Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Coils

" if I can protect a few vital parts then so what!! "

So which parts might those be?

Update,

Back in the UK at the moment and had a long chat with Amrish, who is coordinating the production of the coils.

They have 1000 coils on order, they will come with an HT lead with each coil, which they assure me will be a better fit than the stock Aprilia item at the plug end. Having sent them my originals they were shocked at the state of both the HT lead and the Sagem coil I sent in.

I have been running four of these coils on my bike, that is the Renault Clio v6 coils on which these are based. I have had no issue with them so far.

They are waiting for the first batch to arrive so I can grab four and test them out.

They are also thinking of using a LONDON based Capo rider who would be interested in helping quality control these items, before general release, any takers ?

Finally this company has been supplying autmotive electric parts for 33 years and their own make of coils for the last 7, so they are no fools at this game. The quote today was that the item would not be released for general sale until we have proved that it is up to speck.

All sounds very encouraging to me !

Oh BTW they already supply internationally so US, Aussie and South A riders - no issues when I mention supplying to you.

Ugly58
    To boldly go where no brit has gone before, or is likely to afterwards !

Do they have any time frame for these new coils? Up to spec can mean a lot of things... it would be cool to know if that means 20,000 miles, a year, a sample fitting on your bike and another?

Obviously there is interest in these coils from the forum. I suppose they haven't an idea of pricing yet? Will they sell direct or from the internet? I'm in the US, will they have a supplier here as well? I'm guessing you might not yet know their plans... even if they had an outlet using e-bay US , UK, AU, I would think Capo owners would have enough access to purchase the coils at least until they set up other venues to supply them?

Keep watching this spot....as they say

vivo

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    Great news, sounds very promising Ugly, keep up the good work!
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum Member
    hi guys, i have been watching with great interest, my coils have gone off sick so i need to replace them, i did buy a set from the net and after hours of dremeling (new word) i have decided that its just too much of a bodge up to put on an italian bike, they're bad enough already. soooooooo, i need a set of ugly58 specials now please. don't worry about a trial period, aprilia didn't. ha ha
    mo_biker

apriliaforum Member

well so

where abouts are you toe cutter. tipp me
    mo_biker

Update,

Received an email today apparently sample coils should be ready by mid Jan. We will need a couple of weeks testing as long as that goes OK, we should be have a source of cost effective coils by Feb.

good news
    and keep up the good work your a saviour to alot of us

seasons greating s to you

Sounds realy positive UGLY good on yer mate. Steve

A day's ride from the Tail of the Dragon, NC USA
    Hi Ugly, just checking in about status on the alternative coils. I have my tank off for the brown connectors and various other maintenance jobs, so now would be a great time to slip in some new coils. Let us know!
    Cheers
    2003 Caponord (sold to Pit-Man)
    1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

Sorry fella, no new news at this time, still expecting the coils mid Jan. I have run the v6 renault coils from the same supplier for over 500 miles now without a problem.

New News !!!!

Hello Dean,
    Just an update, 100 custom made leads have just arrived. overall inspection looks very good. also made sure the rubber cover that fits on the coil end is a tight seal, hopefully preventing any water penetration. looks like a very durable lead. i guess once we test ourselves on the actual coils we will know.

Coils should arrive very soon, although we still have not got a definitive date, still expecting mid Jan.

we have tried the the leads on the V6 coils and they fit snug, so they should fit perfect on the coils as they have been made (we hope) with a slightly thicker pin inside, as originals.

anyway will email you once coils are in my hand, and then we can test.
    Good news indeed, we are progressing well toward an affordable coil alternative !

Coils arrive !!!!!

Received this today,

Hello Dean,

THE COILS HAVE ARRIVED!!!!! can you send me a detailed application guide for these coils so i can get a advert ready and forward out the link.. also any technical data you have on these, ie how many coils are required on various models.

kind regards
    Amrish

So there you go as promised a viable source of new Coils and HT leads. We still don`t know the quality on these, other than I have done about 1000 miles on the original versions with no issues at all.

Application Guide is on the way (Capo and Futura only ???) and I guess its 4 that I have Although it feels like 8 given the amount of failures !

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY58 View Post
    Received this today,

Hello Dean,

THE COILS HAVE ARRIVED!!!!! can you send me a detailed application guide for these coils so i can get a advert ready and forward out the link.. also any technical data you have on these, ie how many coils are required on various models.

kind regards
    Amrish

So there you go as promised a viable source of new Coils and HT leads. We still don`t know the quality on these, other than I have done about 1000 miles on the original versions with no issues at all.

Application Guide is on the way (Capo and Futura only ???) and I guess its 4 that I have Although it feels like 8 given the amount of failures !
    Rock n Roll Ugly!, where do i sign?
    Fair dues to you for sorting this, theres a pint in Ireland waiting for ya
    Brum Brum

Quote Originally Posted by the_toe_cutter View Post
    Rock n Roll Ugly!, where do i sign?
    Fair dues to you for sorting this, theres a pint in Ireland waiting for ya
    Too right!
    And five litres of Fosters on the bar Down Under...
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast