Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Replace the Rollers on the S500 GT

apriliaforum expert willprevale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manfetti View Post
    We sell their products.... what would you like to know?

Matt C.
    Why do you only stock 28-30g weights? I'm looking for 19gs.

Julio,

Question on re-tighting variator nut - did you have the proper variator tool, a home made variator tool, use the impact wrench or something else?

I have everything apart ready to remove the variator nut with my impact wrench but not comfortable with home made tools or just using the impact wrench for re-assembly. Have 13,200 miles on my belt and although the width meets specs there are some cracks appearing in the side lugs. My local dealer maintains my 2006 GT [#388] has a "6" roller variator so not sure what belt they would try to sell me.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
    __________________________________________________ ______
    2006 Scarabeo 500 GT ABS #388
    2007 Yamaha Morphous
    2002 Honda Silverwing

apriliaforum Junkie
    Despite never having bought a special factory tool before for any vehicle I have owned, I broke down and bought the variator holding tool from AF1, although I haven't used it yet.

However, having broken my right fibula last weekend (and no, it was nothing so exciting as being scooter related!) I probably won't be able to ride for a while, so I am planning a few little projects in the next week or two to keep me busy, one of which will be to open up the variator to see what condition the belt and rollers are in, and maybe instal the Dr Pulley weights, or even a J. Costa....which begs the question: will the Aprilia variator holding tool work with the J Costa? Hmmm, another thing to research.
    2006 500 ABS Serial no. 356

apriliaforum Junkie
    Just looked at how that tool works and it looks like it only holds the outer part of the pulley, so should be no problem with the J. Costa.
    2006 500 ABS Serial no. 356

apriliaforum newb

rollers

new owner of the 06 Aprilia Scarabeo 500. never road or owned a bike before just wanted to say thanks for sharing your info.I am always willing to learn more from other bike owners.I ride mine every day to work 82 miles round trip.8000 plus on it. I did buy it new with only 8 miles. thank for the tips

apriliaforum expert
    go with H.F 50$ Chicago brand their all the same mfg look carefully Im a meccie W Name brands mostly Sap on Etc He He

apriliaforum expert
    julio whats the orange silver screened breather connected to?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Great tutorial!
    Does anyone know what weight roller/slider is optimal for the 500 GT?
    I would assume driver/passenger body weight would require a certain set of dynamics for optimal performance while smoothing out the variator at the same time.
    I am 270 lbs and my foremost passenger weighs 170 so that's quite a bit of weight to be juggling different weight rollers or choosing the wrong ones for intended use...just wondering if there was a chart or something with weight to performance ratios out there.

I know any time you do mods there is a give and take as far as performance gained and I would prefer to minimize the minuses and create a reliable, smooth power band...while being gentle on the engine, power train.

apriliaforum newb

Ordered Dr. Pulley slider/weights

After looking around on the net, the manufacturer in Taiwan lists this fellow first of three authorized U.S. distributors of their products (the same place sells the HiT clutch ($338 with shipping if one pre-pays) and a replacement variator -- don't know anything about either one.

Michael Baird
    Owner - Buggy Parts NW
    www.buggypartsnw.com
    sales@buggypartsnw.com
    503-860-7250

The Scarabeo 500 GT with the 8-roller variator takes the 25x17 size sliders. The stock weight is 21 grams, and Mr. Baird is out of the stock weight until a new order comes in -- he says around mid-December though ordering from Asia carries with it some uncertainty. He has other weights going down in single gram increments to 16 grams. <http://tinyurl.com/3sh2qjw> I ordered a set of the 20 gram sliders for now, and pre-ordered a set of the 21 gram sliders for later. He sells the set for $53, or $63 with the four shoes, plus $5 flat shipping (though he offers other specific options for someone who wants it "tomorrow" and so on).

I noted in the disassembly of my drive that the nuts for the variator and clutch were both torqued way beyond the specified values in the manual. The manual calls for the clutch nut to go on 66.3 - 67.8 Ft-lbs (90 - 92 N-m), and the variator nut to go on 115.8 - 126.8 Ft-lbs (157 - 172 N-m) [I split the difference on the variator and went with 120 Ft-lbs].

I note that stock rollers for both the 6-roller and 8-roller variators are available at AF-1, as are the bell and 5-shoe clutch.
    Last edited by joesmoe; 10-29-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Paul
    Chantilly, VA

2006 Scarabeo 500 GT ABS
    [purchased new in 2009]

apriliaforum newb

Looking to buy scarabeo 500gt/ wtb side luggage for same bike

I am looking to buy a scarabeo 500gt with lo miles that has been cared for properly. Also looking to buy side luggage for the same 500gt scarabeo model. Please write if you have any tips or leads.

apriliaforum expert
    CSP wer ya from

apriliaforum expert
    I shot some video Changing to thee Smooth back Three Five Automotive Co.. Belt (aus Made) I ll try n Get on youtube or on My G mail acct Shared either way the accts are Tombukt2@gmail youtube acct same tombukt2 get em up soon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123