Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed wobble

Speed wobble

There is plenty of info on here for SXV tires that aid in the speed wobble problem but what about for the RXV? I was following my buddy home from the track today and he pulled over to ask me what was going on with my front tire as is does really get jittery above 100KM/H I'm sure if I don't get this resolved it could end in an accident. I do have the stock Comp III on still, will a new set of something else make a difference or is it just the nature of the knobby???

apriliaforum expert
    throw away the factory tyres, move the fork up in the clamps and more sag in the rear. That fixed my rxv. I had it flat out with no wobbles at 150+ kph

apriliaforum Member
    Make sure your steering stem nut is tight. They seem too loose from the factory.
    Current Stable

2011 Honda CRF450
    2008 Yamaha C3
    1999 Yamaha Zuma
    2008 KX 250F
    2005 KLX 110 mod pit bike 165cc
    2005 Jamis Dakar x2

2008 Aprilia SXV 550 SOLD
    2004 Toyota Tacoma quad cab SOLD
    2006 34c Fun Mover Duramax C5500 SOLD
    2007 YZ 450F SOLD

Increasing the sag in the rear won't lead to clearance problems? As this bike is already quite soft on a landing.

I get the same problem and I know it is the tires out of balance. I have a teraflex rear and bridgestone mx front and it is real wobbly over 50mph. It grips the dirt well though where you don't notice it. I tried dynabeads without success. Plan to take them off, replace the tubes and have them balanced for me. Also plan to change to a 50/50 tire in the off season.

apriliaforum expert
    I would put a good set of tyres on it first.

Those factory tyres are dead set dangerous and should be replace before leaving the dealership.

I agree Fred. I think the tires are key. What are you running?

XV asylum has a few recommendations, if they are available here I'll prolly consider one of those choices. Great to have others input, saves on the error side of trial and error.

as someone else suggested....check the lock ring under the top triple clamp, mine wasnt even finger tight.
    2004 Tuono

Yup, it's snug and follows the forks without any play so I assume it's assembled properly. The wobble is just so bad that if I don't control the bars it would go wild, the stocker on the back is nearly slick after 2000km so buying a new set is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterdobe View Post
    There is plenty of info on here for SXV tires that aid in the speed wobble problem but what about for the RXV? I was following my buddy home from the track today and he pulled over to ask me what was going on with my front tire as is does really get jittery above 100KM/H I'm sure if I don't get this resolved it could end in an accident. I do have the stock Comp III on still, will a new set of something else make a difference or is it just the nature of the knobby???
    Stock tire are garbage, I threw mine away at 32 miles, total. I now use Dunlop 606's front and rear because they are DOT street legal, 80mph and no wobbles at all. You can balance them, I have not. No issues with high speed stuff though....
    Current Stable
    2008 Aprilia RXV550 Dual Sport
    2013 Beta 450RS
    2002 Ducati ST4s
    1981 Honda CT110 (for beer runs)
    1985 Honda NS400R 3 cylinder-2 stroke GP Replica
    2007 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
    2006 Volvo V70R (Daily Driver)
    1 crazy yellow Lab

At speed on my SXV I had trouble with the wobbles . I found that hanging onto the bike tighter with my legs rather than hands helped heaps too.
    I've also raised the rear, 16.5in front, 11mm offset clamps, trimmed rear of front fender and removed handguard plastics.
    '09 MXV450

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Racing View Post
    The motor and maps are race orientated, and want gunning !!

on the rxv it helps to stay up on the tank. use the very most front of the seat on the road and at speeds above 70. Even on the stock tires this made a big difference.

The fender has enough drag to lift the tire huh, If I trim it down then I guess rad gaurds are needed for the tight stuff where rocks come up...If only I hadn't bent them something might still fit

The dunlop 606's look perfect, I like the highway useability factor. Guess I'll order them today so I can give my opinion next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast