Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, Shit...

Well, Shit...

My Shiver has been sitting for several days because it's been too damned hot to gear up and ride.

Yesterday, it was only going to top-out in the 90º range, so I decided to ride to work, as usual.

The bike started, revved all by itself a couple times, and shut off.

The dash displayed the red service light for second, then it went out, so I turned the key to off, waited a little bit, then started the bike again.

Same thing happened, but this time the service light stayed on.

I thought I could access the code to see what was wrong, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Any clues?

I'm thinking that it has to do with the poor thing living in the garage while the temps outside were in the 115º range for a few days (it was probably well over 120º inside the garage), since there were no signs of anything wrong last time I rode it.
    You don't need to earn my respect.
    I give it freely.
    Whether or not you keep it is entirely up to you.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have a similar problem.

After parking in the hot sun for a couple of hours the bike was difficult to start. When it did it ran rough and didn't respond to the throttle unless I revved it really high. It gradually got worse until it would only rev to 2000 and sounded like it was running on just one cylinder. I rode it to the dealer at 25mph in 4th gear.

The bike is currently being fixed. First thought was water in the fuel. Upon inspection injector pump is only producing 20psi. It should be at least double that.

Does heat damage the pump?
    I like to drink brake fluid - but I can stop whenever I want.

apriliaforum expert brandonmccann's Avatar
    maybe try and let it idle?

3rd ride out with the Rexxer it died at a stoplight(has happened before anyways). It's super hot and humid here at the moment, about 95F and 70% humidity, more that day as I was literally minutes away from it raining on me.

Started right back up though and had no problems.

Before the rexxer flash bike had sat for about a month or so, and I had to have the bike on(not started) for 30+ minutes to flash. Maybe it's just a battery thing? Literally only ever happened to me after I first hop on after bike had been sitting for a bit. I checked the error codes, nothing is active. Did not check with the Rexxer diagnostic tool though, but I have it in case I run into any issues which I haven't since. Bike's been running awesome since the flash other than the one instance mentioned here.

So yeah, maybe just a battery thing? Fans were definitely kicked on and clutch was pulled in for like 3 minutes(it's a very long light and I missed an opportunity to turn).
    -----------------------------------------
    *WANT to BUY* - Healtech quickshifter, GLpro X gear indicator, aftermarket shock, HLD Large Rear Fender, Samco radiator hoses, Carbon tank panels; For 2009 Shiver.
    **For SALE** - MotoCorsaro O2 Optimiser, OEM Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders W/ Mad Hornet adjustable levers,OEM mirrors and stock muffler; From a 2009 Shiver.

2009 Aprilia Shiver; Rexxer ECU Reflash, Andreani Cartridges, Apex Clipons, 520 45T, DNA filter and snorkel removal, Accosatto clutch & brake masters, Brembo rear master, Mussan MPdemon full system, Skidmarx Bellypan, HLD seat cowl, Sport Screen, CRG Arrows, LED retrofit(Opt7, Zevo, Watsen), R&G Tidy, Rosmoto Rearsets, T-Rex Sliders, Iridium plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonmccann View Post
    maybe try and let it idle?
    It won't idle.

Won't stay running for more than a few seconds.

Starts up, gives two or three small surges in RPM, then shuts down.

Going to get my neighbor to help me load it in the truck and take it to the local Aprilia shop.

The good news is, it's actually local.

I called the dealer in Newport Beach and was told that they no longer service Aprilias, but they informed me that there's a brand-new Aprilia shop in Orange, about five miles from house.

Called them and talked to the owner, who sounds very competent, and has completed the Aprilia Service Technicians' school.

Wish me luck.
    I give it freely.

apriliaforum expert
    Keep us posted on what errors flag up and what turns out to be the eventual cause. It sounds like it could be the MAP sensors. Good luck!
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Agreed with the above. Good luck and please let us know what the outcome is.
    2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750

Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    It sounds like it could be the MAP sensors. Good luck!
    My thinking too.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Called the shop yesterday afternoon, after they had the bike for a whole day, but they hadn't even looked at it yet.

The shop owner said he'd get to it before he left and let me know what the diagnostics said.

He never called.

Half of today is gone already, and still no word.

If I don't hear from them today, I may go pick the bike up and haul it down to San Diego, or up to Glendale.
    I give it freely.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by DJB quad View Post
    I have a similar problem.

After parking in the hot sun for a couple of hours the bike was difficult to start. When it did it ran rough and didn't respond to the throttle unless I revved it really high. It gradually got worse until it would only rev to 2000 and sounded like it was running on just one cylinder. I rode it to the dealer at 25mph in 4th gear.

The bike is currently being fixed. First thought was water in the fuel. Upon inspection injector pump is only producing 20psi. It should be at least double that.

Does heat damage the pump?
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I have started so I will finish...

Low fuel pressure - could have been a faulty pump or just a blocked filter. In the end the pipe from the pump was found to be leaking so the final pressure was reduced. Off course the leak was not visible externally because the pump is inside the tank. Pressure is now 3.75 bar.

Neither the dash board or the diagnostic computer showed any errors so it was just down to good old logic and elimination. The whole thing took 2 weeks.

Would pressure rise due to parking in the sun cause that? I know the tank is vented.

The guy said Yamaha advise not parking in the sun.

The invoice was something like this ;-

Thinking £100
    Drinking tea £50
    Head scratching £100
    Arse scratching £50
    Arse scratching premium £50
    Pulling hair out £50
    Tighten hose clip £40

Total £440
    Last edited by DJB quad; 07-14-2018 at 12:26 AM. Reason: add information

apriliaforum expert
    Aprilia advise not parking in the sun as well. But I think that's for the paintwork more than anything else. There's a 100°C lump of metal immediately under the tank, and some 800+ °C bits of metal under the seat as well. I don't think a bit of sun on the outer skin (separated from the tank proper) is going to do too much damage - it'll have to heat all the fuel up first, which will just evaporate anyway - did you check your vent lines?

Glad you got yours fixed, sounds like an easy job once you get the pump out. But as you say, the tricky bit is properly establishing the problem.

How did you measure the pressure from the pump, incidentally?
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I think the vent is OK. I never notice any 'sucking' when I open the tank - very frequent on a DD.

The garage did all the work including measuring the pressures.

Well, after calling the new Aprilia shop every day, they finally plugged it into the diagnostics (four days after I dropped it off) and said that the problem was low intake pressure.

The mechanic then told me that he had sent a screen shot of the diagnostic results to Aprilia and was waiting to hear back.

So, I reminded the guy that when I dropped the bike off, I told them that I was a couple thousand miles late for my valve inspection, because everyone I've ever spoken to has never been out of spec at 12,000 miles, but the low intake pressure would seem to indicate that the valves are out of spec at this point.

He said he had some kind of protocol, or some shit, that I didn't get the gist of (probably because it was an excuse for him to take his time on my repair).

I decided that to avoid another useless twenty minute phone call, I'd just send him an email.

Re: 2015 Shiver in for service.

Instead of interrupting your day again by constantly calling on the phone, I thought I'd drop you an email.

Last time we spoke, you said that you had sent a screenshot of the error codes to Aprilia and are waiting to hear back.

My experience with Piaggio has been that it could be days, or even weeks before you hear anything back from them, and I honestly don't understand the necessity of their input.

Since the low intake pressure indicated by the error code is most likely caused by the valves being out of adjustment, and I brought the bike in for a valve inspection and adjustment, why is it we're not just going ahead with the valve job that I asked for?

Please consider this email as an authorization to go ahead with the valve inspection and spark plug replacement, replacement of valve shims as necessary, and chasing down the cause of the coolant loss, as discussed when I dropped the bike off.

If draining the cooling system turns out to be necessary for repairs when the cause of the loss is found, please replace the coolant with Engine Ice.

If not, I'll replace the coolant myself when you're done with whatever you need to do.

Also, I'll go ahead and change the oil and filter, inspect the clutch, and do all the other regular maintenance required, once you've finished the work that I originally requested.

Please let me know ASAP when I can expect you to have the work completed.

Thanks,
    John Gurzi

I give it freely.

Why didn't you take it to Amauri?

Because I've never heard of him.

Just did a search and found his number in another thread.

Now I'm really pissed.

Is he authorized to do warranty work?

One of my issues (the mysterious loss of coolant) should be covered by my extended warranty.
    Last edited by LesRiskey; 07-14-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    I give it freely.

So they plugged it into diagnostics, which said that it was low intake pressure. Your valves would have to be waaaay out for that to occur and I doubt if the motor would run very well. Alternatively, you could have a leak in the airbox. This would show up as dirt on the inside. Or a leak in the intake manifold, which being a small area should be easy to find.

Or, and much more likely, faulty MAP sensors, which is a common problem.

The sensors are cheap enough, but the front one is fiddly to replace.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast