Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally--a fuel pump recall

I took everybody's advice on what to pack, luckily only had to break out the frog togs and some plastic tarp for my luggage. I had a big duffle bag as well as my baseball bag, and I just bungeed them onto the back seat. They provided me with a built in back rest so my back is fine, my ass is still numb though and I can't straigten out the claw grip in my hands!

Also, ear plugs came in real handy. Made the ride much more pleasant.
    The bike was a champ! Except for the hose issue of course. But just glad it didn't come on until I got to my destination.

I also got to see the bike's top end on the straight and lonely Interstate 10 through the desert. All loaded down with my gear, I still got it to almost 110mph. Which means how fast was it really going? The dammed speedometer says you're going faster than you really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitman View Post

straight and lonely Interstate 10 through the desert.
    You must have gone right by my house! Enjoy the wind? I need to get my beo checked out because I never could have made that trip without wiggle winding to to bad in the wind!!! 70-80mph feels wobbly and the wind does not help but lower speeds are fine.
    For the ancient Egyptians, a
    sacred creature and
    good luck charm, so the Scarabeo
    is also “sacred”

apriliaforum expert
    You guys, time heals.................years from now you'll laugh this episode off.

I have all kinds of miserable MC stories that make for good conversation years later. If we always wanted to take the easy way we could, but we like adventures and challenges, so we travel more on 2 wheels than 4. I've been doing this lifestyle for 45 years now, wife for 30 yrs. Maybe some day I will finally pack it in, but not yet, not even close. Just switching to scooters now to make it a little easier. Still ride my motorcycles too, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBeo View Post
    You must have gone right by my house! Enjoy the wind? I need to get my beo checked out because I never could have made that trip without wiggle winding to to bad in the wind!!! 70-80mph feels wobbly and the wind does not help but lower speeds are fine.

I was lucky with the wind. On the way there, the windmills in Palm Springs were not turning much at all, plus it feels like a tail wind going east.

On the way back it was a bit rougher, but I got through that part of the desert early in the morning before it warmed up. Mostly big semis on the desert run and when I would approach them from the left lane, I'd feel alot of turbulence until you passed them.

The worst wind was over the Tehachipi with pouring rain. I can't believe I rode through that shit!

Oh, while I was waiting at the dealer for my bike to get fixed, I sat on an 06GT they had on the floor. Wow! What a totally different looking bike than my IE. Definitely made for the long cruises like I just made.
    Still, I like the look of mine, and it is predominantly a city tool. Just right for me!

apriliaforum Member

Fual line fix

The recall says the dealers will place clamps on the line (old line, bad news) which splite shortly after placing clamps in this case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old fuel line, cracked.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	96788  

"All that's required for evil to triumph.....is for good men, to do nothing."

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Is the 04 part of the recall???

apriliaforum prov-nov
    my opinion of aprilia is fading. the honda silverwing is lookin real good lately.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by mcycle View Post
    Is the 04 part of the recall???

No, it's about newer Aprilia 500 scooters, and it seems to be caused by some ingredients in certain area fuel, which varies a lot(49 blends) depending where you get it(which State) and what time of year. This kind of incident doesn't only happen to Aprilia products.

I just bought a new '07 S500ie. The dealer performed the repair as part of prepping the bike for purchase, without my having to ask (I was going to try to get them to do it at the 600 mile service.) Scuderia West in San Francisco. Good stuff!
    Last edited by AdamW; 12-29-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: metric confusion
    Adam

2007 Scarabeo 500ie
    some of my photos and stuff for sale

apriliaforum newb
    does anyone know when the official fuel pump/clamp/hose problem will be forwarded to the dealers and when the recall kit will be provided to dealers? I have been waiting 3 weeks for the recall kit.

My Beo had issues before the recall and it did cost me. Go figure that I'd have to pay parts and labor so that my bike would not cut out on me on major streets in major traffic. Oh well....better late than never...

apriliaforum expert
    Maybe you can get reimbursed for your expenses now that it is a recall
    Vehicles:
    2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 GT ABS++
    2007 RoadRunner iscooter Classic 150
    2014 Chevrolet Volt
    2012 Fiat 500c 1.4 Multiair 5 speed manual
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 3.6 Pentastar 6 speed manual

apriliaforum newb
    do you know when the fuel line recall will reach the dealers. I am waiting to accept delivery until the fuel line problem is fixed

apriliaforum prov-nov
    hi all well it got nice here in chicago this week so i called my dealer about the recall they knew nothing called piaggio they said there is no recall ask my vin no no recall on your bike ok i sent them a copy of nhtsa report they said oh oh that recall starts in march we will be sending out letters

Hey tomcat. There's another 500i.e. in Chicagoland? I thought I was the only one. Which dealer are you using?
    '07 Scarabeo 500i.e., Frame #28
    '05 Vino 125R.I.P.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast