Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding a Mille to the stable

apriliaforum expert Arkansawyer's Avatar
    At the foothills of the Boston Mountains.

Adding a Mille to the stable

I've been wanting a track bike ever since a track day at Hallet on the Futura. So I've been looking for an early Mille and found a nice specimen in Houston.

Had my buddy Mikeyyc from the Futura forum check it out yesterday and hopefully I'll have it in my possesion next week sometime. Its missing a few dzus fasteners etc but it appears to be all there and no previous damage. Pics next week.

Its a '99 VIN ...003.
    When in doubt.........power out!!!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

Mazeltov!

And post pics of the stable when she arrives.

Ok...so maybe pics later this evening. Made a late night run to Houston and picked the bike up at about 10pm and got home at 2am.

Definitley needs some TLC...cleaning and refreshing. Its all there and doesn't appear to have been abused. Nothing about the bike makes me think that it has ever been down. The fuel smells something akin to varnish.

And so the love affair begins.

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

hey, haven't you been on this rodeo before? Let me know, I have a few parts lying around.
    James, now in SD
    Jimbob
    Actually, Formerly Teachin DevilDogs to ride bikes
    01 RSVR, 10 HD XR1200 (for sale!) 11 BMW 1200RT, 04 1150 RT gone, 97 Honda VFREVER, KLX250S
    00 RSV-gone, 04 Futura-gone - 04 Futura-gone..

Say hello to Mille #3

So the guy kept telling me....."it needs a starter" over and over. In my mind I'm thinking "yeah....whatever...it probably needs the sprag clutch done". The first time I actually saw it was when I picked it up. Dark and rushing to get it back because I had to go to work the next morning, little did I realize...

it really DOES need a starter...lol

JapseyeOgri said:

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansawyer View Post

it really DOES need a starter...lol
    One word.........

"Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

Don't worry...its a long way from just needing a starter before it runs. Notice the plates expired FEB of '03? Thats probably not far from when it was last ran.

JapseyeOgri said:

OMG that chain looks fucked!!!! That cant feel nice!
    Dyno Run

Blue line = standard eprom and baffles in
    Red line = Gabro eprom and baffles in
    Green line = Gabro eprom and baffles out

HUNGRY for knowledge!

Sunstar Disc's|EBC HH Pads|4pad brembo callipers|Radial master cylinders|Evoluzione clutch slave|Hel Braided hoses|K-Tech 9NM fork springs|Penske racing shocker|RSV 01-03 Suspension linkage|RSV Swing arm|Lowered front & Raised rear|Carbon bits|Bef exhaust system|Large intake system|PC3 + Advanced custom map|Gabro Eprom

run two cans of Chevron fuel injector cleaner through it, that will help immensely, well, after you get the starter issue taken care of...lol!
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****
    2000 RSV Mille,***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
    OMG that chain looks fucked!!!! That cant feel nice!
    Honestly it doesn't look all that bad. It is adjusted properly, but does have a bit of rust. Don't worry....its going to get new sprockets and chain.

JapseyeOgri said:

What'd you pay for that thing?
    "Tuono doesn't want to gently take your hand and guide you on a trip, it wants to rip it off and run away with it! I always get the feeling that to ride a Tuono you have to be a real man, prepared to fight it every step of the way, where as on the Triumph you can have an off day and not be left feeling inadequate"
    "Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"

JOIN ME ONAND FOR SOCAL APRILIA GROUP RIDES & UPDATES FOLLOW ME ON

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobvfr View Post
    hey, haven't you been on this rodeo before? Let me know, I have a few parts lying around.
    James, now in SD
    PM sent

JapseyeOgri said:

Quote Originally Posted by velowood View Post
    I have a starter for you, PM me
    PM sent.

JapseyeOgri said:

Well my refurbish of this bike is coming along nicely.

FalcoLion provided the starter from his Tuono along with a shiny new carbon front fender. Both have been installed and a new Yamaha starter relay that I bought from the neighbor who works at a boat shop that sells Yamaha products. I ran jumper cables from my pickup to the leads on the Mille but not before removing a couple sparkplugs. You have to remember it hasn't been tagged since '03. She cranked over nicely which tells me the sprag is still in good shape. I'll pick up a battery for her this week.

Installed a new MPL clutch slave that I found on ebay for a $100 bucks. The clutch was a wet noodle when I picked it up and immediately figured that the slave cylinder was the culprit. New DOT 4 all the way round.....front brakes and rear. Drained a sample of engine oil last week and it looks surprising good considering the time thats probably passed since the last time its been fired up. I'll replace the coolant and oil after getting it running.

All the bodywork is there just missing a few bolts here and there. Bought a grab bag of bolts off ebay to replace the ones missing plus have some extras. Thanks to sirgregory I'll soon have all the dzus screws. Bought two stock original turn signals from lieb1890 to replace the broken right signal. The two rear signals were ditched by the previous owner in favor of a couple of cheapo tucked in rear signals. One more signal will be needed to complete the rear.....Velowood has a couple so thats all but fixed.

Being bought with no key meant that the gas cap, seat release and igntion had to be replaced. FalcoLion provided those as well.

Whats left you ask? The tank had to be left open as mentioned above the keys were no where to be found. This allowed moisture to get into the tank and cause a little bit of rust. But worse than that was the left over fuel in the tank. Add the vent lines broken off, floating around and it made for a messy stew. I pulled the fuel pump off, removed the vent line remnants and proceeded to clean up the pump. Carb cleaner was having very little effect on 3 year old gunk that had coated the pump. Not wanting to risk whatever might be in the pump I've bought a used replacement on ebay for $45. My Por 15 should be here this week and I'll give the tank a good cleaning, seal it, replace the vent lines, add a new filter to the pump when it gets here and reassemble.

New tires, chain, sprockets and I'm good to go.

Damn this is fun and great therapy.

JapseyeOgri said:

apriliaforum expert Bill in OKC's Avatar
    The can looks real close to the swingarm. Is it just the pic? Could the strap be moved to the outside of the hanger? A great find!
    '02 RSVR '07 S4Rs '13 FXSB '75 GT550 '74 H1 500 '71 CB750 '72 Combat Commando Roadster - restoration in progress-will be yellow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast