Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: POSTING: Starter Relay Mod: Futura w/ Ford Relay

My OE relay is in a box at home. When i replaced it with the Yamy version, the motor cranked much faster, so it's probably no longer perfect. But it still worked. I'll check the coil tonight.

Same here, my relay was crap. It really is inconsequential though. Deefred's point is... Pointless. 2.2 amps is fine. I guarantee that new relay is less stressful on the starter button than the old POS.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

That Ford(Found on roadside ditch) relay likely has bigger contacts that are slammed together by a bigger electromagnet that's held back by a large spring. It stands to reason it draws more current than the OE.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    That Ford(Found on roadside ditch) relay likely has bigger contacts that are slammed together by a bigger electromagnet that's held back by a large spring. It stands to reason it draws more current than the OE.
    We'll see. I'll measure my friend's Tuono when he gets it back from the shop.

Or any of you could do it too. With key off and in neutral, provide power through your amp meter to the red lead (violet on the harness side), measure the cranking current and compare it to my 2.2 Amp measurement.

The relay is bigger. The coil is bigger. Longer wire, perhaps more resistance. It may draw less current.

I tested the three relays with my meter set a 2K.
    Aprilia relay----.003
    yamaha relay--.004
    ford relay------.003
    upload gambar
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
    2002 Aprilia Futura - sold
    2014 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force

after subtracting the meters wires, I read 3.3 ohms for my old OE. It's intuitively backwards, but it may indeed draw less current thru the switch.

after subtracting the meters wires, I read 3.3 ohms for my old OE. It's intuitively backwards, but it may indeed draw less current thru the switch.
    Less resistance at the relay should cause more current through the starter button.

Guess i wasn't clear, what seemed intuitive would be that the bigger solenoid would draw more current. in fact, it's just the other way round.

Maybe you should submit a patent

Guess i wasn't clear, what seemed intuitive would be that the bigger solenoid would draw more current. in fact, it's just the other way round.

Maybe you should submit a patent
    OK, got it.

I already have two requests from local Tuono owners to do the same to theirs. One of them had the Yamaha upgrade done last year, but his cranks slowly again, and we measured a loaded 2 volt drop across the secondary side, so that relay is weak too.

After one full season with that Yamy solenoid, mine is cranking a bit slower as well. My battery is now pushing 4 years, so it may be that

So what would have happened if you used the "I" connection for the blue wire instead of the base? BTW, looks like you paid a little too much http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4188. Of course shipping likely doubles that price.

So what would have happened if you used the "I" connection for the blue wire instead of the base?.
    Good question.
    Has it been determined if the Ford solenoid is safe?
    upload gambar
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
    2002 Aprilia Futura - sold
    2014 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force

So what would have happened if you used the "I" connection for the blue wire instead of the base?
    The base is the ground, and it must be grounded for the relay to function. The blue wire is the ground trigger, a relay input that is wired and grounded through the safety switches on your bike.

The "I" is a relay output. Like the larger starter output, it provides battery voltage to another component while cranking. In the sixties/seventies, it was used to provide a more stable signal to the ignition coil during diminished cranking battery voltage. (The "I" stands for ignition) It is unnecessary anymore, and Ford relays do not even have that output, but the aftermarket leaves it there for more comprehensive coverage with one part number.

So no, grounding the "I" will not work. In fact, it will cause a direct short circuit if the relay is grounded at the base and energized.
    Last edited by Motech; 02-25-2010 at 12:13 AM.

got it, thanks.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast