Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If your bike tips over...

If your bike tips over...

...when on its side stand, you'll find Aprilia radiators are held together with glue.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

...and so your bike soon looks like this:

...so you best have the supports welded back on. Saves you buying a new radiator.

I'm getting tired of taking off this bl**dy fairing.
    Honest.

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    You have my sympathy Bef....mine did exactly the same + loads of cosmetic damage as well cos it fell on hardcore without the panniers on and with a full tank of gas.....I got a new rad on the insurance but had the old one back with the intention of getting it repaired and keeping it 'in stock'......

But this seems to be happening a lot so I think I'll get it fixed and put it back on......last thing I want is for the bike to fall over half way across Europe and leave me stranded.....

What a naff detail that bracket is.....what the f**k were they thinking about.......

There's things about this bike and the company that are starting to get on my tits at the moment.....I really need to get out for a ride on it to remind me why its worth tolerating......

Pierre

Thanks, Pierre. Jon told me you had to wait very long for the radiator. I wasn't going to let that happen although they might be the same as the Mille. Dunno, haven't checked.
    I feel exactly the same about the company at this moment. I picked up enough bikes to know one shouldn't be stranded after such a soft landing. The bike fell on gravel, imagine how the left side looks.

I spent the best part of the weekend stripping the bike and more importantly, putting it back together.
    I have two words for Aprilia: quick fasteners!!!!!

And I believe production of the Futura was stopped because they ran out of midgets to put them together.

Ah well, I'm back on the road. The bike is a year old but looks ten. Costly paintjob will have to wait a few months.

Thanks for the heads up, oh Powerful One.

Deepest sympathys - that had to hurt seeing your bike on her side - but, not that it's much concelation, maybe it's time for a one-off paint job and make the rest of us look bland in comparison.

maybe it's time for a one-off paint job
    That's the plan.

Thanks, Stu.

apriliaforum expert

Fall

What is that? One tiny spot weld to hold it togeather?

That is an unhappy incident.

Mine tipped once last year. Thankfully, it was under a pine tree and probly sank slowly into the soft loam and needles and such. A couple tiny scratches. I guess I was very lucky!
    "Where it is a duty to worship the Sun, it is pretty sure to be a crime to examine the laws of thermodynamics." J. Morley

Of all creatures on an incredible, unique, alive and beautiful world, the human is the nearly totally defective element; like the cancer which is basically, out of control, knowing no limits and respecting no boundaries.

Sympathies extended to you. We all dred the day it happens.

1 thing for certain you'll be back better and stronger!!

Any ideas for your 1 off or will that remain a national secret...

Regards,
    Mark.
    Doesn't it make you proud to be Scottish?
    It's shite being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low!
    The scum of the fucking Earth,The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization!
    Some people hate English..I don't! They're just wankers!
    We, on the other hand,are colonized by wankers! Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized by! We're ruled by effete arseholes!
    It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Scotty!

apriliaforum expert
    Now all of the rest of us are paranoid about using the side stand can you that have had the misfortune befall them explain why it happened. It has never seemed to be a likely problem but I'm wondering now!!
    'All the smoke doesn't go up your chimney'

Yeah fuckin' tell me about it... My bike is currently layed up in the garage waiting for a new rad...

BEF if anything this is YOUR calling to make use small mushrooms so crap like this doesn't happen, I'll take the first order.

apriliaforum Junkie Gotta Futura's Avatar

Mine too

My tip of the week for all Futura owners:

Go to your hardware store tomorrow and get a smallest quantity possible of a suitable (for wet and hot use) top quality (must be the best stuff) epoxy resin. Immediately put it in your tool tray (I know there's not much space, but it's worth it).

Of my 3 "breakdowns", this stuff saved me twice.

One was the side stand slowing going through some hot new tarmac, breaking off that radiator bracket, leaving the exact same hole as in Bef's photo. With the benefit of hindsight, all that's required to achieve a get-you-home (or even carry-on-your-holiday) fix, is to remove that piece of rubbery plastic that's bolted to the lower fork yoke to give access to the bracket, wedge a screwdriver between the bracket and the radiator (which is rubber mounted, so there's some give) and force in some epoxy resin with a bit of cardboard or something, take out the screwdriver and allow to set. Total time: setting time of resin plus 10 minutes. It's brilliant stuff.

Has to be better than a 3 working day (if you're lucky) wait for a new radiator when you're far from home.

If you've got A LOT more time to remove the radiator (like most of a day- Bef's other photo tells the story), a further refinement is to carry a 4 or 5 mm bolt (perhaps Powerful can confirm the size of the whole - they'll all be the same!) and suitable brass (or whatever) washer. These can then be fed up through the INSIDE of the radiator through the conveniently adjacent radiator inlet port (see Bef's first photo to visualise what I mean). Drill a suitable hole in the bracket, slap on some epoxy, and bolt it together. OK, you won't have drill with you, but someone nearby will. Anyway, that's what I did, and I reckon it's a permanent fix.

Unless, of course, you have a tame aluminium welder nearby....

apriliaforum newb

If Your Bike Tips Over!!!!!!!!

The last two times I've put my bike on the center stand the stand has gone way past center and it's harder than h-ll to get it off again. Have'nt had time to check out what the problem is yet, but has anyone else experienced this and what is causing it?

Barefootskier
    barefootskier

apriliaforum newb
    Sounds like the stop bolts on the center stand are missing or way out of adjustment.

Rick Lloyd
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Rick Lloyd

apriliaforum Member
    That was very unfortunate for you. I feel sorry for you. Do you think the addition of front frame sliders would have prevented this type of failure? Or any frame slider that af1 sells. I always wondered about this potential problem. My sidestand angle is questionable. I find myself double checking the security of it when I leave my bike parked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast