Thread: POSTING: Starter Relay Mod: Futura w/ Ford Relay

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Yes, thats a world class ass.
    Local girl, is she?

PS Profound tnx.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyytsö View Post
    Sure it is, but my bikes never break when I'm at the garage with tools. They usually do it at night time, when it is raining and no-one around. Except for the few living dead wondering around hungry for some fresh brains...
    That's the Joseph Lucas [Prince of Darkness] Rule: Your electrics will fail far from home in the middle of the night in the pouring rain.

FORTUNATELY, as the living dead crave Fresh Brains, I have nothing to worry about.

I used to carry a spare jar of this stuff when I drove British cars:

If the original smoke gets out, at least you have enough spare to get home. Provided that you can find the place to pour it back in.

Unfortunately, Magneti Marelli doesn't list an equivalent part IFAIK.

Job Well Done by Motech, very thorough write-up. Much appreciated.
    As we would say in Texas, give that man an Attaboy.

On a side note, what is it about motorbike wrenches and (a) "country" whiskey and (b) ceegars. Is this the standard self-reward for a job well done? Mere foreign car mechanics only get beer, Canadian if you're lucky.
    (We sed to cal Molson's Golden "hydraulic sandwiches", but that's befor eI became a Guiness Stout fanatic (the TRUE hydraulic sandwich).

I may have to look into this new set of habits.

Motech,

Great post and writeup... I finished my solenoid today along with the brown connector re-wire and I'm now getting great starts and 14.2 volts of charging power at 4k RPM's. I found that the old solenoid must have had a problem, and replaced it with an Echlin (made in USA) from Napa Auto Parts Store part number ST404.

Nice fit and connections. The bike isn't sure what to do now!!!

Kilroy

2004 Futura

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."~ George S. Patton

Good work Kilroy. I had an issue with the cheap brand too and ended up swapping it out for a genuine Ford unit. I like Echlin too though.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Motech,

Does anybody from your area get together for a weekend ride/camp trip? Myself and another friend would love to meet up for a ride up the 101 or into the Trinity Alps. He tells me that there are some great places to ride between you and I...
    2004 Futura

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."~ George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Motech,

Does anybody from your area get together for a weekend ride/camp trip? Myself and another friend would love to meet up for a ride up the 101 or into the Trinity Alps. He tells me that there are some great places to ride between you and I...
    Yeah, twice a year (spring and fall) a group from the South Bay Riders Forum does a 3-day NorCal weekend strafing all the roads worth seeking between your border and The Bay. Usually it crosses the state to Topaz near Tahoe, but last one (a month ago), we staged in Eureka and generally followed all the roads along the rivers between the coast and Hwy 5. The Eel, Salmon, Trinity, Klamath, Smith, Scott rivers, etc... No camping though, plush digs at the Best Western this trip, but Topaz rides of past have included tent pitching and lodges.

Here are some links to the last one:

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=99843

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...d.php?t=101001

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...d.php?t=101000

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...d.php?t=100990

If you're not already, consider joining SBR and keep an eye on the group ride section for upcoming events up your way. There are quite a few SBR transplants in the PNW, plus several PNW riders who chime in all the time. Sign on and introduce yourself here:

http://www.southbayriders.com/index.html

I'm Motech over there too, and I'm Steve on the blue RT in the photos linked above.
    Last edited by Motech; 11-02-2010 at 10:09 AM.

apriliaforum Member Martyn Walker's Avatar
    Just replaced my stock 50A solenoid with 150A Solenoid after my bike failed to start, after replacing it fired up 1st time without even having to charge my battery :-) there was no messing as it is a direct replacement just undo two nuts remove the two cables, disconnect at the connector, re connect the new one in (reverse of above).

Cost £25.00

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...id+for+APRILIA

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Walker View Post
    Just replaced my stock 50A solenoid with 150A Solenoid after my bike failed to start, after replacing it fired up 1st time without even having to charge my battery :-) there was no messing as it is a direct replacement just undo two nuts remove the two cables, disconnect at the connector, re connect the new one in (reverse of above).

Cost £25.00

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...id+for+APRILIA
    Can't get the link to work. Wanna re-check it? There's a few solenoids on UK fleabay right now, including some Aprilia specific. What make was yours? Seems you gotta be carefull what you replace the OEM with or cans of worms can open up.....

Quote Originally Posted by hareynolds View Post
    I used to carry a spare jar of this stuff when I drove British cars:

If the original smoke gets out, at least you have enough spare to get home.

Takes me right back; 'Basic vehicle electrical fault-finding', as told to my class of very young and gullible trainee Mechanics in the mid 1960's. Forget exactly how it went after all this time. Anybody out there remember it?

apriliaforum newb
    I just installed the Ford starter relay, but my bike won't start now. I hear a faint click and felt it coming from the relay. I attached the starter directly to the battery and the starter cranks. Any ideas on what this could be? Could the relay somehow not get enough power to close the circuit?

Energize the relay directly from the battery and see if it works.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    Energize the relay directly from the battery and see if it works.
    Very strange. I powered it directly from the battery and it worked. After that, it started working through the switch. Do new relays like this usually have to be broken in with a jolt?

-Robert

Not necessarily but things happen. Might have been stuck.

The primary ground side is troublesome sometimes, the blue wire. If it happens again, attach a jumper from battery ground to relay base and see if your cranking is restored. If so, trace the ground problem on the blue circuit.

Mine is having similar issue sometimes, and I have measured a 2-plus volt drop on that ground circuit. When grounding the base, it cranks perfectly. I will track it down and post up the cure with pix at a later date.

apriliaforum newb
    All of a sudden, my bike stops starting now. The relay just buzzes and the bike doesn't crank. I see the tachometer needle go up though (O_o).

I'll test the ground, but I think it works.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the starter to crank. For some reason, I'm getting continuity between the 2 main terminals when the relay is removed. Isn't it only suppose to have continuity if the relay is energized? I thought maybe it was a bad relay so I put another one in (I have the Ford and aftermarket Ford). Before testing it, there was no continuity between the main terminals. I tested with only the trigger terminals and I can clearly hear the relay clicking. I hook up the main terminals to test. The bike barely cranks and there's just a buzzing sound from the relay. I test continuity on the main terminals and my multimeter beeps!?!? Did I just fry this relay too?

I'm pretty confused now. Did I just somehow ruin 2 new relays?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast