Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump failure - poll

apriliaforum newb
    Hi, i am Josi from Germany. I had a fuel pump problem.

Name: Josi
    Fuel pump problem: yes
    Production date / model: 2006 Pegaso Trail
    Miles / km (specify): now: 34.500 km, fuel pump problem at 30.700 km
    Owned since miles / km: 0 km
    Know about previous history: Yes
    Times the bike ran out of fuel: 1
    Fuel quality (good / okay / poor - this is subjective): good
    Fuel filter replaced: no
    Pump fuel screen: Not seen
    Ethanol in fuel: 3%
    Dropped bike: no

apriliaforum Member
    Name: Don R.
    Fuel pump problem: none
    Production date / model: 2006 Strada
    Miles / km (specify): 17.000 km
    Owned since miles / km: 13.000 km
    Know about previous history: Yes / no /not applicable (if yes, include below): no
    Times the bike ran out of fuel: none in my ownership
    Fuel quality (good / okay / poor - this is subjective): Euro 95
    Fuel filter replaced: not yet
    Pump fuel screen: Not seen / clean / dirty / very dirty: not seen
    Ethanol in fuel: 0% / 3% / 10%: Haven't got a clue
    Dropped bike: 0 (touch wood)

Name: Paul
    Fuel pump problem: Yup
    Production date / model: 2006 Strada
    Miles / km (specify): 14600 miles
    Owned since miles / km: 0
    Know about previous history: Yes, all services carried out as well as extra oil+filters.
    Times the bike ran out of fuel: Never
    Fuel quality (good / okay / poor - this is subjective): Euro 95
    Fuel filter replaced: not yet
    Pump fuel screen: not seen, will update
    Ethanol in fuel: 0% / 3% / 10%: Haven't got a clue
    Dropped bike: 0

1. My techie has just rang and confirmed the fuel pump has failed, the whole assembly has a new part number and costs about 250 now - not the 500 I was expecting and not the one listed on the non-franchised websites like aprilia yorkshire. I have ordered one, if it's different to the one that's been removed I'll let you know. Hopefully this new part is an upgrade.
    2. My bike has never been run out of fuel, but regularly runs down to a couple of litres.
    3. I frequently ride from full to 140-150 miles without stopping - someone mentioned a vacuum forming in the tank - do others who have had fuel pump problems use their bike in the same way? Or do the make more short or stop-start journeys?
    4. Anyone else who's had problems ride quite quickly? Could it be revs related? i.e. higher revs = more demands on the fuel pump?
    5. My bike also has a K+N, Akro's, PC3, airbox mod and secondary air mod - has anyone else's who has had a failure made any of these mods?
    6. Has everyone had the filter checked at the 12500 mile service as per the schedule?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    1. My techie has just rang and confirmed the fuel pump has failed, the whole assembly has a new part number and costs about 250 now - not the 500 I was expecting and not the one listed on the non-franchised websites like aprilia yorkshire. I have ordered one, if it's different to the one that's been removed I'll let you know. Hopefully this new part is an upgrade.
    2. My bike has never been run out of fuel, but regularly runs down to a couple of litres.
    3. I frequently ride from full to 140-150 miles without stopping - someone mentioned a vacuum forming in the tank - do others who have had fuel pump problems use their bike in the same way? Or do the make more short or stop-start journeys?
    4. Anyone else who's had problems ride quite quickly? Could it be revs related? i.e. higher revs = more demands on the fuel pump?
    5. My bike also has a K+N, Akro's, PC3, airbox mod and secondary air mod - has anyone else's who has had a failure made any of these mods?
    6. Has everyone had the filter checked at the 12500 mile service as per the schedule?
    Hi Paul

2. Same but my red light comes on around 120-130 miles

3. I get the vacuum when i'm near empty (pop sound when opening fuel cap - assume thats it) but would never make it 150 miles! How fast do you ride and how aggressively?

5. K&N and airbox mod but no known issues

I ride pretty quickly/aggressively...I've not heard of anyone else popping th secondary air pipe... My fuel light used to come on a lot earlier but I had a fuel gauge sender replaced under warranty.

apriliaforum newb ELTERRIBLESVEN's Avatar
    I ride quickly and agressive too. Usually between 6.000 - 6.500 R.P.M. for 1, 1 1/2 hour on mountain roads. My red light comes on around 180 Km (115 milles) and I always refill the tank around 200 Km (125 milles).

I get the vacuum too and my engine mods are: PC3, Snorkel mod, iridium plug, K&N and Akrapovick with no dbkiller.

The bike runs fine (touch wood)

Quote Originally Posted by ELTERRIBLESVEN View Post
    I ride quickly and agressive too. Usually between 6.000 - 6.500 R.P.M. for 1, 1 1/2 hour on mountain roads. My red light comes on around 180 Km (115 milles) and I always refill the tank around 200 Km (125 milles).

I get the vacuum too and my engine mods are: PC3, Snorkel mod, iridium plug, K&N and Akrapovick with no dbkiller.

The bike runs fine (touch wood)
    Sounds like the main differences between your bike and mine are that you have done more miles and dropped yours once.

Hear that everyone else? The way to avoid this problem is to ride more! :-P

I'm glad you don't live in my street if you have no db killers! LOUD!!!

apriliaforum newb ELTERRIBLESVEN's Avatar
    Yep, they are loud. I usually ride with no db killers on open road only.

Fuel pump failure seems random due to poor manufacturing of the pump, whatever you do.

Sorry for my poor english.

apriliaforum newb
    Fuel pump problem: yes! it's really expensive (~ US1,200)
    Production date / model: 2006 / strada
    Miles / km (specify): 83,000km / 50 months on the road
    Owned since miles / km: 0km
    Know about previous history: 1st time changing the fuel pump
    Times the bike ran out of fuel: None
    Fuel quality (good / okay / poor - this is subjective): good, ExxonMobil 95 octane petrol
    Fuel filter replaced: No
    Pump fuel screen: dirty
    Ethanol in fuel: not certain. guessed it should be 0%
    Dropped bike: 3x

Hello 2wheels!

I have a question for you: How is the bike after 83 000 km??? Is your engine ok?
    Have you replaced something in the engine (distribution chain, piston, piston rings or something else)??? Is your engine eat oil between oil changes?

I quess that your bike has the moust km's in this pegaso forum.

apriliaforum newb
    hi, alex.

the engine's marginally rougher due to wear & tear. when the bike was newer, you can tell in the mirror clearly, whether a traffic policeman's tailing you. it's a little more fuzzy now due to more vibration. other than that, things seemed reasonable for a 4 year old bike.

Besides regular oil filter, spark plug & air filter change, i've not changed any major engine-related component other than this expensive fuel pump:-(

Engine oil & spark plug are changed every 3~4,000km though manual recommends every 10k. Maybe that's why oil level stays about the same. I don't meddle with the engine but i do ask the mechanic at the workshop to tune the timing chain & valve clearance when they get noisy. Guess others will do the same

i'm thinking to change the pistons rings around 100,000km. see how it goes :-)

My point is that the fuel pump design and build quality is extremely poor. The Yamaha design is far better

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Name:Ibis
    Fuel pump problem:No
    Production date / model: 06 Trail
    Miles / km (specify): 15000 miles
    Owned since miles / km: 1200 miles
    Know about previous history: Yes / no /not applicable (if yes, include below):Ex demonstrator so probably thrashed !
    Times the bike ran out of fuel: None
    Fuel quality (good / okay / poor - this is subjective): Good
    Fuel filter replaced: Not yet
    Pump fuel screen: Not seen / clean / dirty / very dirty Not seen
    Ethanol in fuel: 0% / 3% / 10% Not sure
    Dropped bike: I bought the bike very cheap as an ex demonstrator as it had been slid down the road creating a bit of cosmetic damage but a bargain and a great bike to boot, so Dropped ! No major problems ..

My bike is fixed, here's what I've gathered from Al at ASL (best Aprilia techie in the North East!) and a friend at Aprilia:

The old 500 ish assembly is now 250 ish. New part number but exactly the same part as far anyone can tell.
    The SXV pump mentioned as a potential replacement is also exactly the same, but has a sender for a warning light, not a gauge (like a Trail - might be the same).
    There have been warranty issues on SXV pumps, sometimes on brand new bikes which have been built but sat unsold in showrooms - one friend of mine who probably knows SXV's/RXV's as well as anyone in the UK suggested that the pumps "gummed up" if they sat in showrooms with fuel for too long.

Having thought about it and read the other guys posts on here, there was an unusual event in that my bike sat for a few months without being started - previously it probably had fresh fuel or at least a good run every 2-3 weeks at worst. That would back up the "gummed up" theory.

Has anyone else who has had the fuel pump failure problem stored their bike for winter, or has the bike been off the road for any length of time? Similarly, has anyone who has stored their bike for winter (with fuel in the tank) NOT had the issue?

All this aside, after 4 years and 15000 miles, there still isn't another bike I want and I am off touring Europe with the misses again on it in July.

apriliaforum prov-nov machaltcrz's Avatar
    Name: machaltcrz
    Fuel pump problem: Yes
    Production date / model: 2009 Pegaso 650 Trail
    Miles / km (specify): 1800 km
    Owned since miles / km: 0 km
    Know about previous history: No
    Times the bike ran out of fuel: Never
    Fuel quality (good / okay / poor - this is subjective): excellent 98 Octane
    Fuel filter replaced: No
    Pump fuel screen: Not seen
    Ethanol in fuel: No
    Dropped bike: Once, gently

The shop has replaced my fuel pump under warranty after servicing it once. When it went in for the replacement, after not starting, it started at the shop. Surmise that the trip out on the flatbed caused something to loosen, allowing the pump to run freely.

When the bike was returned from the shop after fuel pump replacement, it developed a coolant leak, rendering it un-usable once again.

This is the third major mechanical setback on this brand new machine. I am afraid I am developing a severe case of buyer's remorse. They pick it up again on Saturday, we'll see what happens this time.

I know why it's an off road bike - because it's always in the shop and off the road...
    machaltcrz
    '09 Pegaso Trail

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast