Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Coils

Alternative Coils

As I still have all four original Sagem coils on my bike its only a matter of time before I need swap them out. I have read here that the Renault/Citroen coils are similar spec, and indeed look at most Renault sites and you will see that their coils fail just as readily.

Having done some more research it seems the Renault 3.0 litre engine as fitted to a number of french cars uses them same spec coil as the Caponord. I have found a supplier in the UK who can get them at 24.99 considerably cheaper than the OEM.

As you can see below even the LT lead connection is the same and the HT side seems almost identical as I asked the supplier to remove the rubber boot from the end.

I am back in the UK next week and will grab 4 Coils and with FalcoJakes -1997 fiat brava HT leads (Halford HIL619) fitting should be painless.

I will post a report,

for US readers if this works I can get these sets delivered out to the US at local UK postage rates
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by UGLY58; 10-19-2009 at 12:44 PM.
    To boldly go where no brit has gone before, or is likely to afterwards !

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    Good investigating U58! This would be great if they were the same spec, I payed 120 euro for my last one so at 25 euro that would be great. I wonder would they fail as easily as the sagem ones?
    Is it just me or are the a bit on the short side, maybe tis just the mounting bracketry making it look short?
    Brum Brum

This sounds like an interesting find. Do these new coils have the same primary winding specification as the Aprilia ones and more to the point who is the supplier of these coils ? I also have four Sagem coils on my 04 Capo with nearly 27000 miles on the clock and keep thinking to myself when is one going to give up on me. Steve

Until I get the coils in my hands I can`t test them, however from what I have read on the the Clio V6 web sites they are the same spec and suffer the same failure rate.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2464

Sadly familiar:

http://v6clio.net/forum/knowledge/kb_show.php?id=53

However the supplier I am looking at is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

He has been very helpful with specs and photos hence IMO deserves the support. I am trying to get a quote for the Fiat Brava ignition leads from him to make a complete set.

Others have them part No. 925PE0000

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/index.asp

http://www.aepdirect.com/index.php?o...roduct_id=5816

Apparently the original Sagem part No. for the Clio v6 is 597094, sound familiar ?

FINALY I found this seems the beneli owners have hit this one on the head:

http://www.engenia.com.au/08_FuelIgn...aleoCoils.html

Seems Valeo have bought JCI so these coils could well be the JCI ones ???

wow good find.

the normal fix is the scenic coil, i have a set of these since i also have a scenic and i lost one coil at 92k miles so replaced tham all. these are not an ideal solution since they are designed to sit on the plug top without the ht lead. so to use these it would be better to do without the HT lead as someone on here did with some mitsubishi coils . also the low tension connections are not right so adaptors must be made up.

i thought the dynatec twin pack coils would be good soloution.

let us know what 3.0l renault the coils were from, espace? safrane? and how you get on

A1 info UGLY, looks like on one of the links that they seem to think that primary and secondary values for the coil look to be the same as the Aprilia coils so this is a good findSteve

I have a really silly question ive been dying to ask, excuse me if its been asked or if its very thick.
    Is it possible to approach a company who make coils (or who could) with our specs and say 'make us a coil like this crappy one from my capo/cliov6/futura but make it uncrappy and we will all buy them off ya as our ones are crappy and keep failing....'
    Would the economy of scale be too small on a run of these to make em affordable?
    Brum Brum

Quote Originally Posted by the_toe_cutter View Post
    Would the economy of scale be too small on a run of these to make em affordable?
    Why do you think the Aprilia coils are so expensive? Limited demand. Get some company to tool up for a run of 500 coils, and I'd think the retail cost per coil would give you heart failure.

Stu

Yeah - years ago, I was told by a Yamaha executive that they had investigated building a 500cc single engine just for Speedway racing.
    (To our US friends, that's 440 yard dirt oval, no brakes, widely raced in Europe but actually invented in Australia.)
    Yamaha felt they could substantially improve on existing design in terms of weight & performance; trouble is, when they did the sums, they realised that the global annual consumption of Speedway engines would occupy their engine production line for just 12 minutes a year - and the cost per unit would be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

All French v6 car engines seem to use this coil Renault, Citroen etc. I focused on the Clio V6 as it a highly tuned car with lots of enthusiastic following.

As Stu_O says its limited demand that makes the Aprilia coil so expensive. But add a few hundred thousand car owners into the equation and they get cheaper and people start producing pattern parts for the car, as is Valeo here.

If anyone wants to jump the gun on this a try them in the Uk before I get back there please do.

I am going to order 4 and a set of the leads soonest will be fitting the second week in November, fingers crossed.

wow what a find , great work

ive got a coil gone down so im reading this with great interest

Quote Originally Posted by the_toe_cutter View Post
    Good investigating U58! This would be great if they were the same spec, I payed 120 euro for my last one so at 25 euro that would be great. I wonder would they fail as easily as the sagem ones?
    Is it just me or are the a bit on the short side, maybe tis just the mounting bracketry making it look short?

A few months ago replaced my last remaining Sagem coil with the newer JCI coils .... the APRiliA dealer price was just under 50 Euro ........ who the hell is charging 120Euro????

Soto
    Ermax windshield with Laminars lip
    Givi Maxia Monokey top box
    Aprilia handgaurds
    Handle bar risers
    Center stand
    Hyperpro springs - front and rear

apriliaforum expert calgaryjeff's Avatar
    how come all you guys didn't make these finds a month ago before I took the plunge on 4 new coils????

2003 CapoNord
    1985 Honda VF1000R (gone to a new home)
    IBA #23204

Quote Originally Posted by quicktoys2 View Post
    A few months ago replaced my last remaining Sagem coil with the newer JCI coils .... the APRiliA dealer price was just under 50 Euro ........ who the hell is charging 120Euro????

Soto
    Where can I buy them for 50 Euro?
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    Where can I buy them for 50 Euro?
    Yeah if they were 50 quid id buy a couple. It was off Ducati Dublin who do aprilia too. I would have ordered online but needed her fixed in a hurry, stung the wallet alright, at least it was jci.
    Brum Brum

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast