Thread: aprilia sr50 wont start

apriliaforum newb

aprilia sr50 wont start

hi, i bought my 2003 aprilia sr50 a few months ago without a carb ( its the suzuki engine) i recently bought a carb and conected it and it ran fine for the day untill i turned it off and then it would just splutter.

left it over night tryed again and nothing so put fuel down the head and it worked so then i thought it was the carb so gave it a clean, fuel is getting to the carb but not coming out into the engine?

any ideas on what it could be? ive ready loads of threads on this forum and found a few similar problems but none have really been answered or discovered

what colour is the plug mate?? if you can get it running long enough, do a plug chop
    2000 SR 50 "Tesuya Harada" Replica
    Finally Sold!!

2004 RS 125 Tuono
    powervalve fitted and now working
    derestricted cdi
    EBC HH brake pads
    Goodridge braided lines
    Wemoto Shock
    Gianelli Pipe
    Cast iron bore
    Vertex Piston

Yamaha 350 LC

project race bike so expect some fancy parts

apriliaforum newb
    plug comes out with a tiny bit dark at the end but feels wet, when you put the fuel in the head it runs for well not even a few seconds it just uses the small bit of fuel that i put in.

if it had low compression would it still run with fuel down the head? beacause i took the carb off and put my hand over the inlet and it didnt really suck as hard as i fort it should

is your idle valve blocked??
    2004 hyosung comet.......sold
    2003 morini ditech...........sold
    1998 yamaha bws............sold
    2000 aprilia sr 125............sold
    2003 benelli 491 rr............sold
    2003 honda lead...............sold
    2006 rieju matrix 125.........sold
    2002 aprilia habana............sold
    2001 elyseo 100................sold
    2001 aprilia sr 125..............sold
    2000 sr 50........................sold
    2000 gilera stalker............. sold
    2001 habana 125................sold
    2000 aprilia sr 125...............sold
    2006 hartford 125l...............sold
    2003 aprilia sr 125.
    2003 morini ditech

apriliaforum newb
    no everything on the carb seems fine, i was out riding it around but after a few hours it just packed up.

apriliaforum newb
    just after my last post i went outside, popped the carb off and pocked all the holes where the air filter is and tryed to fire it like that with no air filter or choke and it fired! so sat tapping my finger over the choke hole as the revs got high, left it running for about 30 - 45 minutes then conected everything up and it revved perfect untill i grabbed my lid and hopped on, it bogs again think i just need to play with the air mixture screw now down i or change my jets again

try screwing it in a little...
    2004 hyosung comet.......sold
    2003 morini ditech...........sold
    1998 yamaha bws............sold
    2000 aprilia sr 125............sold
    2003 benelli 491 rr............sold
    2003 honda lead...............sold
    2006 rieju matrix 125.........sold
    2002 aprilia habana............sold
    2001 elyseo 100................sold
    2001 aprilia sr 125..............sold
    2000 sr 50........................sold
    2000 gilera stalker............. sold
    2001 habana 125................sold
    2000 aprilia sr 125...............sold
    2006 hartford 125l...............sold
    2003 aprilia sr 125.
    2003 morini ditech

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    just after my last post i went outside, popped the carb off and pocked all the holes where the air filter is and tryed to fire it like that with no air filter or choke and it fired! so sat tapping my finger over the choke hole as the revs got high, left it running for about 30 - 45 minutes then conected everything up and it revved perfect untill i grabbed my lid and hopped on, it bogs again think i just need to play with the air mixture screw now down i or change my jets again

That's what mine did ... but i managed to get out an go for a ride ... and it died about 10 mins into it .. pushed it home .. wouldn't start at all ... let garage have a look an they said its compression .. gaskets an rings need replacing .. said its just blowing the petrol out .. althought mine wouldn't even start with petrol down the head ... but spose it mite worth swapping them out. That's what i think ive gotta do.
    2004 SR50
    Piaggio 2-Stroke LC
    Giannelli Race Exhaust
    5.5 Gram Rollers
    More Tba

apriliaforum newb
    well i got the carb off again, changed the jet to the original one put it all back together, sucked the vacume pipe and im now out of fuel! (ezplaines the bogging when i went for a ride LOL)

Pea, i was thinking it could be low compression myself and was getting ready to buy a new piston + rings and a full gasket set with new reeds because when i was kicking it with my hand over the inlet (without carb) it wasnt sucking that hard, but now its running it sucks like mad!
    il still change them thought when i get the funds even though there only cheap, ide rarther spend my money on something else lol