Thread: Poor man's rear shock upgrade

Poor man's rear shock upgrade

So it appears that while I'm waiting for my intiminators to show up, I've come to terms with the fact that I cannot scratch up the cash for a new shock of any style for the time being. So I am thinking that perhaps a decent comprimise would be to invest in the Hyperpro rear spring only and keep the stock Sachs shock. Is this a wasted investment? If I have 19000 miles on the shock already, should I just save my pennies for a Ricor or Hagon, or something of that sort? Or is it a wise move to put the $120 into the spring and at least gain someting?

I am afraid that the comments of the poor quality of the OEM shock has got me concerned as to not invest in the spring.

anyone have some input?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My advice will probably fly in the face of all that has been written lately in the various threads but here it is, for what it is worth.

When I bought my Caponord, one of the things that I identified as a priority to modify was suspension, both front and rear. I spoke to a local suspension expert about the options and we agreed that he would overhaul the original shock and re-valve it to suit my weight and riding style. He did the overhaul and re-valved it closer to Ohlins valving and the difference was amazing. I was very impressed with the result.

One of the reasons I responded to the thread is to relate this bloke's assessment of the shock which is quite different from many of the opinions expressed on this forum. He said that once he pulled it apart and had a look, he considered it was quite a well built shock with no real issues other than he thinks the valving is quite a way off from where it should be. My previous bike had Ohlins shocks and I'm used to motorcycles with top grade suspension and while I accept this is a different sort of bike, I don't find anything wrong with what I've got and for a whole lot less money.

I know suspension is up there with tyres and oils in terms of people being passionate and having very strong views and I'm probably as guilty as most. I was certainly considering either Ohlins or Wilbers this time round but I didn't and was pleasantly surprised with the result. I'd certainly go down this path again.

Hope this is helpful and hasn't confused the issue even more.

Steve Cox

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    Sounds good Steve, didnt know the unit was rebuildable.
    Only possible prob thereafter is the possibility of the remote hydraulic preload taking a dump..
    The hyperpro springs transform the standard suspension, well worth doing.
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Toe Cutter, you are right on the money there about the hydraulics in the preload and they had already gone, probably before I bought the bike. The bike had been warehoused for quite a number of years by the Aprilia distributors and hydraulics are not good at sitting unused for extended periods. That was overhauled at the same time as the shock and now works fine.

I thought about changing springs front and rear. Hyperpro didn't seem too far away in spring rate to the standard springs and no-one from either Wirth or Touratech could tell me what the rate of their springs were. As it turned out I was able to set the sag to an acceptable position with the standard rear springs and it works fine for me. I rarely take a pillion and even when I have full panniers and top box fitted, it really only adds another 20 or 30 kilograms.

Definitely money well spent as far as my needs go.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by ELMOSISU View Post
    So it appears that while I'm waiting for my intiminators to show up, I've come to terms with the fact that I cannot scratch up the cash for a new shock of any style for the time being. So I am thinking that perhaps a decent comprimise would be to invest in the Hyperpro rear spring only and keep the stock Sachs shock. Is this a wasted investment? If I have 19000 miles on the shock already, should I just save my pennies for a Ricor or Hagon, or something of that sort? Or is it a wise move to put the $120 into the spring and at least gain someting?

I am afraid that the comments of the poor quality of the OEM shock has got me concerned as to not invest in the spring.

anyone have some input?
    I would advise that you get a matched pair of springs - so if you get a Hyperpro rear get their fork springs, or at least springs with compatible rates. If you have Hyperpro rear with stock fork springs, I reckon the attitude and handling will be very strange. It seems that the intiminators, should you choose to fit them later , work well with Hyperpros. The Hyperpros certainly worked OK with the Racetech emulators.

Your rear shock could be a bit past it's prime but it has plenty of adjustment range - you must increase the rebound damping if you fit a stiffer spring - otehr wise you'll get a pogo stick (Hyperpro recommend 3 clicks from fully closed - stock setting is 15 or so - I found 5 click was just right.)

CC

Hi, i have touratech progressive front springs which are fulll length unlike the originals or the hyperpro and therefore do not require the spacer. I fitted a hyperpro rear spring to my standard rear shock at 25000 miles and the capo is fine with this combination. If i carried a pillion with the original rear spring the shock would constantly bottom out and that was with full preload dialled in. With the Hyperpro spring i only have it wound in four clicks from the minimum setting now and i don't have to adjust it even if i carry a pillion. Its transformed the bike completely. Steve