Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GP Motorcycles and Moto Forza fined $90,000 each

GP Motorcycles and Moto Forza fined $90,000 each

for selling non-CARB approved bikes for road use.

http://www.10news.com/news/20653809/detail.html

SAN DIEGO -- Two San Diego-area motorcycle dealers were fined a combined $180,000 from the California Air Resources Board for selling dozens of off-road motorcycles illegally converted into what they called street-legal models, the regulatory agency announced Monday.

GP Motorcycles of San Diego and Moto Forza of Escondido will each pay $90,000 in fines, according to CARB.

CARB investigators following up on a tip received in 2006 confirmed that GP Motorcycles and Moto Forza were selling Husqvarna off-road motorcycles illegally converted to street-legal models.

According to the CARB, many of the bikes were outfitted with so-called "street legal" kits, which are illegal in California.

"Companies that deliberately flout the law are often assessed higher penalties," said Mary Nichols, who heads the CARB board. "Playing by the rules from the start is the most cost-effective, smart business plan any company can follow."

The CARB revoked the registrations for the motorcycles. The owners were told to turn in their license plates and get off-road stickers and plates. California bans a number of motorcycles and scooters that are street-legal in other states.
    Alan
    2011 KTM RC8R
    2012 BMW S1000RR (engine #2)
    2013 KTM SMT 990

CARB and the EPA should be disbanded- they do more harm to business in this country than anything else, and that's saying a lot.

A little discussed fact is that Euro 3 standard new cars put out 5% the emissions of a 1970 EPA standard vehicle- 5%! How clean do they want them to be? I read that in greater Los Angeles area, the exhaust from a new car is actually cleaner than the air going in! Wrap your head around that for a minute...

I remember being in Los Angeles in the late 60's and early 70's as a kid. The smog was incredible. On that level things are so much cleaner now. We think we're saving the world, but the 'third world' nations are spitting out more pollution than we ever did. That's why most manufacturing has gone there- little or no restrictions.

Yeah, a small displacement motorcycle is danger to society...

Sorry, this is one subject that touches a nerve. I never post negatives... I'll go sit in the corner...

2008 RSV 1000 R, platinum/charcoal/red
    Akrapovic full system, NERA top triple clamp, Aprilia accessory rear sets, AF1 Ti bolt kit, etc. etc...

2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, black... and stock for now

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red
    Showa forks, Sachs shocks, Termignoni kit, lots more

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    ouch......

the 06 Huskys were sort of a grey area.....hope the CA dealers that sold 07 SXVs and RXV are not in the same boat.....they were quasi-illegal too

if we got fined $90,000 for something, we'd be out of business tomorrow with 9 jobs lost, and piles of lost tax revenues

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    ...if we got fined $90,000 for something, we'd be out of business tomorrow with 9 jobs lost, and piles of lost tax revenues
    Exactly my problem with this kind of radical environmentalizm. It costs people jobs, hurts businesses, and in the end costs state and local governments tax revenue because of it.

Sorry again... back to my corner...
    Akrapovic full system, NERA top triple clamp, Aprilia accessory rear sets, AF1 Ti bolt kit, etc. etc...

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red

There's a federal law stating that fines for that sort of thing cannot be so exorbitant that they put the company out of business.But you must pay a leech........excuse me,attorney to fight that for you.The government is as out of control as the economy.
    oh well nevermind

Angry

West Coast Choppers was fined for selling bikes without proper emissions equipment installed. When West Coast Choppers offered to recall all the bikes in question and make them emissions legal, CARB said that won't be necessary, just pay the fine. CARB is definitely concerned about being "green" - the same shade of green used on US currency.

NY Times CARB West Coast Choppers Article

Although there are things in this country that rather sickens me (bikes for kids, lead, etc.), the CA crap is a steaming pile. I wouldn't live in that place for anything. It's all about the money.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

apriliaforum expert
    As much as it stinks, selling something that is not legal is a crime. Do the crime, do the time. The dealer could have easily sold the bike and the customer could have done the conversion. The dealer still makes money, but doesn't have to get stuck with a $90K fine. Then the problem and fine go to the consumer.

How many motorcycles did they sell with this... 10,20, 30??? How much emissions would that be? Not enough to ever be detected in the environment.
    2014 Tuono

Previous:
    2013 CB500X
    06 GSXR 750
    2009 SMV750
    2006 Ducati 749
    07 SXV5.5
    05 DRZ400SM
    04 RSVR
    94 Honda ST100
    03 SV650 Track bike
    01 Mille
    00 GSXR750

Word is they might have to close the doors. Fine and the economic situation are definitely not a stimulus.
    At the same time giant Hummer's are driven daily and nobody cares in CA gov.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    ouch......

the 06 Huskys were sort of a grey area.....hope the CA dealers that sold 07 SXVs and RXV are not in the same boat.....they were quasi-illegal too

if we got fined $90,000 for something, we'd be out of business tomorrow with 9 jobs lost, and piles of lost tax revenues

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Epitoma rei militaris)

yeah, you wouldn't believe the shit I had to go thru to register my Georgia titled "US" RSVR in Kalifornia. The DMV wanted to see my original title, then conducted an extensive inspection of the bike, including the registration plate on the rt side of the frame, and another plate on the left side that showed VIN # and another # which matched the serial # on the back side of the engine just above the swingarm. Then they started looking for the CARB sticker on the rt swingarm - couldnt' find it. Luckily, I happened to have a scanned copy of the sticker, so I , wait, someone at the dorr.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........
    Jimbob
    Actually, Formerly Teachin DevilDogs to ride bikes
    01 RSVR, 10 HD XR1200 (for sale!) 11 BMW 1200RT, 04 1150 RT gone, 97 Honda VFREVER, KLX250S
    00 RSV-gone, 04 Futura-gone - 04 Futura-gone..

The EPA and CARB should definitely be dissolved...they are in the same state at this point as the NAACP, trade unions, and any other social welfare program/organization: they were of benefit when they were first organized, but now their main goal is furthering their influence - they no longer exist to benefit the public.

My buddy bought a plated Husky from a dealership here in So Cal. One day he got a knock at the door and it was an EPA employee with tools coming to physically take the plate from his new bike - a year later.

RZ Rob
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

Bikes

2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory - Silver (the fastest color)
    2007 Aprilia SXV 550 - Plated
    1999 Aprilia RS250 - Plated
    2003 Honda CRF150 - Plated (girlfriend's toy)
    2006 Honda CRF450 - Fun Toy
    1970 Honda Z50 - Plated (pretty clean)
    GoPed Sport - Conquered IOM TT in 2000

apriliaforum expert Silver-Bolt's Avatar
    West Coast Choppers ended up paying $250k in fines. All CARB wanted was the fine. They did not require any of the bikes to be brought up to spec and no plates pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
    My buddy bought a plated Husky from a dealership here in So Cal. One day he got a knock at the door and it was an EPA employee with tools coming to physically take the plate from his new bike - a year later.

RZ Rob
    Wow... I'd say this is unbelievable, but... huh, a year later yet.

The above point about a Hummer is a valid one. How much energy does it take to move a 6000 pound vehicle around town and down the freeway at 70 mph? Versus a 400 pound motorcycle? The bike can have much 'dirtier' emissions and still have a fraction of the total impact environmentally.

Being 'green' is nothing more than a catch phrase, a 'bill of goods' that too many people buy into.

I saw so many people interviewed on TV that felt good about trading in their 'clunker' for a new and 'cleaner' vehicle. Yet I've been to several car lots locally, and too many of these 'clunkers' are actually very nice, low mileage cars and trucks that would be a nice upgrade, both in fact and in regards to cleaner emissions, than their current car. My wife was shocked when I explained to her that these 'clunkers' were to be killed- they are required to have a liquid poured into the crankcase that siezes the engine- so those that can't afford a brand new car are left driving their old and presumably 'dirty' vehicles. Way to save the earth guys. What a load.

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red

I always wonder about those 2006 and older husky sumos and 2007 R/SXV I see on craigslist.
    Alan
    2011 KTM RC8R
    2012 BMW S1000RR (engine #2)
    2013 KTM SMT 990

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast