Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Powercommander map

Custom Powercommander map

I've just had a custom map done for my 2006 Trail. It has a K&N filter and the snorkel cut off about 1 inch below where it enters the airbox, but stock pipes. The map is quite different to the closest map on the Dynojet website (snorkel removed with stock air filter) and is richer in most places - this isn't surprising given that the intake modifications should make the bike breathe easier and hence run leaner. The bike seems to pull better all round and revs out much more willingly. Not clear what the effect on fuel consumption is yet.

Send me a PM with your email if you want a copy.

I was interested in the HP and torque curves on the dyno. Max HP was 42.2, which was a little more than Bike mag's test of the XTR 660, less than what others have posted here, and much less than Akropovic lists for a stock bike. However, the torque was interesting. Pretty much flat from about 38 ft-lbs at 3300 rpm(!) through to 39.9 at 5000 rpm dropping off slightly beyond that. This is much more than the Bike test of the XTR660 in this range and similar above 5500rpm, but significantly less than the Akrapovic figures above 4500 rpm.

A couple of questions. How much differences can you expect between different dynos? The Akrapovic figures seem particularly high. I'd be interested in seeing the curves for other Pegs.

Secondly, the air / fuel curve runs pretty flat between 3800 to 5500rpm at 14:1 and drops only slightly beyond that. However it dips down from 14 at 3600 to 12.7 at 3400rpm. Is this an issue?

Cheers
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Hey well done on that!! Check your PM, I really wanted to know if someone did this. How much (in Euros please!..) did it cost? After our talk about the fuel consumption on my Strada I made a call to a local authorized Dynojet tuning center. The cost for a custom map is 150 Euros.

I'm surprised our bike has such low HP. I also was fooled by Akra's charts but other people seem to spot that difference too. I thought I was near 50 Hp with the air snorkel and the K&N..

I'm starting to like the idea of fitting Akras though, and a custom map after that.. check this out, this is the lowest price I can find in europe.
    http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...prod/257/23668
    Mammad - 2009 Shiver GT

apriliaforum Member
    Hey Bob,

I know from dyno testing of cars that one should never compare dyno results from one dyno to the next. Even comparing results from the same dyno on different days can yield big differences. Dynos were only invented as a tuning tool - to show improvement to tuning at the time of tune. Things like humidity, temprature, tire type / wear / slippage and altitude can all result in wildly different results for the same type of bike on the same type of Dyno.

So that you know - my bike bone stock on a DynoJet Dyno made 44hp at the rear wheel. Soon I will dyno it again to get custom map done for my bike now that it's modded but I won't pay much attention to the old dyno run - only the before and after runs from the same session.

Hope this helps.

apriliaforum Member
    Hey Bob - what were the figures before and after the tune?

Hey Frodo,

I am interested in your PCIII map please and will PM you. I have Arrow mufflers on mine and it runs OK with one of the Dynojet maps. I can't remember which one is on there now, as I swapped them around and played with them for months before I was happy with how it went. Interestingly, while my bike was in for repairs recently, I asked their new mechanic/tech (ex-UK Aprilia trained) to evaluate the state of tune and maybe tweak it for improved performance. He said it was the smoothest and most rideable Peg he remembers riding, and the shop owner, who rode it also, said the same. Still - always trying for more improvement.
    Cheers
    Graham
    Brisbane
    Australia

2010 Shiver Sport

2008 KTM 690E

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/Oz-Strom/

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi Frodo
    Sorry this is off the thread but do you have the link to your Yam crash bar installation?
    I bought some last year after seeing the pics of them on your bike but now cant find it.
    Thanks

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Excuse the interuption, just found them Frod. Fantastic Thanks

Thanks for the map Frodo. I just loaded it but didn't have the time to ride it yet. I noticed that the idling speed dropped a bit, so I tuned it back to normal and reset the closed throttle position. Did this happen to you? The fuel change % @idling speed was ~+25. Did this help with the popping when closing the throttle on low RPM? And last, any news on the fuel consumption compared to our previous map?
    Mammad - 2009 Shiver GT

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammad View Post
    Thanks for the map Frodo. I just loaded it but didn't have the time to ride it yet. I noticed that the idling speed dropped a bit, so I tuned it back to normal and reset the closed throttle position. Did this happen to you? The fuel change % @idling speed was ~+25. Did this help with the popping when closing the throttle on low RPM? And last, any news on the fuel consumption compared to our previous map?
    from playing with a fuel adjuster on a V strom i notice that a more rich mixture will decrease the idle RPM, i guess this is the case with this map.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammad View Post
    Yes my idle speed dropped so low that it would barely idle. This was easily fixed by turning up the idle adjuster screw. Interestingly now it idles higher when cold (about 1800), but then drops back to 1500 when warm, which is not a bad thing.

My commuting fuel consumption in the last two tanks has been 20.6 and 20.0 km/l, which is a little lower than normal. But the bike is more willing to rev and I'm obliging, so that might make the difference.

My pipes were real sooty on the trip back from Napier (about 270km away) where it was tuned, but I was riding into a head wind and only got 18km/l. They are just a light black now, indicating a good mixture.

The bike is now running 99.5% Pulls like a diesel at low revs, yet is now more willing to rev. Only niggle is its not 100% smooth on a trailing throttle above 4500 rpm. But that's really nitpicking

Cheers
    Last edited by Frodo; 02-04-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Engine bars

Quote Originally Posted by Ibis View Post
    Excuse the interuption, just found them Frod. Fantastic Thanks
    Ibis, in my opinion, the Givi bars are the best looking bars for the Peg and offer good protection, including for the water pump. The also offer reasonable protection for the radiator/expansion bottle. As I noted, they did require some professional welding to adapt the brackets. Although the motor is the same as the Yam, the frame mounting points are different. I am happy with the outcome although (touch wood) I haven't tested them yet!
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Yes my idle speed dropped so low that it would barely idle. This was easily fixed by turning up the idle adjuster screw. Interestingly now it idles higher when cold (about 1800), but then drops back to 1500 when warm, which is not a bad thing.

My commuting fuel consumption in the last two tanks has been 20.6 and 20.0 km/l, which is a little lower than normal. But the bike is more willing to rev and I'm obliging, so that might make the difference.

My pipes were real sooty on the trip back from Napier (about 270km away) where it was tuned, but I was riding into a head wind and only got 18km/l. They are just a light black now, indicating a good mixture.

The bike is now running 99.5% Pulls like a diesel at low revs, yet is not more willing to rev. Only niggle is its not 100% smooth on a trailing throttle above 4500 rpm. But that's really nitpicking

Cheers
    I had the chance to ride it last night and I noticed the difference in torque, which is massive in lower RPM (the map settings gave that one away) but also noticeable in higher RPM. I drove close to it's top speed and I reached 178km/h easily without pushing it all the way.

I believe the previous map was a little smoother around 4000 to 5500 RPM but that's ok.

My fuel consumption seems to be the same but I haven't emptied a full tank just yet. I reached 215km the other day and I'm constantly above 200km, without going any softer on it, but this mileage is still lower than yours.

The weird thing is that the idling speed when cold (not right after you fire it up but after you ride for a while) went up to 2200(!!) RPM, and the engine brake was almost neutralized, not to mention that the bike thrusts forward when you downshift. But that wasn't a problem when the engine warmed up. As a reminder, it's still F***ing cold here in Greece.

That's all. Thanx again!
    Mammad - 2009 Shiver GT

Oh, I forgot to mention that the popping is almost gone! Seriously, even when it's been warmed up. This is good, bearing in mind that popping in general is supposed to be really harmful for the catalytic converters and the exhaust valves..
    Mammad - 2009 Shiver GT

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ibis, in my opinion, the Givi bars are the best looking bars for the Peg and offer good protection, including for the water pump. The also offer reasonable protection for the radiator/expansion bottle. As I noted, they did require some professional welding to adapt the brackets. Although the motor is the same as the Yam, the frame mounting points are different. I am happy with the outcome although (touch wood) I haven't tested them yet!
    Thanks Frodo, I agree they look better and Im happy to adapt them, Have now found your photo instructions which will help grately.
    Thanks
    IB

The bike is now running 99.5% Pulls like a diesel at low revs, yet is now more willing to rev.
    Just corrected a typo. It is now (not "not") more willing to rev.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast