Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can you replace the airbox with a filter?

apriliaforum newb

can you replace the airbox with a filter?

anybody try these on their mana to replace the airbox?

K&N Tapered Cone Air Filters

Why??

apriliaforum newb
    freer flowing intake?

Better sound too. Someone in the 500cc scooter forum had AF1 remove the airbox. It looks great. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...&highlight=mod

Check out the dyno video from Micah in the thread.
    2013 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800
    2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans
    1999 Honda XR70r

--

Quote Originally Posted by fwagman View Post
    Use your bum hole as a guide ....... if it's tightening, you are getting out of your comfort zone so back off.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    I fart in the face of his 'Double Overhead Cam'!

apriliaforum newb
    abouc, thanks for the heads up on that thread. that was the basic idea. that, plus an aftermarket can. i wonder if it would affect the throttle mapping though, and what hp gains could be had with this mod. water intrusion would be a worry though. didn't consider that.

Look, with respect a K&N is not a particularly brilliant filter, the paper element is much, much better. The Mana is NOT a high performance engine and it only has one, quite small, throttle body and a shared inlet manifold both of which will be 'Hampering' it's performance far more than what type of filter is used. It also has primary drive by a rubber belt which is always going to be a limiting factor unless you make the engine unacceptably wide.

It's not an easy model to get appreciably *more* out of. so why bother? if you want a lot more why not buy something that already has it? Like a Tuono f'rinstance!?

Pete

Look, with respect a K&N is not a particularly brilliant filter, the paper element is much, much better. The Mana is NOT a high performance engine and it only has one, quite small, throttle body and a shared inlet manifold both of which will be 'Hampering' it's performance far more than what type of filter is used. It also has primary drive by a rubber belt which is always going to be a limiting factor unless you make the engine unacceptably wide.

It's not an easy model to get appreciably *more* out of. so why bother? if you want a lot more why not buy something that already has it? Like a Tuono f'rinstance!?

Pete
    pete check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ueY...eature=related

apriliaforum expert
    And the first thing you'll do to your tuono is install cans & a filter. Most people buy a Mana for very specific reasons, hp. not being one of them. But who doesn't want a few more ponys & better looks. AF1 reported on the dyno the Mana responded well to air intake changes. I always like my bikes to run at full potential whether it's 125 or 1200cc.

I'll still pose the same question that I did on the Scarabeo link above - what happens when it rains? Would it potentially damage the engine to have an exposed air filter so close to the wheel while riding in the rain? I'm not mechanically knowledgeable enough to know for sure. Can any others elaborate?
    2013 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800
    2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans
    1999 Honda XR70r

--

Quote Originally Posted by fwagman View Post
    Use your bum hole as a guide ....... if it's tightening, you are getting out of your comfort zone so back off.
    I fart in the face of his 'Double Overhead Cam'!

Nah. Even if it was absolutely pissing down I can't see it ever being an issue. To do any damage you'd have to ingest enough water to hydraulically lock the motor. That would kill it stone dead!

Water inside the combustion chamber and exhaust though is not a problem in small amounts, after all, one of the major by-products of burning petrol is water. (That's why on cold mornings your exhaust steams.).

For many years you could buy kits that allowed water injection on older motors, mainly for cars, the idea being that the atomised water would a.) make the charge denser and b.) would help cool the combustion chamber as it cheaned state during the compression process. The latent heat of water being higher than that of petrol.

Pete

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Just taking the air filter cover off the Mana is worth 5 bhp on my dyno....I cannot imagine a power loss doing a pod intake filter. My personal preference would just be a low restriction stock replacement filter. The big K&N pod filters sound cool but filtration of any of the wire and gauze filters lags well behind paper element filters.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Micah, During your dyno runs without the filter cover, was the air filter still in place?
    For performance reasons or at the drag strip, could one just remove the cover and not the filter and still get the gain?

apriliaforum expert
    I modified my airbox by removing the round metal emblem on the cover & cut the plastic under it leaving a strip through the middle so I can re-attach the emblem with a screw. If you ride in the rain you just leave the emblem on, If you want to ride hard just take the emblem off & air goes directly in the filter. The intake air is still filtered. I will try to get some pictures as soon as I can. This made a difference you can feel in the seat of your pants.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by shadyman View Post
    I modified my airbox by removing the round metal emblem on the cover & cut the plastic under it leaving a strip through the middle so I can re-attach the emblem with a screw. If you ride in the rain you just leave the emblem on, If you want to ride hard just take the emblem off & air goes directly in the filter. The intake air is still filtered. I will try to get some pictures as soon as I can. This made a difference you can feel in the seat of your pants.
    Any chance of seeing some pictures? That sounds like an excellent solution and I would really like to see exactly how you did it. Thanks.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I leave the filter in place, even at the drag strip I see no reason to let unfiltered air into the engine.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast