Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Battery Thread

Question My Battery Thread

I've been debating whether I need to go from a 180 cca to a 230 cca battery. If I let my bike sit for three days, the battery will not have enough to turn the bike over. So the last time I parked it I decided to pull the battery cables off to see what would happen. Seven days later I hooked the cables back on and the bike fired up like I just got off it an hour ago.

Today I did what the manual states and I pulled the two fuses from under the seat. I'll let it sit for a few days then we'll see how it reacts.

I'm going to try to track down whatever is pulling the battery down in a couple of days. I just can't see the dash and the PCM being the culprit. Maybe though. I was going to buy a 230, but I can't see it fixing my issue unless that 50 ca's is all it needs to overcome the parasitic draw. This bike should be able to sit for a few weeks before needed a jump. All my others were this way. I ride both enough year round to not need any tenders. Never needed one in the past, not buying one now.

FF
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing Cans‡Map2‡Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs‡15-40‡AF1 Link Plates‡Aprilia Sliders
    ‡
    Laminar Windscreen‡Lowered Pegs‡LED City and Tag Lights
    ‡
    ProTaper Universal Low‡Clear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

the extra CCA won't help with your problem, it will simply be harder on your charging system...
    you either have excessive parasitic draw or an old battery that has seen better days.

Pull the small fuses one by one until you find the circuit that is causing your draw, that will give you a more focused area to look at...if you're handy with a VOM, you can figure it out alot quicker.

The fact that Aprilia suggest disconnecting the battery (well, pulling the main fuses) tells us this biike has excessive draw to start with (I have never seen that suggestion on any of my other/previous bikes). The longer it sits, the worse it is of course...
    How old is the existing battery? In a viby Twin, a battery can die in just a couple of years.

IMO, no need to strp up to a bigger battery.

Obviously it's not a bad battery if it can sit for a week and fire like new...
    Cored OE Racing Cans‡Map2‡Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs‡15-40‡AF1 Link Plates‡Aprilia Sliders
    ‡
    ‡

Many mods

Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

by a "bad" battery, I mean one that is no longer fuctioning 100%.

Over time (and run downs) a batterys capacity will be reduced.
    If the battery has repeatedly been run down, it might only be working at a fraction of its initial rate.
    just a thought

Like stated, I let the battery sit for a week without a hint of a problem. Battery is fine. When I had my '03 RSV last year I used it's battery... same results.

Battery is fine. It's me trying to find out why these bikes use so much power when down. A little more research will tell me if going bigger will make the difference. My first Futura never had this problem, but I don't know what battery was in it.
    ‡
    ‡

Many mods

Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

You are interested in finding the culprit that is draining the battery on the Futura. I would say part of it is the clock/dash/ECU, but I really don't know what drains the battery.

All I know is the battery does get drained on this bike...and fast! You can pull the fuses or you can do something far simpler and better for your battery too: get a battery tender. I know you said you're not buying one now, but trust me, they're worth it.

Go to Pep Boys and get the Battery Tender Jr. for about $30. I've had mine for over 2 years and keep the bike on it constantly when I'm not riding it. Starts on the first crank every time. I have a simple Batteries Plus battery in my bike. Don't know what the cca rating is.

I have a pigtail (that came with the Battery Tender) that I have hooked directly to the battery and a wire runs down through the frame. I plug the Tender into this SAE plug so I don't have to take the seat off to get to the battery---simple---and I'm safe for my next ride. One of the best investments I ever made.

This bike probably does need one, BUT my storage unit doesn't provide electricity.
    ‡
    ‡

Many mods

Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

That sucks. Well, run you an extension cord out there.

BT is not an option right now. The unit is 1.4 miles away from my dwelling.
    But the guy that runs the place said he doesn't have electricity there... YET. There's electricity there, just no outlets.
    ‡
    ‡

Many mods

Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

With a brand new battery mine can sit for two weeks plus a few days and it'll still start. Barely. With the old battery it was a few days max.

Pull the fuses and it can sit forever as long as it isn't too cold.
    Put it on a tender and it'll fire immediately after many months in a cold garage.

With your situation I'd drop off the bike at your storage place, pull the battery and take it home.
    '03 Futura, silver/blue. S/S Q-D, charging/wiring mod, Smoke d/b windscreen, NWS c/f hugger, R+G frame sliders, Rhino fork sliders, powerlet, custom 916 cans, Hyper-Lites on the crossbar, Stebel Nautilus air horn, Acumen DGV, Kimpex heated grips, GSXR mirrors, various CKruzel stickers, minor road rash for added style points and that "lived in" look. Could really use a respray.

Why take the battery home if I have no problem if I unhook it?.?.?
    ‡
    ‡

Many mods

Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

I was thinking along the lines of keeping it warmer so it wouldn't go flat quite as fast. Even without the draw the cold does take it's toll.

Your winters are typically a little warmer than mine though.
    '03 Futura, silver/blue. S/S Q-D, charging/wiring mod, Smoke d/b windscreen, NWS c/f hugger, R+G frame sliders, Rhino fork sliders, powerlet, custom 916 cans, Hyper-Lites on the crossbar, Stebel Nautilus air horn, Acumen DGV, Kimpex heated grips, GSXR mirrors, various CKruzel stickers, minor road rash for added style points and that "lived in" look. Could really use a respray.

2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Φhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Φhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Quote Originally Posted by Rich'sRST View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of keeping it warmer so it wouldn't go flat quite as fast. Even without the draw the cold does take it's toll.

Your winters are typically a little warmer than mine though.
    If it was going flat when it got cold that would be one thing, but it's staying up when cold... as long as its disconnected.
    ‡
    ‡

Many mods

Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Hi, as with the thread link from deefred. Mine was the same. found it to be a sticking fuel pump relay, which kept the pump powered up. new relay, sorted!!!!

to check, when you switch on the ignition can you hear the pump start up, if not is already powered up from the sticking relay.
    From Hull and back. 2002 stream silver, German import now with uk lights and speedo. Gixer coils, charger and brown connector mods, stainless fuel connector, panniers, H&B rack and top box, baglux tank cover & bag. Also in the Garage: 10 plate Benelli Tre1130 Tornado, and the wifes Ducati 696 & NSR125.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast