Thread: My scoot won't start sometimes when engine is warm.

My scoot won't start sometimes when engine is warm.

The past few days when my motor is warm and scoot has been shut off for like 15 minutes the scoot won't re-start. It turns over wihout even coming close to firing as if it is getting no spark, eventually after I let her set for another 15 mins she will start up.
    This problem seems to be progressing.

What is a stator?
    I feel it is something electrical but could it be a choke sticking?

Thanks

2007 Aprilia SR50 Ditech, Malossi 70cc BBK, 6.8 gram rolls, Malossi red contra spring and torsion controller. VL12 reed cage, NGK CPR8E plug, SKF crank bearings, LVZX chrome pipe, Malossi red sponge air filter. Craftsman Water Trap.

I see you're running a water trap, but your symptoms match the ones I experienced when I had an emulsion problem.

The bike started by being a tad harder to start after refueling or snack stops, but it progressed into stalling at red lights, to having to wait for it to cool down before it even would restart, to having it cool down for over an hour while I pushed it home until I found someone to jump start my dead battery, then riding it home like the wind, never stopping for fear of it stalling again.

Turns out I had the most epic buildup of what was the richest, creamiest emulsion on the face of the planet.

Thank you motul 710!

Personally, I didn't like the water trap solution, so I went back to semi-synth and insulated the compressor line. I haven't removed the bowl to check, but it's been trouble free for over 3000 kilometers since then.

What is a stator?
    I feel it is something electrical but could it be a choke sticking?
    The stator is the static part of the alternator. It's made up of wire coils wound around steel cores that generate AC current when the flywheel spins.

I doubt the choke could stick, there's no choke on a ditech, maybe if the ECT was bonkers and messing with the starting enrichment... but then it'd probably throw a DTC.
    Last edited by DJ GT-S; 03-29-2009 at 08:22 AM.

yeah,
    I have no ecu errors.

thanks

2007 Aprilia SR50 Ditech, Malossi 70cc BBK, 6.8 gram rolls, Malossi red contra spring and torsion controller. VL12 reed cage, NGK CPR8E plug, SKF crank bearings, LVZX chrome pipe, Malossi red sponge air filter. Craftsman Water Trap.

After you crank it over a few times with a no start, pull your plug and take a look at it. See if it is getting wet.

Have you checked for a strong spark when it does that? You will need a high energy spark tester.. good tool to have in the scooter no start arsenal.

The water trap in my opinion is still the best defense for something that occurs naturally in every compressor. As riders experiment with different oils the water trap will catch the emulsion of those that form a lot of it.
    Last edited by High Gain Tuning; 03-29-2009 at 12:25 PM.

I'll buy a spark tester.

It didn't do it today. It seems to do it when the scoot cools too much.

It starts perfectly when cold and soon after shutting down a hot engine.
    When I let is set for about 20 mins is when it gives me troubles re-starting.

Thanks

Warm starting issue

One thing you can rule out is a compression issue. It would be the opposite concern, if that were the case. Like HG said start checking the basics when it is at proper operating temperature.

I like tools especially inexpensive diagnostic aids such as spark testers, compression testers etc. Good luck and let us know what your spark plug looks like your secondary ignition strength is...

-JESR50R

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchbak View Post
    I'll buy a spark tester.

It didn't do it today. It seems to do it when the scoot cools too much.

It starts perfectly when cold and soon after shutting down a hot engine.
    When I let is set for about 20 mins is when it gives me troubles re-starting.

Thanks

Be sure to pull and check the plug when it does it... sure sounds like a dripping injector.

will do,

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by High-Gain SR50 View Post
    Be sure to pull and check the plug when it does it... sure sounds like a dripping injector.
    ok, so I had another no-start.

It sat warm engine for about 20 minutes.
    I tried several times to start in a period of 5 minutes with no success feeling confident that if I were to wait anothe 15 it would start.

But, I checked plug for wetness and had a very dry plug.
    Then I did as before and changed to a plug I had under the seat, it is a fairly new plug, it started right up. Both plugs look clean. What puzzles me is that the plug that was under the seat is the same plug from the last no start using the same procedure to get it started (i didn't clean the plugs as they are like new).
    So I am wondering if when I change the plug if I am just buying more time for the scoot to cool or air itself out or something.
    The machine runs fllawlessly when started.

btw,
    I would like to buy a cpr8e if anyone has a new one they aren't using.
    I now live at the ocean and haven't located a local place to purchase.

Also, the scoot runs noticibly different at 3 feet elevation than it did in Asheville at 2,300 not to mention that the biggest hill I have here is a boat ramp or speed bump.

apriliaforum newb
    I think I have this problem.
    where do I find this emulsion build-up?
    Also what would be faulting on my scooter if the electric start doesn't work?

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. CANADA
    Welcome to the Forum!

If you haven't already done so, you should read the Sticky "Read Me First!" In there you will find TONS of valuable information!!

The "goo", if you have it, will be in the Fuel Bowl located on the Fuel Rail.

Check your connection on the starter, it my be loose or corroded first.

Tempus Fugit
    06 SR50 (Morini)/AIRSAL 70CC BBK/NGK BR9EIX/Top Speed-117KPH (GPS)!!
    Rear Rack & Top Case/Buzzetti Side stand/Aprilia Racing Shock W/STR8 65mmRiser/HGT Stretch Kit
    HGT PFI Kit/Malossi MHR Team II Pipe/All Polished Water Pump
    Black HGT Gen 3 Fuel Regulator/Stebel Magnum Horn/Glowshift Elite Gauge
    BING 26mm TBA/BGM Pro Reed Block & Pod Filter
    Polished Aluminum Varo W/Kick start/Pod Filter/HEL Brake Lines
    HGT Red Brake Levers/LED bulbs/BGM LED Tail Light
    Malossi Delta Clutch w/Blue springs/Red Contra spring & TC/MHR Full Circle Crank
    Malossi 15/40 Primary Gears & Multivar w/5gr Dr. Pulley Sliders/Kevlar Belt
    Michelin Pilot Sport 140/60 Rear tire w/Dyna Beads&TPMS Sensor

apriliaforum newb

wat spark plug do i need

I have a aprilia sr50 r factory 2004 and i need to know wat spark plug i need in it it has the water cooled piaggio engine also wats the reason for it no ticking over and wats the reason for a delay on the throttle any help is great

Spark plugs are the NGK CPR8E and NGK ZMR7AP. If it isnt turning over, you can have several isues. Check the battery, battery/starter connections, starter relay, brake light switches, etc. If that doesnt help, you might want to start another thread.
    2009 SR50 Factory

20 mm Bing Throttle Body
    Water Trap (Kobalt tapped with 1/4" NPT brass drain)
    Castrol Power RS TTS
    Castrol Syntec Gear Oil- 75W-90
    Oil Pump Flow Increased
    NGK ZMR7AP-(.030-.032) (Indexed @ 12:00)-
    Leo Vince ZX-R
    Malossi RS24 Rear Shock
    5.0 and 5.5 DP Sliders- Red Springs
    8mm Mirror Risers/Extensions + 30mm Washer
    Aprilia Emulsion Bleed Valve
    LED Tail/Brake Light
    Black Tunnel Covers
    Rear Tire- Pirelli Diablo Performance 140/60P-13
    Front Tire- Pirelli SL 26 Performance 130/60LX-13
    Top Speed (Digidash)-50-51 MPH @ 9100 RPM (Flat Road/Tucked)
    Rider Weight- 215 lbs

22,200 miles-11/2013

Yeah, Coulda' Bought A Harley- But Chicks Dig Scooters!!!!!: