Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohlins Shock Install / Linkage Mod

Damned if I know. I told Rick my weight and he already knows my riding style, so I guess I'll see the specs when it comes in. Should be a couple weeks for that I guess.

That Ohlins you have come with ride height adjust too? Rick told me that was standard on the Penske, which was VERY desireable to me since that will give me the opportunity to raise it up a little and try to avoid dragging hard parts still. Last time I went out and really rode the crap out of it, I was dragging the kick stand again. I hate that...
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Don't expect too much from the ride height adjust as the dogbone design really limits what you can do. From memory I think 2-3mm was max before hard parts made contact.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Yeah, it's pretty tight there. Look at the photo below (mentioned in post #8)
    Deefred actually shaved some material from the bottom of the shock to get a little more out of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Damned if I know. I told Rick my weight and he already knows my riding style, so I guess I'll see the specs when it comes in. Should be a couple weeks for that I guess.

That Ohlins you have come with ride height adjust too? Rick told me that was standard on the Penske, which was VERY desireable to me since that will give me the opportunity to raise it up a little and try to avoid dragging hard parts still. Last time I went out and really rode the crap out of it, I was dragging the kick stand again. I hate that...
    Just having a good shock is going to minimise that. Your old one must be really shot by now. The Hyperco springs have the rating on the ends so you might not know the rate unless you ask them.
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty tight there. Look at the photo below (mentioned in post #8)
    Deefred actually shaved some material from the bottom of the shock to get a little more out of it.
    Noted... Thanks!
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

The setup I run now rises the rear about 20 mm compared to stock.
    This measured at the passenger grab rails.

With the stronger spring the actual ride height effect while driving is even more.

I use a feeler gage to make sure I have some clearance left between shock and strut.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified ÷hlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". ÷hlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum Member Baronsamedi's Avatar

Yep, worked like a charm.

Fixer, my hats off to you.

Thanks for the detailed post. I just installed a new Ohlins 841 shock w/ remote preload adjuster and the bike handles significantly better than with the stock Sachs. The spacer required for the linkage was a bit smaller than calculated in this thread, but was easy to find and install. A heat gun was used to reform the battery tray over the shock reservoir and it worked like a charm.

Serious bling factor on the rear end of the bike. Yeah, baby..

-Don
    2004 RST 1000 - more mods than you can shake a cat at..
    2004 RSVR Factory - sama sama
    2007 SportCity - what do they say about scooters and fat girls..?

Where do I find a owners manual for a 8240? Bought one on ebay, just ordered a 110 Nm spring from Ohlins. And I am selling my penske shock. Can be sold with a 95Nm ohlins spring. I have used the stock spring on it.
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Baronsamedi View Post
    Fixer, my hats off to you.

Thanks for the detailed post. I just installed a new Ohlins 841 shock w/ remote preload adjuster and the bike handles significantly better than with the stock Sachs. The spacer required for the linkage was a bit smaller than calculated in this thread, but was easy to find and install. A heat gun was used to reform the battery tray over the shock reservoir and it worked like a charm.

Serious bling factor on the rear end of the bike. Yeah, baby..

-Don
    Glad it worked out for you! Any photos?
    BTW, That's another one in the heat gun column and proof that I probably didn't need to cut my battery tray. Maybe I need a new heat gun.
    - Sam Shepard
    -Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by Hansb View Post
    Where do I find a owners manual for a 8240? Bought one on ebay, just ordered a 110 Nm spring from Ohlins. And I am selling my penske shock. Can be sold with a 95Nm ohlins spring. I have used the stock spring on it.
    What info are you looking for? Ohlins isn't known for their helpful literature.
    - Sam Shepard
    -Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
    What info are you looking for? Ohlins isn't known for their helpful literature.
    Just how to adjust compression/rebound and so on. How many clicks for sport, how many for tourist riding..
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hansb View Post
    Just how to adjust compression/rebound and so on. How many clicks for sport, how many for tourist riding..
    I used this on the road and have the same shock and spring as you have.
    Compression is at 19 clicks from full damping and rebound is 34 clicks from full damping.

For track I added 10-15 clicks on rebound but I think it was too much as the tire started shredding.

Its a starting point at least but we all have different tastes.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified ÷hlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". ÷hlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

ōhlins

Finally Ohlins installed. Replaced the stock 95Nm spring direct with a 110 Nm. It feels right to my bodyweight(170lb). Sag adjusted to 15-20 mm, compression damping 5 clicks from off, rebound 15 clicks from off. IMO, so much better than stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Hans

Looking good!
    - Sam Shepard
    -Neil Peart

apriliaforum Member RedShoeRider's Avatar
    Some GREAT information acquired by SD Rider that I thought should be part of this thread as well:

"Something of interest. Per my inquiry, Ed at AF1 recently measured the spring rate off an old Futura shock. They have a new spring measurement device in their shop (not sure what the technical name is), which consists of a hydraulic jack and a gauge that measures pressure. He ended up with 95 N/mm. That's right. 95 N/mm is the stock spring rate. Mystery solved!

By the way, I called Traxxion and they recommended 118 N/mm for my weight for a reasonably plush ride. I weigh 203 pounds. That's 14.5 stone for the fellas in the UK and 92 Kg for everyone else."
    Democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the issue.

'01 Futura in Blue: the other fastest color.
    Derestricted. Hardwired Honda CBR Regulator. Hepco-Becker rack. Throttlemeister. Scottoiler. Powerlet. RSV-R Showa Forks / Brembo 320mm "snowflake" rotors. EBC HH pads. Denso Iridium plugs. Wrapped exhaust pipes. And......the Wolo fuck-off air horn.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast