Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mysterious clutch issues

what about any scoring on the sides of the basket? Soring here will casue the stack not to slide well back and forth. Did you see any abrasion from where the springs go?
    As always, thanks in advance,

The Feast

'01 SL Falco
    La bellezza di Aprilia che ancora un segreto

apriliaforum Junkie blindboypig's Avatar
    Got the new pushrod from AF1 (one day shipping - amazing!) and the difference is pronounced. My pushrod looks almost identical to Kat's (the worn one in the pics) although my bike has considerably fewer miles (about 31k miles as opposed to her 81k miles). It appears that the pushrod is wearing into the slave cylinder bearing, causing a significant (about .25 in) reduction in throw-out. The shoulder appears to ride on top of the bearing, but less area = greater load = greater wear. Dunno, I'm just guessing. But the similarity of the two rods makes me consider getting another new one for my bike. FWIW, neither of us ride the clutch, both learning to ride on vintage Brit bikes. We both adhere pretty strictly to the "find neutral before you stop and never leave your hand on the clutch lever for more than a few seconds" school of thought. Anyway, the pics. Any comments? Anyone else wanna look at their pushrod to compare? I'm curious if our new rod will look like the used ones quickly or if it will take several thousands of miles to recreate.

Yeah, that's a real problem and another point against the use of a bearing in the slave.

Does the stock slave use a bearing on the thrust side of the piston? Both bikes were bought used - one with the Evo, one quickly replaced with the Evo after the stock seals shot. I never paid much attention to the stocker - just threw it in a box - now residing somewhere amidst the collection.
    Would a single ball bearing in the ID of the slave bearing prevent this - or would it cause more mayhem? Just thinking out loud. I really don't mind buying and installing a new pushrod every 80 thousand miles or so (relatively cheap and easy to do), but if the new rod looks like this within a few thousand miles, my concern will mount

There is no bearing in the stock slave and no need for one because neither the piston or the push-rod rotate.

Ah, correct - the pusrod IS stationary. Ooops!

did this stop the clutch drag , ?
    aso did you here any diference with regarding clutch rattle ?
    Last edited by joecrx; 01-31-2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: wrong post
    same sh..t diferent day

Is the new rod modified over the early one - that shoulder on the old rod looks like it's been done in a machine shop.

i dont know if the original push rod looked like the first pic when new, if it didint then thers alot of metal worn not just on the push rod but on the surface it was rubbing against , does anyone know if these have been modified ?
    same sh..t diferent day

been doing some research and foumd this from the rsv section , just to see if the push rod has been modified its hard to tell but does look like some wear
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by joecrx; 01-31-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    same sh..t diferent day

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12