Thread: piaggio mp3 250 gas/engine/air problems

apriliaforum newb

piaggio mp3 250 gas/engine/air problems

For the past 1k miles, currently have 3800 miles on my 2007 piaggio mp3, the bike randomly shuts off. I get to a red light and it shuts off. It takes forever to crank up. Its like it doesnt get any gas. So tonight it happened again. I opened up the gas cap and tank, thinking that if I filled it up with more gas it might work. I screwed the cap back on and it finally started up. I did not fill the tank up, because i was on half a tank anyway. I started thinking there might be something with a vaccume or air leak in the fuel system if i opened unscrewed the gas tank lid and it started back up. It has happend at the most random times. is there something I can fix, do? It only has 3800 miles, but honestly, i do go balls to the wall everywhere i go. I full throtle 95 percent of the time. Could this cause the problem?

apriliaforum newb baldiniantonio's Avatar
    You can ask at a forum in Italy the Piaggio MP3

apriliaforum newb baldiniantonio's Avatar

piaggio-plug-in-hybrid-scooter:9000€

apriliaforum newb
    It's not an air leak problem. I'm pretty sure it's electrical. Check and tell me if I was right

apriliaforum newb
    I also drive mine all out balls to the wall ,I have 17272 miles on my 2007 . I also stall out a few times last month in the fast lane and in traffic. And one time it started to sputter and died just as i got of the road.I checked my oil because the last time the light came on but the oil is good and I just got it out of the shop 2 months agaio. checked the spark plug but its stuck in there way to tight.and checked the fuses but I cant tell if they are bad. So what could be the problem I dont know?

apriliaforum expert
    Is this a Carbed Quasar Engine ?? Or EFI some other engine?? Must be carbed EFI usually wont shut off like described

apriliaforum newb
    Just guessing, but I have read there is a fuel pump recall on 2009 Piaggio, Vespa, and Aprillia 250cc fuel injected engines. They apparently have the same engine. Maybe your fuel pump is failing?

apriliaforum newb
    mine is a 2008 400cc. Starting no problem, idle about 5 mins, tachometer jumping between 1200 to 1000 rpm. It will die off if it hit 900 rpm. On the move, the bike is good. It seems like those 3 years above have this problem.

apriliaforum newb
    I have the same bike and yr. But have not had this issue with mine. Are you aware of Modernvespa.com . This site will give ample knowledge to this predicament Im sure. Good luck.

apriliaforum newb
    Had same issue with my '07 around 16000 miles. Turns out, the fuel pump failed. Dealer replaced it and it went out again about 900 miles later. Dealer replaced again at no charge. My biggest issue is the tilt lock cable failures. I guess they ar EXTREMELY disposable. I've repaired it 3 times and it still fails. I suppose I will have to breakdown and finally replace it.