Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gt200

Gt200

Well, I have ridden the Vespa back to Houston from AF1, a journey of about 200 miles. I think it is kinda cool but I would like to kick the guy in the nuts that thought to put the gas hole where it is. You have to be careful or else you will flood the storage compartment with gas. A definite suck feature. I was quite comfortable on the trip back.

The thing will drag my carcass between 65 and 70 mph on the open road but I reached speeds over 75 mph in the highways of Houston. I figure this is from the lower density turbulent air on the big highway, especially when tucking behind an 18 wheeler. All in all, it isn't a touring wagon but it is extremely capable in town. It has a nice blat from the Leo Vince can (minus db killer of course) that will be practical for terrorizing Harley's.

Riding my Aprilias around town is such a waste, especially for those little 3 mile trips. I think the scooter deal is a good solution. I thought about getting another motard but the deal was too good, and I kinda like the little bastard.

Revisit:
    Well, I now have about 800 miles of Vespa under my arse. First of all, the engineering of the thing is top notch. The only thing is the suspension is too weak for my ultrawide carcass. I may go in search for upgrades. But the thing is very handy. I can go to the coffee shop, grab a latte and ride back one handed. Guess I need a cup holder. I have come to the conclusion that there is little peer when riding around town. I'm always ahead of traffic. The rough roads of Houston taxes the suspension though.
    Last edited by jrflanne; 09-08-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Should you be wanting more power, a lot more, no JrFlanne I have the map to it. Malossi V4 cylinder and head with high compression piston and some jetting, gain of about 40%...sound fun?
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

I have been researching that a bit. That and getting the suspension sorted would be pretty cool.
    Bikes:
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

They make a nice set of Malossi (probably BiTubo) adjustable shocks for the GT series of bikes. That combined with the full Monty motor kit would be mega-bitchin'

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

You are a BAD man! It would be pretty damn bitchin'.
    Bikes:

Should I be ordering some parts soon?

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Looks like jrflanne has placed an order for some serious Malossi badass-ness. This is going to be fun. 210cc of higher compression carbureted big valve cammed vespa sweetness!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Just put Bitubo front and rear shocks on the GT200. The stock stuff was either roached or sucked from the gitgo. Anyway, the total cost was around $700 and is a huge upgrade. I thought the scoot was so underdamped as to be dangerous. I need to dial the front in a bit but at least the thing isn't a weavy, bottom-out PITA anymore on the MX track known as Houston city streets. Now it is good to go for some motor work.
    Bikes:

I'd love to get my hands on that- I've got a '07 250 and the suspensions for sh!t, just have too many bad habits sucking funds away from my two wheeled hobbies and into other ventures...

Suspension upgrade has passed muster so I have now ordered big-bore, 4v head, and cam. The big-bore is 210cc's for the GT200. Having it shipped to AF1 for Micah's entertainment value. I hope he doesn't splooge all over the new head. It looks nice in the pics, as does the cam.

Met a guy who works for Vespa Houston (the local Ferrari dealer) during breakfast at a local Mexican joint a couple sundays ago. He was talking turbo and the Malossi full monte for his GT250.

Him: Is that your Vespa?
    Me: Yup.
    Him. I have a GT250 and I'm going to turbocharge it.
    Me: Hell yeah!
    He gives me a card and he works for Vespa Houston. Ferrari's and Vespa's. I guess it is time for me to go Ferrari shopping.

Miticale, when you can, do it! I wouldn't really consider any more power if I couldn't get the suspension sorted. I am a fat bastard and there is no more wobbling, bottoming out, or just general bad manners.
    Bikes:

I heard RS shocks are great for the Vespa......

apriliaforum expert
    I run GTS300 Super shocks on my GT200. Not as harshly sprung as the bitubo and a much more relaxed ride.

Well I tore down my first gts250 motor yesterday. My god, they leave you plenty of room to make power if you are creative. Jack, your scooter is going to be insane. On my current 250cc rebuild budget is a primary concern so it is basically a repair job with a little free head work thrown in for me to learn how the stock micro-valve head works with typical porting changes. Porting will be easy since I think even a blind monkey witha die grinder could make the head flow and trap more air in the stock form! Pics of course to come as progress is made!

I wish someone made a sime piston kit to get squish in the .8 mm range and compression up a ways! The bike I am working on now has been on the dyno before so I will have good solid data to back up and gains or losses!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

I had to deck .4mm off that head to get it flat! This was the overheated stock head. Of course I took lots of pics of the head from start to finish and will get around to editing and posting them. I also ported the the shit out of the stock head to make the most of it. The stock head is a perfectly horrible thing. Micro valve area and port area for a macro scale piston and bore and stroke numbers.

This is sort of a charity/budget build for one of our very first ever Vespa customers. He is in a bad spot and massively overheated his motor. Head was warped (too bad Piaggio sells NO replacement head right now), the pistons seized near the intake side ironically near the oil spray jet. The bore is trash. (Piaggio does not have the stock,any of the stock, cylinder/pistón kits is stock).

So I am building a fraken-motor on the cheap for him. I am donating the performance work (most of which had to be done due to head problems) from porting, valve seating, decking (my head gaskets usually seal) and such. He is buying an Aprilia 250cc cylinder kit with higher compression piston since it is the only thing we can find on this hugely popular motor? Trying to do a poors man's stock based mod scooter. Donations accepted. Stock pipe stays, he like quiet!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Well, assuming the Malossi head ever shows up, he can have my head if his is trashed. How the heck do you overheat a Vespa? Mine only registers a bit over Cool.

Anyway, it is too bad the 300cc motor uses the 125cc head. That is taking cost-cutting to a low level.

I await the Malossi head.

PS, the head is supposed to be in any day now. I expect it to be at AF1 late next week or a bit later.
    Last edited by jrflanne; 09-16-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    Bikes:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast