Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohlins Shock Install / Linkage Mod

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
    Thanks Guys. I'll get a photo of the preload adjuster and post it later. Not as convenient as a remote hydraulic adjuster,but it really is quick and easy. Adjustment from the left leaves the hot pipes on the right so it's still possible to do with the engine hot without getting burned. Rebound damping on the bottom of the shock is actually more difficult to get to but still easy enough.
    Excellent work, pictures and write-up. BTW, I highly recommend wrapping the exhaust pipes that run near the shock with 1 inch header wrap. I ordered 15 feet and it was just enough. This helps prevent heat transfer to the shock, reduces fade, and will make it last longer.

See my thread http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=172060

Glad to see you finally have a decent rear shock but that blue spring will cost you serious Ohlins bling points. By the way its Wilbers not Wilburs. Its a shock company not the owner of a talking horse.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr View Post
    Glad to see you finally have a decent rear shock but that blue spring will cost you serious Ohlins bling points. By the way its Wilbers not Wilburs. Its a shock company not the owner of a talking horse.
    Duly noted. I'll make the proper spelling corrections, but I wont paint my spring. My apologies to the horse and the Germans.
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

apriliaforum Junkie
    Well Done! The dogbone spacers are neat. What sizes did you use?
    JBC

Quote Originally Posted by JBC View Post
    Well Done! The dogbone spacers are neat. What sizes did you use?
    Don't remember the exact thickness. Pretty sure the spacers were around 0.075" thick. PM Kzmille and he'll set you up based on your measurements. He doesn't charge much. The center hole of the shim fits perfectly over the middle spacer so they fit and feel like a factory part. A worthwhle mod.
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
    Don't remember the exact thickness. Pretty sure the spacers were around 0.075" thick. PM Kzmille and he'll set you up based on your measurements. He doesn't charge much. The center hole of the shim fits perfectly over the middle spacer so they fit and feel like a factory part. A worthwhle mod.
    Help me to understand why these shims are necessary. The light bulb isn't coming on.

Basically just to take the slop and lateral play out and stop the rubbing of the side plates. Read more here...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=177271
    - Sam Shepard
    -Neil Peart

Great work, Mike & excellent write-up!
    -joe

"It's all in the reflexes."
    -Jack Burton

I just pulled the trigger on a Penske shock for mine, so I'll see how that does. My guy actually recommended the Penske over the Ohlins, which was what I called him about to begin with.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on a Penske shock for mine, so I'll see how that does. My guy actually recommended the Penske over the Ohlins, which was what I called him about to begin with.
    Hi Ron,

Let us know how it installs and rides! Don't forget photos, if there is anything interesting to see.

It's got to ride better than this 35K worn out stocker......

Forks will be next, but I will just revalve the stock forks rather than go with some other forks.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Did you have to send them your old one first? Teachers did and it ended up messing up 2 OEM shocks. I don't know if it was the shop he was using or Penske's fault. I don't know if he ever got it straightened out. I'd like to hear the whole story. Maybe he'll chime in here...
    Otherwise I've had people tell me that Penske is the best shock as well. It's a lot easier to get answers about tuning and support from Penske than from Ohlins...that's for sure. Nice that it's more "local" as well.

35k on the stocker? No wonder you're always scraping hardparts in those photos!
    - Sam Shepard
    -Neil Peart

Naw. The shock is still on the bike and Penske has specs for a shock for it. The biggest variable is the spring.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Mike: I have to set up some Q&A for an online class, grade 5 accounting finals, and create another final exam. When I get done with that, I'll be back.
    Ron is correct: Penske does list the RST in their current catalog. That was not the case in Dec. '07 (according to the dealership near Reading, PA where Penske has a shop and employed Bill Himmelsbach Jr.).

I did see the Penske catalog recently and the Futura was listed. Ron will probably not have the issues I faced.
    IBA #28362

2004 Futura - Silver
    Tigcraft Slip Ons - Jet-Hot coated exhaust & AF1 H-Pipe - PC III - Destricted w/ Mille Boot & Evoluzione Air Filter - Colder Fuel QD - Borella Regulator - Heli Bars - Geelong CF tank protector - Throttlemeisters - Headlight Mod & HID x3 - RaceTech fork parts - Zumo 550 - ne-oublie's Pivot Covers - R&G Sliders - PC-8 fuse box - SmartTire TPMS - some goodies for the FAMSA tank bag - provisions for Gerbings - a voltmeter waiting to be installed - new Pirelli Stradas waiting to be installed

Me and my RST:

Naw. The shock is still on the bike and Penske has specs for a shock for it. The biggest variable is the spring.
    What spring are you getting? Like I said, Traxxion recommended that I go with 115.
    - Sam Shepard
    -Neil Peart

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast