Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guys with a Colin Edwards bike.....

New guy with a Colin Edwards bike.....

Just dropping in to say hello. I have been active on the Futura side for years, but just picked up the 03 Colin Edwards bike that was in the classifieds so I guess I will be splitting time between the two forum sections now.

The bike is pretty clean, but needs fork seals done and a few detail things. I don't know yet which chip is in the bike, but I got two other EPROMS with it as well as a bunch of air box parts (Not carbon fiber stuff unfortunately) and the stock pipe. It has the Akrapovic system mounted and it appears that whoever mounted it did a very nice job and safety wired everything too. I do not think the 57mm TB's are mounted since the air box on the bike appears stock, so I will be hoping to see something turn up on EBay at some point. Wondering if going with a Hooked box kit might be worth it......

I tore it down some yesterday and changed fluids (Clutch, brakes, oil...) and got it out on the road for a bit. After I realized the front only had 26psi, a jump to 36psi made it handle better, but new tires and getting the forks done should make up the rest. I am going to go with some Pirelli Angel ST's on it since I love those on the Futura as well and am getting a set for a good deal.

It's definately a different animal than my Futura, but I am digging it!

I'll be picking some brains for info I am sure.

Anyways, thanks for having me...
    Last edited by meanstrk; 07-15-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Very nice bike, Ron! And good to see another "Jarhead" in the bunch...thanks for your service!

Ohhhhh noooooo Ron, not the Angels........Great wear and feel tire, good mileage NOT! Maybe they'll wear better on a lighter bike. Look forward to seeing it. You should bring it to the SE meet up if you ride solo.

Ken

Might bring both up Ken. We'll see how Donna is feeling. I have to get the forks done first, but I am hoping to get the Ohlins guys to do that this weekend at the track.....

I am getting the Angels from one of the NCS guys for a good price. I was going to order a set of PP 2CT's yesterday, but I'll run these first and go from there.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

The US Edwards air box is basically a stock one with the TB holes opened up. 57's work with the standard air box after a couple minutes of Dremel work.

I thought I had read that it was a carbon box?

I have A air box and associated parts then, which show singns of having been mounted, but I do not know if the TB's are on the bike. I have not checked that yet. All I know at this point is that the air box that is on the bike has a lid on it, and I have a bunch of air box items separate.

Is this air box a full box too or an open box? I do have the included manual that shows installation, but everything is at the house and I am at the office.

Thanks for the info.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

I think the carbon air boxes were talked about in press releases but never materialized. US bikes definitely did not come with carbon air boxes. Aprilia sold 57mm/race carbon air box kits but these were for track use only as there is no provision for an air filter. The air boxes delivered with the Edwards are identical to standard Mille with top. Only difference is larger holes.

Nice purchase. I was in Cincinnati a month ago on some other business, but I took some cash with me to go look at this bike. Unfortunately (for me) we couldn't schedule a time that worked for both of us. Unfortunately (for him) I was prepared to pay more for it than you did.
    Chris

kzmille is right, The US CER airbox lower has a bigger hole where the filter sits, and should have the pre 01 mille air boot as well as the right and left ram air scoops that AF1 sells. The bike was imported with the 51mm's and stock air box lower to match. Then dealers should have added proper intake exhaust and chip mods.
    2001 Red Futura "wife/beer/work" commuter (SOLD)
    2003 Mille R Edwards (SOLD)
    2007 RSVR
    2005 black Ducati ST4s

Excellent info guys. Very much appreciated. Does anyone know the actual part numbers on these bits so I can check?

Also, will a standard Mille rear set fit on the tail of these? I would like to get one simply for the use of a tail bag that I have. Otherwise I'll just do some 3M clear gaurd on the cowl and go with that. I woud much rather not take the chance of screwing the cowl up though.

CBar- It's too bad that you could not hook up with Jeff when you were there. He was a very nice guy to deal with and the bike is practically pristine. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been able to get it.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

The bigger holes are for the throttle body throats. It's the same otherwise.

DAMMMMMMMIT MAN!

i was just waiting to see what the insurance company was going to do with my bike... praying that it would not get sold in the interim...

man, great bike...

beat me to it!
    You fargin sneaky bastage. I'm gonna take your dwork. I'm gonna nail it to the wall. I'm gonna crush your boils in a meat grinder. I'm gonna cut off your arms. I'm gonna shove 'em up your icehole. Dirty son-a-ma-batches. My own club!

I was taking a look at the EPROMS I have. Two are the same and say:

RSV
    MY'01/'02/'03

The other (not installed) says:

RP58 USA

I assume the first is a stock ship, but do you know what the second is? I have done some searching but have yet to find anything definitive. I saw that there is a RP58 Euro version, but what is the USA version for?

This is the rest of the stuff I got with it....

Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Looks like they installed the 57mm TB's . You have a non-restrictive early boot there they may have not changed that out so check that. The RP chip is stock the other came with the pipe for use with 51mm TB's. And you should have the correct chip in the ECU for that came with the 57mm TB's. Also, put in the 16 tooth sprocket they may have left in the stock 17 T.
    2001 Red Futura "wife/beer/work" commuter (SOLD)
    2003 Mille R Edwards (SOLD)
    2007 RSVR
    2005 black Ducati ST4s

The chip that is in the ECU is marked exactly the same as the lower one in the pic and states:

RSV
    MY'01/'02/'03

The seal WAS broken on the ECU before I opened it up though.

I will pull the air box off next week and check the boot on the bike and measure ther TB's. That should reveal a couple things. Right now the bike is loaded in the trailer to take to the track with me. Usually there is an Ohlins rep there and I am hoping to get teh fork seals done.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast