Thread: Converting TE 250 to supermoto

apriliaforum Member

Converting TE 250 to supermoto

Anyone tried this or know what to do to make this work?

Looking for a first bike for my 5' 6" daughter that I'll want to ride as well. One husky dealer told me the TE 250 would be tractable enough for a beginner, and could be lowered, for my own use, however, I'd prefer to convert to supermoto. Any thoughts on this?

It would have to be lowered quite a bit (37" seat). Gearing is very low and gear ratios are quite closely spaced for street use. The bike is in it's element in tight, technical trails (not many better in my opinion) but the motor screams on the street. 45mph = 7500 rpm in sixth gear with stock gearing.
    07 Tuono

apriliaforum Member
    Hey thanks, good info. The more I think about it, I wouldn't mind having an off-road capable bike, but from what you're saying, the 250 is no good for the street(?).

It looks like husky does have a supermoto conversion kit which accounts for gearing. However there's no getting around that seat height. Does that height account for sag?

That is a static seat height (may even be 38", don't know about the new ones) - I'm 5'11'' 180lbs and am on my toes. It is quite light so it is not an issue but a 5'6" person may have some trouble.
    The Husky is pretty high strung for a beginner bike. I wouldn't call it explosive power by any means but the Japanese offerings in the on/off road 250 arena are shorter and much more forgiving for someone starting out.

Good on the street? Ride one if you can. It's tall, has long travel suspension, close ratio gear box, very narrow seat, it is a dirt bike, very nearly a MX bike with lights. You may find it acceptable with a SM kit but IMO it is not what the bike was intended to do.

Hope this helps.
    07 Tuono

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
    That is a static seat height (may even be 38", don't know about the new ones) - I'm 5'11'' 180lbs and am on my toes. It is quite light so it is not an issue but a 5'6" person may have some trouble.
    The Husky is pretty high strung for a beginner bike. I wouldn't call it explosive power by any means but the Japanese offerings in the on/off road 250 arena are shorter and much more forgiving for someone starting out.

Good on the street? Ride one if you can. It's tall, has long travel suspension, close ratio gear box, very narrow seat, it is a dirt bike, very nearly a MX bike with lights. You may find it acceptable with a SM kit but IMO it is not what the bike was intended to do.

Hope this helps.
    Appreciate it!