Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Screams of terror

  1. #1
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    153

    Screams of terror

    Hi all, was riding out of London the other day on the raised section heading out to the M4 when the traffic started to slow so I started to filter between the two lanes, two cars ahead had not left much of a gap so I slowed right down and carefuly threaded my way through when I suddenly found myself accelerating while not using the throttle, the bike was also tilted at an angle and I had no control. I realised I was somehow being dragged along by one of the cars I had been trying to pass. We must have reached about 40 mph before the driver of the car heard my screams of terror and started to slow. He came to a stop and found that the left engine crash bar had got caught in his wheel arch (one of those horrible people carriers) and I just managed to free it without dropping the bike or myself as the traffic in the other lane was flying past. I have the Rhino Moto protectors fitted and they have a ridge of plastic around the outer edge which is perfect for getting caught in this way. A word of caution to all who have them fitted, I will have to grind mine down. Seasons greetings to all.

  2. #2
    apriliaforum expert jrflanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    18,638
    Jeeze, that sounded close! Glad you didn't drop it.

  3. #3
    apriliaforum expert Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    1,671
    That sounds terrifying. Glad you made it out in one piece.

    Never liked the look of the Rhino moto bungs and I have R&G's on mine - they stick out far less and I doubt they could be caught in the same way.

  4. #4
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    153
    Must point out that when riding in town I always have the left mirror flipped up as its far easier to get through traffic this way, would not have happened if the mirror was down. If the bike had gone over it would have taken me with it and I would have ended up under a few cars, it was a very strange moment.

  5. #5
    apriliaforum expert RAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    8,333
    Lane splitting is illegal here. You've just described why.

    Glad to hear it was only your shorts that got soiled.

  6. #6
    apriliaforum expert Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    1,671
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Lane splitting is illegal here. You've just described why.
    Never seen the sense in that myself. It's perfectly safe as long as you're sensible. To make it illegal and have bikes wait in queues with the tin boxes removes much of the point of being on two wheels in a city.

    I guess that's why the health and safety police will ban it here sooner or later.

  7. #7
    apriliaforum Junkie Astroboy66's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Never seen the sense in that myself. It's perfectly safe as long as you're sensible. To make it illegal and have bikes wait in queues with the tin boxes removes much of the point of being on two wheels in a city.

    I guess that's why the health and safety police will ban it here sooner or later.
    I also agree what's the point of waiting in a queue filtering is fine as long as you do this with respect and awareness of what is going on ahead of you.
    In London filtering through traffic takes even more care but cars drivers expect it.

    Free parking in town
    No Congestion charge
    No waiting in queues

    Why take the car?...ever?

    Im sure many will say Im wrong but never really seen the point of crash bungs this scary tale puts me off em even more!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Darkness Black , Staintune cans -H pipe - Derestricted airbox - Mille boot - MPL slave cylinder - Scotoiler - Hugger - Dual Star heated grips - Fast brain implant* slow body (owner not bike)

  8. #8
    apriliaforum expert rblue02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Blueridge GA, USA
    Posts
    2,135
    Here in Florida, filtering is not permitted, Cycle parking is rare,
    and the tolls roads charge cycles the same as SUVs.

    Add to that special laws created against cyclists,
    flat boring roads clogged with texting tourists, and the elimination of passing zones in many counties, it's a wonder any cyclist would stay here.

    Me? I'm moving......

    'Rant Off'

    Hey, SouthernChris, glad everything worked out OK in your 'moment'.
    '02 Futura, Blue
    97k miles and all is well.

  9. #9
    Banned Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    2,874
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernChris View Post
    Hi all, was riding out of London the other day on the raised section heading out to the M4 when the traffic started to slow so I started to filter between the two lanes, two cars ahead had not left much of a gap so I slowed right down and carefuly threaded my way through when I suddenly found myself accelerating while not using the throttle, the bike was also tilted at an angle and I had no control. I realised I was somehow being dragged along by one of the cars I had been trying to pass. We must have reached about 40 mph before the driver of the car heard my screams of terror and started to slow. He came to a stop and found that the left engine crash bar had got caught in his wheel arch (one of those horrible people carriers) and I just managed to free it without dropping the bike or myself as the traffic in the other lane was flying past. I have the Rhino Moto protectors fitted and they have a ridge of plastic around the outer edge which is perfect for getting caught in this way. A word of caution to all who have them fitted, I will have to grind mine down. Seasons greetings to all.

    What are Rhino protectors? I can't quite picture this. Are you riding with chariot axle grinders protruding from your rear wheel?

    Anything that protrudes that much makes it as dangerous as mirror extenders on the M4. Only, most riders who never filter in London don't have a clue as to how narrow the traffic space for filtering really is.

    It's legal to filter below 15-20mph in England - says so on our Highway Code.

    The M4 is particularly nasty. Why aren't you riding in the reserved lane for motorcycles, buses and taxis? It's a lot safer there!

    Have a safe Christmas

  10. #10
    apriliaforum expert vonDutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Lane splitting is illegal here. You've just described why.
    Thats just a matter of context. Some states do not even require a biker to wear a helmet. Over here it's legal to drive between lanes by the way...

    Good to hear you are ok. You couldn't have picked a better title for this thread as well. I guess I would be doing the same thing if it happend to me.

  11. #11
    apriliaforum expert Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    1,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    What are Rhino protectors? I can't quite picture this. Are you riding with chariot axle grinders protruding from your rear wheel?


    Can't find a pic of them on a Fut but did find this

  12. #12
    apriliaforum expert Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    1,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy66 View Post

    Im sure many will say Im wrong but never really seen the point of crash bungs this scary tale puts me off em even more!
    Extra insurance if you're a shortarse. Or clumsy.

  13. #13
    Banned Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    2,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post


    Can't find a pic of them on a Fut but did find this

    They look good actually. They do stick out a lot!

    Still wouldn't trust myself not to trip myself up over them when walking around the motorcycle.

  14. #14
    apriliaforum expert RAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    8,333
    Quote Originally Posted by vonDutch View Post
    Thats just a matter of context. Some states do not even require a biker to wear a helmet. Over here it's legal to drive between lanes by the way...
    Yup, just one of those contradictions. Helmets are not mandated to those with more than 2 years experience here. Doesn't mean that I think that's smart either.

    The Fut is the narrowest motorcycle I've owned since 1976. Those crash bungs stick out some, but to get one hung up in a fender means that the fender was just inches from thigh, knee, foot. Thanx, but I'll continue to maintain as many yards as possible between my breakable bits and morons yacking on cell phones or groovin' to their iTunes. rick

  15. #15
    apriliaforum expert The Fixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago. Don't get me started...
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy66 View Post
    Im sure many will say Im wrong but never really seen the point of crash bungs this scary tale puts me off em even more!

    The R&Gs do wonders saving body panels among other things like radiators...they work very well. (Don't ask how I know...)
    Lessens the chance of needing a tow too.
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart
    __________________________________________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •