Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Head gasket failed. Any ideas? Pics included

apriliaforum expert
    Extremely useful thread!!!! Thanks everyone!!!
    Any one already messing with copper rings to seal just the liner and let the gasket handle the rest?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi

we tightened them to 30 Nm and as I wanted to tighten them up to 50 Nm one thread failed. It happened only after a few degrees ...
    Never heard of that before but it happened.

To ensure a good and reliable compression of the O-Ring the groove has to be in the liner and the head must have direct contact to the liner. Otherwise you get no defined compression to the O-Ring. So the head moves 0.8mm down and you have the problem how to seal the oil and water because you have only max. 0.05mm between head crankshaft. There is no place for the original gasket or very thin sealing paper. I don't think, that ThreeBond will last in this application.

May I join this topic ?

Coolant was spilled very quickly from engine through reservoir tank under engine. My first guess was bad head gasket, but they pretty good to me. Can you please advice ?

I will try to make pictures with better quality...

2006 Aprilia SXV 450
    Tuneboy Cable available in Poland

apriliaforum expert Allen Noland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by levisik View Post
    May I join this topic ?

Coolant was spilled very quickly from engine through reservoir tank under engine. My first guess was bad head gasket, but they pretty good to me. Can you please advice ?
    You won't always see a bad spot on the gasket. Sometimes it's obviously burned through but the majority of the "blown" head gaskets that I've replaced looked fine. Most of the time a "blown" head gasket is the direct result of overheating (assuming that it was installed correctly). When a 'XV overheats, the liner expands upwards and over-compresses the head gasket. Once the engine cools off and the liner contracts it causes the gasket to leak in one direction or the other. Most of the time it doesn't leak while the engine is still hot but will leak after it's cooled off and re-started.
    Noland Trans-World Cycle
    7 East 1st Ave. Mountain Lake Park, MD 21550 * Phone (301) 616-2034 * e-mail allennoland@yahoo.com
    http://www.facebook.com/NolandTransWorldCycle

ohh. Thanks. Is it necessary to split cases ? When I started bike, coolant was shooting 1m from engine
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450

apriliaforum Junkie undergrounder's Avatar
    I think I found the problem.
    At 2 o'clock
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180513_200822-1814x1357.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	538.3 KB 
ID:	357791
    At 3 o'clock

Name:	IMG_20180513_201625-1357x1814.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	537.7 KB 
ID:	357792
    At 9 o'clock

Name:	IMG_20180513_204128-1357x1814.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	512.2 KB 
ID:	357793

When I rotated the engine to get the piston up I also pushed up the liner, so I guess I now got some coolant in my crankcase?
    My bike is my gym, my wheelchair and my church all in one. I'd like to ride my bike all day long but I've got this thing called a job that keeps getting in the way.

no question is, do you want to risk, or you put new cylinders o-rings as well
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450

apriliaforum Junkie undergrounder's Avatar
    I don't expect the o-rings to be bad.
    just because the liner went up a little, possibly letting some coolant that whas stil around the cylinder passing into the engine.
    wel I guess that just flushes out with some oil when the engine is back in the bike
    My bike is my gym, my wheelchair and my church all in one. I'd like to ride my bike all day long but I've got this thing called a job that keeps getting in the way.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Can I chime in as well? I have an 09 that I suspect has a blown head gasket as well. The reservoir for the coolant had really bad water in it and I was really scratching my head what that was. The bike had been sitting in some hot weather for about 2 years, so I just drained the reservoir which had about 1/3rd full of brown water......Oil and coolant?? And some silvery shimmer to it as well...see photo....

I also notice the right muffler had some water drips when cold the engine would spit out some drips from the back right pipe......totally stopped when warm. Radiator fluid is brown....not looking good.

So if this is a common issue......even though this 09 only has 1000 miles on it.....I need to pull off the front head and see what I got. Anyone want to help me diagnose and give me some ideas where to start?

Thanks.

EricName:  Radiator Overflow.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  66.5 KB This is the overflow water.

nevermind
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234