Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Coils

What is the status so far? I have a Capo in the garage that is in need of a set of coils. I hate to have my machine sitting idle (even tho it looks fantastic just sitting there, it would look even better going down the road). The cold winter months in Colorado are upon us, so I am not in a real hurry, but just the same, it bothers me to have my bike not running.

I dont mind doing some mods to get going again if it keeps me from spending $152 each from the dealer. From what I have read, there are several options, what is the best? It would be great to see the plug and play option that Ugly58 is working on soon.

Anyone have any pics and instructions that an electrically challenged guy like me could understand?
    2 Strokes: "If it aint smokin, it's broken!"
    74' Yamaha RD350
    79' Yamaha RD 400F "Daytona Special"
    02' Aprilia Caponord
    92' Kawi KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

WWW.WESTERNCOVINTAGE.COM

Update,

The coils are currently being developed by the manufacturer. They already produce and equivalent, which are the coils for the Renault V6 Engine. I have modified two of these and I am running them with no issues.

If you need coils urgently then I would suggest searching EBay.co.uk for Renault v6 coils and be prepared to trim some plastic from them. Thats the only real modification as the LT connections are the same. There is a picture of them at the beginning of this thread.

Next up the HT connections are shorter pins and using the standard Aprilia HT leads is probably possible but my require some slight modification. I have not tried this.

I will contact the supplier I am working with on getting the plug and play set and check on progress. Given the speed things have moved so far I guess it will just be a matter of weeks.

Ugly58
    To boldly go where no brit has gone before, or is likely to afterwards !

Thanks for the info and all the work you are doing on this Ugly58!

Like I said, the riding season here is pretty much over, so it is a lot easier to be patient, plus if I need to buz around town and cause trouble, I have my trusty 74' RD 3 fiddy
    74' Yamaha RD350
    02' Aprilia Caponord

WWW.WESTERNCOVINTAGE.COM

All,

Latest update

My original Sagem Coil and HT Lead is now with the manufacturer. He will turn around a sample and have it back in about 7 days from now. Providing that the sample is up to snuff then the supplier will order 500 and the production run is about 28 days.

So for those who need something now, sorry its going to be another month. For those who will need in the future, they are coming, hang on in there.

UGLY58

Good-o - saintly fellow that you are!
    Seriously, Capo (and Futura) owners around the globe genuinely appreciate the time & trouble you're going to for the greater good.
    Onya!
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

You Da Man! I will be waiting anxiously til next month,

Thanks again.
    74' Yamaha RD350
    02' Aprilia Caponord

WWW.WESTERNCOVINTAGE.COM

your a star

any idiea of price ?

roll on 4 wks

Thank you!

Dear ugly,

Thank you for all your help! i am not in the market for the coils but, having such a rare bike its nice to know that your fellow forum members are so supportive!
    Thanks again for all your hard work looking forward to your testing of these new coils
    Paris
    2015 RED Capo Too many smiles to the gallon!
    2006 Capo, Still one of my favorites! Sold: at AF1 Austin
    Ducati St4s 03, (My ride in bella Italia)
    Old Faithful Triumph Daytona T595...1998
    2006 Triumph Speed Triple sold
    1986 Yamaha FZ(sold)

All,

Latest is that he is producing 500 in the first batch so don`t think there will be a shortage, so no waiting required.

What the marketing plan is not sure, I think E-Bay will be one.

I have 4x coils from this manufacturer (although in a slightly different guise) fitted now and no problems so far.

Sweet! Can we pre order?

Thanks again for all you have done
    74' Yamaha RD350
    02' Aprilia Caponord

WWW.WESTERNCOVINTAGE.COM

I to wait with baited breath.. I always carry a spare for long trips.. however it is an old one, so I will be in the market for one or two when they come out depending on price.

Reason for failures?

I'm just wondering if we - or anyone - has determined just WHY these poxy things fail? And if there's a commonality in which of the coils is first to break down?
    For example, if there's a consistancy in which one goes first, you'd have to think that there's either an environmental issue (it gets too hot, or is exposed to moisture, etc) and if there's a consistency for coils failing in hot dry weather, or cold wet weather.
    Irrespective of what, if anything, is deteremined, they're clearly a weak link and deserve the floatation test (put in bucket of water, if they float, they're okay) and I'm sure most of us will opt for a set of Ugly58's replacements, either as an immediate fitment or on-the-shelf replacements.
    Looking forward to hearing about price & availability.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Quote Originally Posted by Precis View Post
    I'm just wondering if we - or anyone - has determined just WHY these poxy things fail? And if there's a commonality in which of the coils is first to break down?
    For example, if there's a consistancy in which one goes first, you'd have to think that there's either an environmental issue (it gets too hot, or is exposed to moisture, etc) and if there's a consistency for coils failing in hot dry weather, or cold wet weather.
    Irrespective of what, if anything, is deteremined, they're clearly a weak link and deserve the floatation test (put in bucket of water, if they float, they're okay) and I'm sure most of us will opt for a set of Ugly58's replacements, either as an immediate fitment or on-the-shelf replacements.
    Looking forward to hearing about price & availability.
    i always thought that the rear 2 coils were in an exposed location being directly above the exhaust down pipes and open to the elements, water frome the back wheel could find its way up there. i made a heat/water shield for my bike that picks up the rear frame mounting bolts and is folded from aluminium sheet.

the other reason for failure is that the sagem coils were just poorly made, i have a renault scenic, it has sagem coils and guess what........they all needed replacing at 60k miles (one failed but the breakdown guy recomended i replace the other 3 as they fail in quick succession). the coil problem on the renault is well known and gave the car bad press. other wise the senic has been a cood car with few problems.

i have just starte working at a company involved with engine manufacture and all the engines i have seen so far have pencil coils, of one sort or other, mounted on the spark plugs.

apriliaforum expert
    I think I read on the french forum that it had something to do with a poor lacquer quality on the copper wire coil.

For what it is worth, I met a couple of guys at the ACIM who livein Italy, during the summer the bike gets to hot, so they protect their coils by wrapping heat bandage around the pipes.. I have done the same, doesnt look to pretty, but there again, I use the bike 365 days of the year and if I can protect a few vital parts then so what!!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast