Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Coils

GBP 24.99 is the best deal I can find

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Amrish, who runs this ebay shop is also looking into making up HT leads for the Capo to match these coils. 30 mins of Dremel work and 24.99 and you got a new coil.

As Valeo own JCI now (apparently), I would have thought (putting my MBA hat on) that producing them on one production line, saves a few bob. Therefore I would not be surprised if they come from them same production line as the JCI Aprilia OEM coils.
    To boldly go where no brit has gone before, or is likely to afterwards !

Sherburn in Elmet, North Yorkshire, UK (from Oct 2004 till April 2017) then moved to Somerset West, South Africa
    Hi UGLY58,

Let me add my 50cents worth to this debate. I purchased two coils on ebay last month and these were for 19.95 ea. Unfortunately the listing has since been withdrawn. The listing was for the PEUGEOT 406 607 807 IGNITION COIL PACK 597077 which I think is identical to what you have found. Now here is the good news.... Instead of having new leads made up all you have to do is break off the "pin" end of the old coil so that you can access the brass pin. This is moulded into the end piece but comes out ever so easily when the moulding is cracked with the aid of large side cutters. The pin then comes out with a coil spring beneath this. The pin and the spring then slots into the replacement coil once the rubber piece has been removed. All that I did was to mix up a small amount of epoxy glue and with a good weight on top of the pin and using a jewellers screwdriver to get the glue round the pin, that was it. After 15 min to let the epoxy dry ...a new coil !! The LT connections are identical to the Aprilia version. I didn't have a Dremel but 5min with a miniature hacksaw and the extra plastic moulding was history. I have subsequently wrapped about 1/4 inch of the coil end and about 1.5 inch onto the spark lead with some 3M self amalgamating rubber insulation tape (this tape has very high insulating properties). I did this as the problem I found with the 2 faulty coils (both front mounted coils) was that a "very small" diameter hole had been burnt thro the insulating moulding onto which the plug lead mounts and the spark was tracking to the metal coil cover. Hence the HT getting to spark plug itself was being seriously diluted if not totally bi-passed to earth before reaching the spark plug. I was able to see the burn marks on the brass pin from the old coil when I broke it from the moulding. We were able to insert a very thin coppper wire into the burn hole that actually made contact with the brass pin and we measured this with a fluke meter. Needless to say I now have a new bike again with the spark now back to normal. I must also say that the tracking was on the under side of the coil, ie the part where any moisture would collect - hence the tracking in the area. The 2 coils under the seat were still perfect. I wrapped them with the 3M tape just to keep them that way. Good luck with your mods. Very easy and well worth the excercise. 2 coils @ 40 instead of the 168 quoted for the Aprilia coils. Go for it !!!
    Cheers
    Adrian

adrianh

Code:
    The listing was for the PEUGEOT 406 607 807 IGNITION COIL PACK 597077
    From what I can see and from the beneli site these coils serial 597094 are the one to go for as they fit the standard HT lead, but needs plastic body adjustments, with the aide of Mr Dremel. Your mod seems to have been on the HT side which seems to be yet another alternative.

The 597094 ones are also the correct spec, I guess from your words that yours must be as you mention no problems after fitting. Very reassuring that you have had success.

My intention is to find the best alternative, not MY alternative, thanks for your input.

Sherburn in Elmet, North Yorkshire, UK (from Oct 2004 till April 2017) then moved to Somerset West, South Africa
    UGLY58,

I think you'll find that the part no you are quoting actually fits directly onto the spark plug. The HT lead does not fit into the end of the coil without some extra mods. I just found the way I did it was very easy and quick. Take a look at the following link. The guys have really gone to town with photos and all !!! You may have to decode abit of french but the pics tell all. The symptoms I spoke about ie the needle hole causing the tracking is also detailed very well in the pics.

http://motardsardechois.free.fr/Page...20allumage.pdf

Cheers
    Adrian

AdrianH,

From the renault clio v6 forum.

597077 (20.22) was superseded to 597094 according to their computer.
    I have sent a photo of the original capo male type HT connection to the supplier I am using in the UK along with your french pdf file. It looks like there may have been a new way of fitting the coils onto the plugs on the these later models. I will try and establish the facts and let you know the results.

Excellent article find though, I translated some of it using google, actually works really well !

The english part at the bottom is a cut and paste from this forum on using the other types of coils from renault/citroen.

Bon

Ugly58
    Last edited by UGLY58; 10-20-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: update

With Regards to the raised male pin, mine seem to have a raised pin inside too, like the original.

I have already asked my suppliers to make as originals, but that will take several weeks,

As for leads, im awaiting confirmation from my suppliers about these also. but the leads are straight forward, i can even get these done here, locally.

I will be in touch regarding the leads, and probably email you a picture once i get a sample.
    Guys,

Received this today from the supplier, although we are only matching photos at present his coils do have a raised pin inside the HT end, which should allow connection of a HT lead as in the Capo. It may take a custom lead but he is investigating that also. In regards the body modification/cuts required he has asked the supplier to look into producing one with a smooth Capo type body. This would be the holy grail, I will let you know.

Ugly58

keep us informed ugly

your doing a cracking job

STOP PRESS !

The manufacturers have started machining a Caponord specific matching coil !

Early days and it will be a few weeks before we get a working item, but they are obviously up for it. As they already produce a spec match electronically I guess a new coil body to match that of the OEM Capo part is not really that much more work. I will let you know once I get photos.

Is the Capo the only bike that uses this type of coil ?

I guess the Futura is the same ?

Ugly58

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar

coils

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY58 View Post
    STOP PRESS !

The manufacturers have started machining a Caponord specific matching coil !

Early days and it will be a few weeks before we get a working item, but they are obviously up for it. As they already produce a spec match electronically I guess a new coil body to match that of the OEM Capo part is not really that much more work. I will let you know once I get photos.

Ugly58
    WELL DONE THAT MAN!
    Am I to take it that they will be as reliable as the jci jobbies as the company is now owned by valeo?
    If so your owed more than a few beers
    Brum Brum

U58
    You're welcome to a pint on me in our local any time! But only if you take off your MBA-hat....
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Thumbs up

This just keeps getting better

Steady now boys,

Despite my MBA Hat

I have no idea how much these are going to cost, or how reliable they will be. But seeing as in my case they are competing with 4 x Sagem, its not a hard competition. I am not aware if this is coming direct from Valeo or a third party, I would have thought a third party considering how quickly they reacted.

More as soon as I hear anything

This is where I bought Aprilia Caponord JCI coils:

ANDRIOPOULOS VASSILIS.
    AMERIKIS 63 - 26441 PATRA (PELOPONNISOS)
    Tel. +30-26104 53904 Fax +30-26104 21230
    E-Mail: info@andriopoulos.gr

http://www.apriliadealers.com/risultati_ricerca.asp

Soto
    Ermax windshield with Laminars lip
    Givi Maxia Monokey top box
    Aprilia handgaurds
    Handle bar risers
    Center stand
    Hyperpro springs - front and rear

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY58 View Post
    STOP PRESS !

Ugly58
    Yes, the Futura uses the same coils. I tried going this same route with Beru several years ago. They were initially optimistic but gave it up when they discovered the size of the potential market. Good luck with it, and thanks for the effort.

Stu

Just for giggles I emailed the dealer... Start from the bottom

oops. sorry. $152 each

----- Original Message -----
    To: 'Mike@sstam.com'
    Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 11:04 AM
    Subject: RE: aprilia coils

Mike

Do you have a cost?

Troy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 11:02 AM
    To: Troy Thomas
    Subject: Re: aprilia coils

AP8124864 not sure on the quality of the coil until we look at it. Typically Ducati coils and relays are used (at least they are used now), but I don't know if it were those that were breaking

----- Original Message -----

To: 'Mike@sstam.com'

Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 10:41 AM

Subject: aprilia coils

Mike,

I think when I was there last you told me that the electrical parts that are now built for the Aprilias are better than OE (new supplier).

We have been having a debate on how much the ignition coils cost and the quality.

Are the new and better?
    How much for coils for 2001-04 Futura?

Thanks

ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast