cares. Nice bike. Hope you had fun in the B29!
    Bikes:

Well I added a set of 9.0 gram DR Pulley Sliders today and a new belt, holy berzerker! The things pulls up the front, shakes the bars under hard acceleration and overall does some insane shit! I had no idea it would be like this with the 9.0 gram weights, you are gonna really be amazed when you ride it! up to 17.88bhp on my very conservative dyno!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Has Ed and Steve ridden it? They are scooter guys and would probably enjoy it. Like the dyno curve.
    Bikes:

Well, Jack, how was the two hundred mile ride home? I assume you had no issues, running strong for you? Now imagine doing a 300cc with the same mods! Insane...

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

I blasted through Katy on I10 in the fast lane. While going by cages, people were looking at the old fat guy on a scooter going by them. Hee, hee. The thing is running great and the Akra has a good sound. The 300 will be BITCHIN'!
    Bikes:

apriliaforum Junkie
    What are the plans for a 300??

My toy...big power, then bigger power with the little turbocharger/intercooler setup I have been parts collecting for...wheelies, that is the plan for the 300cc Vespa!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Well the black beast, the 300 Super I bought is finally up on my bench at the shop, at this point just doing the basic make-run stuff. Changes will come over the course of 2012 in stages so we can all learn something from the project, and hopefully end up with one wicked Vespa...this is gonna be a fun year/build!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123