Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Look: Aprilia 90-degree 1200cc V-Twin

apriliaforum prov-nov

First Look: Aprilia 90-degree 1200cc V-Twin

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...rticle_id=2186

How hard would it be to place this engine in a new Futura? For now it seems they have only a giant trailie on their minds to rival the BMW GS 1200. It says that the engine should be capable of at least 135 HP with a very good spread of power. It would be a great rival to the new VFR1200. If only...

I'm more along the RSV4 Futura bent but that is because I rode the RSV4 and thought the engine kicked some serious ass. But a 1200cc twin might work also. I don't care as long as the ST bike weighs less than say a little over 500 lbs. and not 650.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I haven't searched past threads for this, but....

What about the Tuono Engine or maybe even the Buell 1125R? Rotax is rotax... If the Futura had another 20 ft/lb and 30'ish hp I'd be happy. Well, I'm happy now - but even MORE happy! Current Futura power levels are fine for rider and no luggage, but add a passenger and other stuff and you definitely notice it...

apriliaforum expert SpitfireTriple's Avatar
    I too think a V4 Futura is the way to go. Keep it lighter and simpler than the 13/1400s made by BMW, Kawasaki etc.

apriliaforum expert
    Keep it V-twin. I like the looks of that engine. Conventional wet sump with presumably 1 oil drain plug and a simple spin on oil filter. I don't consider current oil changes a hardship, but it is more complicated than other engines.

I have no desire for more power, the Futura has way more than I need or even use. I think I have only used all it's power once in the year I have owned it and that was only on a test run when I first got it.

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    V twin for me........had plenty of V4 VFR's in the past and they lack torque compared to a twin, and torque is way more useful than outright power....a 1200 V twin Futura would be brilliant but I think the market has shifted toward big trailie bikes serving what was the sports tourer purpose, or budget bikes with panniers and top box tacked on as extras rather than properly designed in.....only Triumph seem to be sticking with it, the new VFR doesn't fit the slot any more being so bulky, expensive (even before adding the panniers etc) and short on fuel range.

The Aprilia V4 seems to be pretty thirsty from what I've read on this forum.

How about the last part....an Aprilia powered Bimota..."Bimota AB"

"7. I will never stop thanking Ducati for their refusal to sign me in 2009" --- Max Biaggi

'02 Falco
    Renegade high-mount, OZ wheels, JCG custom paint, PC III, 48 psi RSV chip, painted Mille swinger, Works Performance shock, Evo airbox/K&N, oversize intake, Jet Hot coated pipes, Heli-bars, MPL clutch slave, braided lines, alarm, Pazzo's, Puig screen, carbon stuff...many more...

'03 Futura
    Ash Black, BEF Exhaust, H-Pipe, Heli-bars, heated grips, tinted screen, alarm, 3 power outlets (2 Powerlet & Gerbing), charging LED, John's regulator, carbon hugger, Vista Cruise, MPL clutch slave, Falco forks, 320mm rotors, Pazzo's, Stebel TM80 horn, Tutoro chain oiler, K&N filter

Quote Originally Posted by gman-1970 View Post
    I haven't searched past threads for this, but....

What about the Tuono Engine or maybe even the Buell 1125R? Rotax is rotax... If the Futura had another 20 ft/lb and 30'ish hp I'd be happy. Well, I'm happy now - but even MORE happy! Current Futura power levels are fine for rider and no luggage, but add a passenger and other stuff and you definitely notice it...
    You can forget about that 1125. It still belongs to Harley. They already passed on selling it to Bombardier. Aside from Eric's race bikes, it may as well not exist.

Talk of this 1200 twin dates back at least 2 years. I'll believe it when I see/hear it

apriliaforum Junkie
    For the Tuono / Buell engine I was speaking mostly used. Surely some Darwin Award winners have purchases those bikes and crashed them shortly after...

apriliaforum prov-nov
    A V4 Futura would be great too but I thought a V-Twin engine would be easier to fit into the present Futura with relatively few modifications; presuming the engine is of similar size, that the tooling for Futura is still functioning etc...
    Aprilia could then improve the fit and finish, and reliability of electrical components and such, add a few modern day features such as ABS, etc. Using the same engine in more than one bike could help Aprilia to recupirate their investment as well.
    They are going back to large capacity enduros (although I don't know whether it'll be called a Caponord) so perhaps they could also think about an ST bike.

From what's been written, that 1200 is scheduled to see light of day in 2012 in this sorta deal called the Tuareg. http://overlandjourney.com/2010/04/0...prilia-taureg/ The 750 version is said to be scheduled for 2011.

Seems to me, as close as Aprilia will get to another sport tourer carrying this 1200 twin, will use the Shiver's tubed frame. Won't be for a while though, if at all. There's been rumors of a new Tuono 4, but there's been nothing much about that bike lately.

The bike shows this winter might be very interesting, but could easily be a big let down as well.

RSV4 frame.
    Longer swing arm.
    Beefed up subframe.
    Futura seat.
    Different faring and bars.
    Done!
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Futura exactly the way it was originally built
    Maybe slightly better rear shock (although mine's been fine)
    Better stock rectifier
    New V4 or V2 engine...whichever fits the original bike frame best

Done.

Better yet,
    Re-issue the original bike with the original Rotax
    Maybe slightly better rear shock (although mine's been fine)
    Better stock rectifier

Done.
    Last edited by FUN DOG; 06-25-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Would have to be a v-twin... that's the main thing that drew me to the bike... 4 clyinder bikes don't appeal to me on the road

Having said that, I have enjoyed the futura as a 2nd hand bargain bike, and the 'niggles' are part of the package, but even if I was thinking about getting a brand new bike, I wouldn't find it funny how simple things (like electrical connections) were not up to spec and make the bike sometimes unreliable.

For properly under 100 they could have fitted better electrics to the futura and made it mighty... as it stands they made it ok and left it to owners to make it right... not really acceptable surely?

Don't get me wrong, i'm an aprilia fan, but there has got to be limits or you become illogical?
    Live forever or die trying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast