Thread: URGENT SERVICE dashboard error - updated and a new thread

apriliaforum Member

URGENT SERVICE dashboard error - updated and a new thread

Hi there.
    This is my posting in another thread, but I didn't get any reply's so I am worried that my post 'drowned' in all the other posts. As I still have the problem - and an update, I'm making a brand new thread and hope that somebody experienced a problem like mine - and had it solved

The original posting:

"Late last year - in the start-winter (november) I was working in my garden, and i thought I would warm up my bike as I was about to go for a 50 mile drive within an hour. So I started up the bike. It stood there for about 15 minutes, and then I heard it go down in RPM's ... and then it stopped! When I went into my workshop, I saw the taillight was lightning up because the brake light was on (!) and the warning sign in the dashboard was flashing AND the dreaded URGENT SERVICE was flashing as well! I tried to start it up - but to no avail, it was dead. The day before I was on a 100 mile ride, and no problems there. A day later I could start it up even though SERVICE was stil visible (without the URGENT) - but it was only running for a minut or two, then it stopped and URGENT SERVICE was on again.

Well I checked the error codes (Menu -> Diagnostic -> dial 12398) and on all 12 entries there was a plain zero (0)! But I reset all error codes and the coupon code now I was there. But again, to no avail.

So I followed the great hints here on apriliaforum.com, and took out these three sensors, the two air pressure sensors and the oil pressure sensor and will have them replaced. I have a pretty well equipped workshop and I was happe to have a really small ratchet wrench, because one of the screws that have to be removed to get the frame removed from the airfilter box, is insanely out-of-reach! Even with my small ratchet wrench, it took ages to get that %#@$ screw out! I have marked som of the pictures with a yellow arrow to point out that screw!

AND now for my question: Is there any other sensors I should replace now I have dismantled the bike?

Air Pressure Sensor one - the one that is pretty difficult to get to!

Air Pressure Sensor two

Just around here is THE screw! The one that is pretty difficult to get to!

THE screw! The one that is pretty difficult to get to!

Oil Pressure Sensor and Air Pressure Sensors

"

AND here is the update:

I changed the air pressure sensors and the oil pressure sensors - and cleaned the fuel tubes, the fuel pump, the air filter (which is almost brand new) etc.
    When I started the engine up in march, a lot of REALLY black/bad smelling smoke came out of the exchausts (I'm used to black smoke when the engine hasn't been running for months, but this time it was a whole other kind of smoke) and the engine was running very uneven - and there came those small sounds (clicks) as if there was a spark jumping somewhere ... or as if the valves was out of sync (but they are not)! The black smoke disappeared, but the URGENT SERVICE was there again in the dashboard There are still not a single error code in the display ...!

Here is a video which shows my bike - and with the sound on too: http://guldberg-lassen.dk/motor/urge...shiver2017.mp4

Anybody have an idea where to start 'debugging'?

Thank you so much in advance - and have a nice summer (except the Aussies and Kiwi's - you'll have a nice winter *LOL*).

Kind regards

Frank
    Last edited by Roadhouse; 05-30-2017 at 12:18 PM.

You need to have a read of this thread mate
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...0&share_type=t

How to read fault codes from the ECU on the Dorsoduro 750

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Lee

Once you get Guzzidiag connected you can read the ECU, it stores many more faults than the dashboard

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Lee

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks a lot. I will see if I can find the cables on a European eBay site, and when I have tried it out, update this thread Thank you again ☺️

UPDATE: Doesn't it look like this is what I need: http://www.ebay.de/itm/KKL-VAG-COM-4...oAAOSwq7JUCDzO
    Last edited by Roadhouse; 05-30-2017 at 02:01 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    I'm back!

Hi guys.

I never got back to my bike - a lot of sad things have been happening in my family due to the fooking cancer :-( So I have not had the energy to do anything about my bike.

But today I finally connected my laptop to the Italian wonder ... and a lot of error codes emerged.

I want to sell the bike, not because of the errors, but my health is too bad to ride it anymore. So I want it to be repaired and then sell it. But before sending it to a repair shop, I better get an idea what could be wrong with it - I don't have that much trust in the mechanics here (sorry, but I have REALLY had some bad experiences with them since I bought this bike).

I have checked the errors one by one here in this fantastic forum, but it's not transparent to me what could be the main error that made the engine stop runing so sudden! To recapitulate:

"Late last year - in the start-winter (november) I was working in my garden, and i thought I would warm up my bike as I was about to go for a 50 mile drive within an hour. So I started up the bike. It stood there for about 15 minutes, and then I heard it go down in RPM's ... and then it stopped! When I went into my workshop, I saw the taillight was lightning up because the brake light was on (!) and the warning sign in the dashboard was flashing AND the dreaded URGENT SERVICE was flashing as well! I tried to start it up - but to no avail, it was dead. The day before I was on a 100 mile ride, and no problems there. A day later I could start it up even though SERVICE was stil visible (without the URGENT) - but it was only running for a minut or two, then it stopped and URGENT SERVICE was on again."

I would be extremely thankful for any help that might lead me in the right direction :-)

Kind regards

Frank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018.08.19 - Shiver.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	365337

Hey Roadhouse
    Sorry to hear about the cancer
    About your bike, it should not be difficult to find what the error codes mean. Replacing the MPA sensors is a good place to start with early Shivers.
    I am inclined to look elsewhere at the moment. You said that the bike was idling for 15 minutes and it appears that you were not close to it when this was happening. Is it possible that some happened during that period. For example, that the bike overheated (e.g. the fan didn't switch on or the water pump wasn't working perfectly) or oil pressure got too low? Have you checked the spark plug for signs of overheating or oiling? Do you have good compression ((e.g. turn the motor over by hand with rear wheel)?
    I know the prospects of this scenario are somewhat grim, but I would explore the overall health of the motor. I hope nothing serious happened during the long idling period....
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum Junkie
    Well you've replaced the MAP sensors, but you also have a stored air temperature sensor error and a couple of errors not on our list.

From your video, it sounds like you are getting afterfire in the exhaust, and it also sounds like a high idle (it should be 1500 right down to about 0 degrees C). If you've not had the bike apart, either this is a fuel issue (too much or too little) or an ignition problem.

The air temperature sensor is important in fueling the bike correctly, so it could be a good place to look (it is also in the airbox...) Another easy check, fueling wise, is to unplug the lambda sensor, which will unfortunately throw yet another error code. If you've got the tank off, you can visually inspect the plugs (they may need replacing if the bike has not been running right for a while, causing them to foul up or worse).

Try resetting the codes and then seeing what comes up again, some of them might only be historic by now.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum Member
    Cancer is so indiscriminate, the two nicest persons in my life dies within 13 months :-( But life has to go on, and it will.

Thank you guys - I will check out your hints the coming weekend, thanks a lot :-)

Roadhouse, I recently had error codes 215 and 216, as yours is showing above.

They both indicate low intake pressure.

215 is for the front cylinder, 216 for the rear.

Mine turned out to be a vacuum line that had come loose.

I understand that most times, it's the sensors.

Since you're replacing them both, those codes should be taken care of.

Unless you've also got a loose or damaged vacuum line, of course.
    You don't need to earn my respect.
    I give it freely.
    Whether or not you keep it is entirely up to you.