Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Replace the Rollers on the S500 GT

First of all I would like to thank JulioB this great descriotion.

I have an Aprilia Atlantic 500ccm (year:2004). Until today it runs about 11500 km. (cca 7100 mile). Next spring I would like to change some things in my Atlantic. For example the variator rollers. I have workshop manual, but I haven't found the rollers weight in the catalogue .

Can Somebody give me information about these rollers "company's weight"? I would like to order from ebay, or from other else shop, but I have to know rollers recommended brand, and weight (28g ??), and pieces (6pcs ???).

Thank you in advance !!

Here is a pictures about my Atlantic!!

Last edited by yager01; 11-09-2008 at 03:38 AM.

apriliaforum Member

roller

Yager You can stay on this site and go shopping . Af1 is one of the bigges site are OME parts for are Scooter

Also try www.scootertrap.com They have parts and accesories for the Atlantic and Scarabeo.
    Shfls... 2004 S-500, red/black #0131

If you can't change the people around you, change the people around you.

Time is finite...OK, time is infinite, but yours isn't!

Thanks for the information! I will check the shops....

Somebody has experience with this shop....?

Dr.Pulley

apriliaforum expert Allen Noland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yager01 View Post

Dr.Pulley
    I have used them in SR50s, they worked fine, but I'm not convinced they give a much greater performance gain than round rollers of the same weight.
    Noland Trans-World Cycle
    7 East 1st Ave. Mountain Lake Park, MD 21550 * Phone (301) 616-2034 * e-mail allennoland@yahoo.com
    http://www.facebook.com/NolandTransWorldCycle

Quote Originally Posted by yager01 View Post

Dr.Pulley
    We sell their products.... what would you like to know?

Matt C.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfetti View Post
    We sell their products.... what would you like to know?Matt C.
    In the prime of the year I would like to order 6 pcs Dr.Pulley 24gr to my AA 500 Scooter. Now I just looking for the best price, because these rollers are twice costly than the simple round rollers.
    Here in my Counrty nobody has experience with these special rollers. All my friend tell me that: "How can you spend soo much many for 6pcs rollers?!"

Soo....I'm unsure

The Dr Pulley weights work better because the slide into place instead of spinning like conventional rollers do. This means that they'll last longer and they're much, much quieter. Our customer seem to be extremely happy with them.

Matt C.

Hello Everybody! Today I changed my original rollers with the new Dr. Pulley rollers (28gr) Until this time (with 2 person) 100 km/h the RPM was cca 5000. Today with the new rollers (1 person) on 100 km/h the RPM was 5800-6000 !!

I feel that my RPM now is higher than the old rollers. Today For example my RPM was even 7000 (with full throttle)

I think that this is too high! What is your experience with RPM. (I have Aprilia Atlantic 500 year:2004)

apriliaforum prov-nov adamreed31's Avatar
    Yager 01, the rpm increase you are experiencing is exactly what they are designed to do. I am running the 24g sliders in my '04 AA500 and I personally think they are amazing. Bottom line is that the rollers allow the engine to go directly to its strongest part of the power curve as quicklyy as possible instead of the dreadful lag of the stock setup waiting for the engine to hit 5500rpm and beyond. It does take some getting used to, but the performance difference leaves the stock setup in the dust. Any performance variator setup on the market will offer similar (if not even better) results as the dr.pulley rollers- increasing rpm speed of the engine quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by adamreed31 View Post
    Yager 01, the rpm increase you are experiencing is exactly what they are designed to do. I am running the 24g sliders in my '04 AA500 and I personally think they are amazing. Bottom line is that the rollers allow the engine to go directly to its strongest part of the power curve as quicklyy as possible instead of the dreadful lag of the stock setup waiting for the engine to hit 5500rpm and beyond. It does take some getting used to, but the performance difference leaves the stock setup in the dust. Any performance variator setup on the market will offer similar (if not even better) results as the dr.pulley rollers- increasing rpm speed of the engine quickly.

I understand you, but I think the 7000-7500 RPM is too high for the engine. My AA500 is really much better than previously but I mean beside the higher RPM need for example stronger clutch spring.... etc. and something to else. The first step of the tuning is the rollers change, after I have to change a lot of parts... in this case...because these rollers are easier than the original (24gr vs. 29gr) that's why the rpm is increased....
    Do you mean that the 6000 rpm is normal with 100km/h speed? And the 7000 rpm is normal with full throttle? I worry about the engine....
    What do you mean?

apriliaforum prov-nov adamreed31's Avatar
    Yager01-
    As you have noted, the high revving characteristics of modding the cvt transmissions in our bikes does take some getting used to. The rev range you are speaking of is not uncommon after modding the parts mentioned. The high performance variator and roller kits are specifically designed to keep the engine in the 5500-8000rpm range simply because this is where the engine produces the most torque and horsepower.

I am uncertain to say if your clutch is slipping, that would probably also cause abnormally high rpms- but the bike would not be performing well, it would simply be all revs and no go. How many miles does the bike have? I doubt the clutch is the problem.

In conclusion, I think that all performance modifications are a trade off. Better handling=stiff bumpy ride. More power=more fuel consumption. etc, etc...

I hope this helps.

apriliaforum newb
    Change mine with 18g ordered from DR Pully in Singapore. 1) Problems, the foot rest part has 3 Allen head bolts, one was tight, not a tight fit with metric size, I had to cut a pop can, tape can 2-1/4" pieces to the wrench to fit. 2) Air impact didn't work. 1/2 in electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight did. 3) Air impact tightly back into place on reassembly.
    Now why did I go through this, What has changed. 1) The shutter at 25-30 is gone - now a smaller, shorter shudder at about 16-18 mph. Much better than 25-30 shudder when out of a turn, gone. SamA #307

Volante
    Great pics Julio, really well done.

I just changed out my 03 AA 500 rollers with (6) 20g Dr. Pulley's from Scootertrap.com. Sadly, the next day, I got a flat rear tire, so I'm waiting on my new Michelin Gold Standard to come in the mail before I can do any performance testing. I have nothing against AF1- especially this forum- a real life saver, but scootertrap is close to me and I have a good relationship with them.

I picked the 20g because it was the smallest available listed for the Atlantic at that store and in the slow moving city traffic I'm constantly bogged down in, I figured the quick response on the low end would keep me safer at the expense of the top speed- my mpg's are pretty crappy anyway while I'm averaging 10 mph, so that's not a big deal either. I only got to ride for about 20 miles the day I did it, and it felt stable, smooth and peppy- a little touchy in the throttle, but I'm sure I'll get used to it after a little practice. I'm really looking forward to having a better rear tire (I had a Avon Viper Stryke that the previous owner had on it- never a problem and better than the Maxxis, I think) and feeling what she can really do with the changes.

The process for the atlantic seems identical to Julio's pictures- just a little more plastic in the way to open up the variator, and mine only holds 6, not 8. The trickiest part was finding all the screws and alternating size allen wrenches to get down to business. But we should all be used to that by now, right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast