Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norge Trouble

It's not so much loss of compression as loss of charge. How much you loose *Traditionally* with high overlap figures has more to do with engine speed and harmonics. At cranking speed nothing works as it should and because the speed of sound is effectively a constant where a pipe and any cam work will be limited if one is relying on sonics. With modern street engines it is more a physical inhibition to gas movement that prevents over-scavenge.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Pete, you really made me laugh with that post about deflating the egos of sportbike riders

Deflating the ego's of sportbike squids would be a side benefit to owning a Bassa. Which is part of my current conundrum - I have been interested in a Bassa for a while and the Norge is capable of swaying my choice. Hmmmm. I am very interested in the 4 vlave head _and_ some ABS. Hmmmmm.

DM
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

1972 Laverda SF 750
    2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium 1100 - for sale

Any of the Tonti framed bikes are essentially the same. There have been very few real changes since about '97 apart from twin plugging with the last of the EV's and the vintage. Yup, they punch above their weight but compared to the Norge's Brevas and Grisos they are very dated, the CARC bikes are infinitely superior. One incredible shame for you is that you don't get the Bellagio in the USA. It is a truly superb little bike with all the fine points of the Calis but with the new six speed box and the CARC rear end. They also have the shortest stroke of any big block motor ever built and rev like crazy. You just hold 'em open to the rev limiter in every gear, (No tacho!) and muscle it about with the big bars. Superb fun. Why they don't bring 'em to the States I can't fathom?? Perhaps because they are *only* a 940cc engine.

Love the new paint scheme too.

Should have Griso rocker covers on though, that would make it really horn!

Pete
    Last edited by pete roper; 03-12-2010 at 04:20 AM.

Yeah Pete. you are completely right! That would be a great bike. If it was available in
    the Oooh Esss Ayyyyy.
    I just looked over my 401k account. I have to pay off a loan then I can get the Guzzi and pay Myself back the money I am spending for the bike.

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

1972 Laverda SF 750

I'd smack hard earned money down on a bellagio 1400, hell they got some 1400 engine deal they're working on, or so I thought, I'd rather stay Guzzi than move to harley but all my friends and co-workers keep pressuring me to get a hog, and the one I want is this one

throw on some hard leather bags and a quick detach windshield and Bamo, but if guzzi made something comparable for me I'd be allllll for it.
    Life's too short to ride, drink, or smoke crap.
    Rides-
    00' Guzzi V11 Sport custom, (sold)
    07.5 Aprilia RSVR trick, (totaled)
    98 Ducati ST2 (SOLD)
    09 DD750 nicely equipped.

Why worry about the swept volume? Beats me. The 940 is a great motor in its own right.

As it is the Nuovo Hi-Cam 8V certainly has the potential to be increased in capacity appreciably. Look at the meat between the studs and the cylinder.

The cylinder spigots are about 10mm thick at least too, (Sorry, no pic.).

If they want to stick the Nuovo Hi-Cam into the Bellagio all it would take is a new crank and rods, not a big deal. Boring it out to whatever is safe is easy enough, just a bit pointless, there are many other ways to get more power and torque than simply making the 'oles bigger.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by DeBenGuzzi View Post
    I'd smack hard earned money down on a bellagio 1400, hell they got some 1400 engine deal they're working on, or so I thought, I'd rather stay Guzzi than move to harley but all my friends and co-workers keep pressuring me to get a hog, and the one I want is this one

throw on some hard leather bags and a quick detach windshield and Bamo, but if guzzi made something comparable for me I'd be allllll for it.
    This is a lot of my interest in the Bassa. It is pretty close to this Hog (IMHO). Especially if you throw on the wide police bars (like I did on the Ambo I had a few years ago). And the Bassa has the big plus of having The Tonti Frame. Yay!! can corner like a demon. So Now I have to make up my mind on the Norge or a Bassa. Maybe I can consult my wife (like I ususally do when I can't make up my own mind).

DM

1972 Laverda SF 750

the size of the motor isn't my concern, its the size of the bike, I'm 6'3" 230lbs of american fatass with a big melon to top it off. I REALLY like the bellagio, can't get it here anyway or I would be more about it. Maybe a Cali Vintage but I felt a tiny bit cramped when I sat on one at a bike show few years back, also they aint cheap and basically the same less HP lump I got on my V11, my V11 does not make a good touring bike, I can't put bags on it but more wouldn't want to and the windscreen it does nothing
    Last edited by DeBenGuzzi; 03-13-2010 at 10:14 PM.
    Rides-
    98 Ducati ST2 (SOLD)

I actually mad the offer on Wildguzzi and Guzzitech that if anybody in the USA really wants one I can easily facilitate the purchase here and help with shipping to the USA. It wouldn't be cheap but it would be doable. As for parts and maintenance? All the computer software for all models of anything produced by Piggio is uploaded en-masse to Navigator so US shops have the tooling for the Bellagio. Parts? Most parts are 'Common' to other models and anything Bellagio specific could be ordered from 'Yorp' within a couple of days.

Problem is by my reckoning by the time it was landed and registered it would be much the same price as an 8V Griso. Not an issue if you really, really want a Bellagio but not splendid on a 'Value for Money' equivalent.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    I actually mad the offer on Wildguzzi and Guzzitech that if anybody in the USA really wants one I can easily facilitate the purchase here and help with shipping to the USA. It wouldn't be cheap but it would be doable. As for parts and maintenance? All the computer software for all models of anything produced by Piggio is uploaded en-masse to Navigator so US shops have the tooling for the Bellagio. Parts? Most parts are 'Common' to other models and anything Bellagio specific could be ordered from 'Yorp' within a couple of days.

Problem is by my reckoning by the time it was landed and registered it would be much the same price as an 8V Griso. Not an issue if you really, really want a Bellagio but not splendid on a 'Value for Money' equivalent.

Pete
    yeah and way too much to pay for a bike unseen or sat upon, let alone test ridden, maybe it wouldn't fit me in the least, or just don't like it in person. then I'm hosed and shoulda got a Griso.
    with how much money I don't have I'll probably just get a Victory V92 cruiser with bags and windshield all ready to go and broke in till I can get something I really want, but two bikes that can't tour is frustrating and I don't have pete roper money
    btw you're usch a guzzi forum whore pete
    Last edited by DeBenGuzzi; 03-13-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    Rides-
    98 Ducati ST2 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by DeBenGuzzi View Post
    I really want, but two bikes that can't tour is frustrating and I don't have pete roper money
    btw you're usch a guzzi forum whore pete
    Pete Roper money? What? Like a bit of loose change? Really, I'm not rich. I just don't carry debt and never have so after 35 years of work I can cut myself a bit of slack now and again and dip into the pot. You won't find any ostentatious shows of wealth at Casa Roper believe me!

As for being a whore? Damn right! An absolute slut!!!!

Pete

Like I told my wife's sister - I'm not a whore. whore's charge. I'm a slut.

But realistically speaking - If I didn't have a loan out on my 401 retirement account I could go get a Guzzi. However, the most realistic thing I would do is go to Guzzi Classics and ask them what they have in stock. Any leftover Stones or something like that. Something I could buy for half or a third the price of a Norge and then customize with whatever bags and pipes and bars I want. I still think the Norge is the best "turnkey" bike for me. Just start it up and go. When I was mentioning this idea of getting the Norge with a work buddy yesterday I realized that if I took out enough money to buy a Norge I could probably put a down payment on a house. why did I talk myself out of a new bike?!?

DM

1972 Laverda SF 750

So I just looked around youtube for video's on the 1200 Norge and the reviews looked good but the stock exhaust sounded like a bike with 1/10th the displacement! Then I found a video of a Norge with the Mistral cans - Big Improvement!! A veritable MUST for a big Guzzi. Mistral's or Staintune's. don't leave home without them.

DM

1972 Laverda SF 750

Dunno about Mistral but avoid Staintune unless you are willing to go for an expensive aftermarket map-modification kit.

Pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast