Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sportcity suspension upgrades?

apriliaforum prov-nov

sportcity suspension upgrades?

Hey, just curious if anyone has done any kind of suspension upgrades/tuning on a sportcity... or maybe some kind of mod to the forks. In looking around I can't find any aftermarket shocks. Maybe it's not broke in yet, with only 400 miles, but I think the suspension could use some help....definitely doesn't feel as smooth as a big bike. Is there anyway to adjust the valving, either comp or rebound that you know of?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by the DOOD View Post
    Hey, just curious if anyone has done any kind of suspension upgrades/tuning on a sportcity... or maybe some kind of mod to the forks. In looking around I can't find any aftermarket shocks. Maybe it's not broke in yet, with only 400 miles, but I think the suspension could use some help....definitely doesn't feel as smooth as a big bike. Is there anyway to adjust the valving, either comp or rebound that you know of?
    Well you could always rebuild it with a slightly lower weight oil, see if that helps any. Though at 400 miles you are probably only starting to get broken in.

For parts I would try to figure out who they had make the fork and try to buy generic and not Aprilia bits. I've got to replace my oil seals and wipers and the ones I am getting will probably cost 1/3rd of the price from Aprilia.

Bitubo makes a set of rear shocks for about $600.
    Malossi makes a set also for about $400

An email to Bitubo, might bring you some luck there. Most European scooter parts places have the Malossi shocks.

You have 2 problems with a scoot. One is limited suspension movement. THe other is the very high unsprung weight at the rear. Throw in the effect of the small wheels and you've no chance of matching the compliance of a motorcycle.

Try to make either the spring rate or compression daming lighter and you'll have it bottoming. Try to make it firmer and you'll rattle your teeth. Aftermarkt shocks help by fine tuning a little, but not a lot. I wouldn't use a lighter oil at the front. A heavier weight might help a little, but it's the rear suspension that's the real stopper when it comes to a decent level of improvement.

Rob

VE.UK has the Malossi shocks for $300. Dunno about shipping, but probably around $60 or such.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by williamr View Post
    You have 2 problems with a scoot. One is limited suspension movement. THe other is the very high unsprung weight at the rear. Throw in the effect of the small wheels and you've no chance of matching the compliance of a motorcycle.

Rob
    What makes you say it has small wheels? At 15" the Sportcity is a large-wheeled scooter.

Have you tried adjusting the pre-load on the rear shocks?
    2008 Sportcity 250cc

apriliaforum prov-nov
    i turned the rear out as far as it goes (less preload). it was only 1 notch from all the way out to begin with.

williamr, i agree i'm pretty limited given the travel. i was just wondering if there was something to be done to make it feel better. most of my experience as far as suspension comes from mountin biking. and i can tell you....there's a huge difference between a $200 OEM fork and a $1000 tuned fork with the same travel. having said that, i really don't want to spend 1k tuning my forks. just thought if there was some way to adjust the valving on the stock forks i woudl try that.

and yeah....15" is larger than most scooters...but most motercycles are running 16 & 17s.

apriliaforum expert
    300$ shock for a scooter hell the thee bilsteins on my Vw cost less things cost about 12-20$ to mfg boy we are silly maybe buy a bike with a suspension to begin with the newer chinese stuff has dampers w external reservoirs etc like the honda car perf. units We'll catch up in a few yrs

apriliaforum expert
    300$ shock for a scooter hell the thee bilsteins on my Vw cost less things cost about 12-20$ to mfg boy we are silly maybe buy a bike with a suspension to begin with the newer chinese stuff has dampers w external reservoirs etc like the honda car perf. units We'll catch up in a few yrs

apriliaforum expert Buckeroo Bob's Avatar
    Yes, Where are those Chinese "knock offs" of Bitubos when we need them? You know they are out there. It's just a matter of finding them and getting the correct number. Ha!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    if the knock-offs perform like the real thing....i'd be all over them.

apriliaforum expert
    not much to a shock if ya remove the kid like hype advertising gas piston seals etc markets driven by youngsters n hype hence idiots pay hi prices cause simply they cannot sift whats real cause their uneducated want what they think is possible which many times its really not .. Its thee look man Fak perf .. like the early honda club cars w heated springs etc

apriliaforum expert
    well american disb. are buying them up and requiring you to have a dealers lic credit line etc to purchase to keep thee prices up in bout three years it ll all settle down Fad driven Basically

Chinese knock-offs would be exactly what Chinese knock-offs always are, Complete utter fucking shit. Bitubos are fucking awesome! Have no idea on the malossi's though. havent heard anybody ever talk about em, and I dont know anyone that has em. I do have experiance with chinese knock-off shocks though for differant scooters, and they are just god awful and barely safe.

And $300-400 isnt that bad, considering that ohlins and such will cost ya about $1000.

apriliaforum expert
    my shock is thee size of a car shock im sure kyb or such can help me out i'll be checkin soon just inverted KYB has stood their ground bout 20 yrs + now ive got em on a lowered jap car gas a just line 40 $ a pop add an over coil 35$ more just gotta fig out the silly rates aprilia uses

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast