Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprag clutch - BMW parts work!

apriliaforum prov-nov

Sprag clutch - BMW parts work!

Have a look at this thread guys, could save you a lot of dollars if, and when, your sprag clutch fails!
    http://www.rsvzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4919

Cool, that is good to know when I need to do mine.
    Falco Clip-on conversion Directions

Tuono bar install pics.

02 Mille-ono
    03 Xtreme 125cc mini-moto pit bike.

Holy cheap alternative batman! difference of about $200 between ape part and bimmer. For that kinda money I'm definitely willing to rebuild the bimmer part to lock up the right way.
    I'm on the app store! Check out Solitaire: Slide it's free!

or it said you can just put it on flipped around. I would just rebuild it so it lock the correct way. Couldn't be that hard to do if your doing all the other work.
    '04 RSVR Factory
    '03 Mille (sold)
    '01 WR426F
    '01 Gs500E(wifes) Sold
    '03 TTR225(wifes)
    http://www.noahbrownconstruction.com

Good read there.

You can just flip it around and not rebuild it.

From RSV Zone
    If you assemble the sprag the way the Aprilia one comes out (with the flange trapped between the flywheel and outer housing) it will lock the wrong way (which I might have seen if I’d taken notice of the direction arrow on it!).
    The BM part (and, Royston reckons, the Ducati part as well) has a smaller, tabbed flange which looks like it should fit in the milled recess on the back of the sprag housing.
    Royston reckons he fits them the other way, with the tabbed flange between the large drive gear and the housing. He says he’s done several this way and at least one local bike he knows of is still starting strong three years later (the others he hasn't had back so ...).
    To my relief, he also says that when he first used the BM part, he rebuilt the sprag to run the other way – just as I did – and it was fine.

Part used from BMW F650 http://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/prod...57177&x=27&y=9

pics http://www.aprilia-v60.com/page.php?24
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    If you're uncomfortable with fitting it the wrong way, rebuilding the sprag is easy. You just have to very gently ease the spring out of the way, lift out the roller (or whatever you want to call it) and spin it round - you'll know which ones you've done because they have a double line engraved on one end. Just work your way round, easing the spring out of the way as you go round (I hooked it over one of the tabs on the cage, did a couple of rollers, then replaced it and moved on). If you take the spring completely off, you'll never get them all back in! And don't wave it about near the (magnetic) flywheel or you'll end up with all of your shiny rollers on the garage floor!

This needs to be merged with the sprag sticky.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

apriliaforum newb
    Where is the best place to buy the BMW part online in the U.S.A. ? What is the part # number in the U.S.A. ? Thanks for the help.

apriliaforum expert Old Wanderer's Avatar
    I bought a bike some years ago (a Falco) that sounded like a thrashing machine when you hit the starter....

Here is a thread about how I fixed it and what the problem was...(it was not the sprague clutch, but rather the idler shaft for one of the gears that connect between the starter and the spraque unit.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=61689

It will take you only a few minutes to open the side case up to see what is wrong...
    The Old Wanderer

Iron Butt #32691

Life starts at around 30 but begins to get really fascinating approaching 150!!!

2007 Beta RR525 (The dirt gorilla)
    2008 KLR 705 Just for kicking up a bit of dust.
    2001 Aprilia Falco(s) A blue one and a Red one
    2000 CBR 600 F4 Honda (Quick track bike)
    2003 Aprilia Futura (When you really want to be thier quickly)
    2002 Aprilia CapoNor.Dirt road dust trail .
    2001 Aprilia Falco (Track)(The project that never ends)
    2000 Aprilia RS 250 GP...(Gone to a better home)
    1984 Honda V65 Sabre(RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by MotoNut View Post
    Where is the best place to buy the BMW part online in the U.S.A. ? What is the part # number in the U.S.A. ? Thanks for the help.
    Time to do the sprag!!!

Read through the whole thread on using the BMW part and I'm going to go for it. Looks like parts 11 and 12 correct?

As for the quote above, the part numbers for said parts are:

#11 - 12112343295
    #12 - 12112343296

This comes from the online parts catalog at http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com

I am sending an RFQ to http://bmw.gulfcoastmotorcycle.com/home_bmw.asp to try and locate the parts here in Houston TX. I'll let you know what cost is and will be updating this thread with pics shortly.
    “There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives” - Scott Adams

Never done this conversion myself but I don't think part no. 11 will be compatible. If the housing is damaged you will have to use the aprilia item.

BMW F650 motor was built from Rotax, the bike itself was designed and assembled by Aprilia.
    Aprilia bikes ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    --
    Please like and Follow the #gabroracingteam socials!
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/gabroracingteam
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/GabroRacingTeam-GRT

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    Never done this conversion myself but I don't think part no. 11 will be compatible. If the housing is damaged you will have to use the aprilia item.
    The hub itself is so outrageously expensive it will be more cost effective for me to make one if it is damaged.
    “There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives” - Scott Adams

apriliaforum prov-nov
    It's the sprag (12) itself that I used (I'm assuming your parts drawing is for an F650 - the part number, in the UK at least, is ENA57177) - I have not heard that the housing (11) will fit - don't think it will so you probably have to use an Aprilia one. But if you can prove different, let us all know! If you have time, take the bike apart first and see what's gone - you might get away with the sprag on its own if the housing is not badly damaged. If it ever happens to me again I'm going to look at simply cutting and re-tightening the spring on the sprag as this seems to be what goes most often.

Well I got it done!. The BMW part does work. Sorry I have to jump on the "I don't have any pics" wagon but this job turned out to be a nightmare of logistics. Total cost of the job was just under $400 (us). Only read advice I can add is to not cheap out and buy the crank holding tool and the flywheel puller. I had a serious pucker moment with a "substituted" crank holding tool. Bike starts just as smooth as ever. I'll be doing the wire mod and the starter relay mod in a few days. Take care guys and thanks for being there for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast