Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glorious but damp Aussie 2008 MotoGP tour

Talking Glorious but damp Aussie 2008 MotoGP tour

Hi there All. Thought I'd post a blog for those that are interested, if nothing else hopeful the photo's will get a smile

Ok, Wednesday the 1st was a cloudy and cool day but I was raring to go and was out the door by 7 to meet with my buddy Alex by 8 at Tailem Bend about 90k’s away. I took the scenic route up Piggott Range, through Clarendon, Kangarilia, Meadows, Paris Creek and Strathalbyn. From here I was over taken by a bunch of guys on Buell’s that wanted to run radar cover for me all the way to Wellington, thanks guys!

At TB the usual groups of bike turned up in packs ready to head of too the Island with the larger packs being up to 30 strong. Alex turned up as planned on his KLE 500 and it was on. Personally I’m not big on large groups cos it just gets to busy and slow. I’d much rather be in an independent small group and tack on to a larger group when you want.

We took a left at Keith and ran with a group of 10 to Naracoorte, from here we skipped in to Victoria using as many back roads (C class) as possible visiting places like Langkoop and Dunrobin where we stopped for a beer in the “Pub in the Scrub”.

We passed through Casterton, Coleraine & Hamilton before heading to make our way to Winslow near Warranambol were we stopped for the night. Here we met up with Duncan & Snow (KTM 640) and Phil (BMW Fundruo) who all rocked up very cold some time after dark. A great night was had by all with much beer, bourbon and wine consumed with us all being given a top feed and a warm place to sleep. Thanks Hanna and Mike for a great evening!
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by djump; 10-11-2008 at 09:36 PM.
    I took the road less travelled, now where the hell am I?

Day 2

The second day turned interesting quickly when Duncan started up the KTM to warm it. The motor sounded unusual which was a concern as the valve clearances has just been done before the trip. We loaded up and did the short ride to Warrnambool. A quick strip down made it was obvious that the KTM wasn’t going anywhere. Later we were told the true extent of the problem; the roller bearing cam follower had disintegrated putting metal through the engine and damaging the cam. We had to leave both Duncan & Snow to find alternative transport as we would soon be missing our window for our planned ferry trip.

Three bikes went on, the weather was fine and the road was grippy as we cruised The Great Ocean Rd with the pass over the Otway Ranges my favorite as I played with the BMW. We stopped in Apollo Bay for lunch and then pushed on through the winding ocean road to Lorne and then Queenscliff to catch a ferry to Sorrento.

We did come around one corner to find a speed trap but thankfully they were busy taking some guy’s license for doing 121kph in an 80kph zone, the poor bugger was done overtaking a car, another 4kph and they would have taken his bike as well!

The ride from the ferry to the island was non eventful and we were just glad to get to the track just after dark to meet with Scott who had been guarding our camp site since early morning. Much beer was consumed by all.

Latter we were all surprised by Duncan & Snow who had made it to the Island at about 12am on their brand new KTM 990 Adventurer. Got to love it! They got a great deal and couldn't resist the step up from the 640, so even more beer and spirit was consumed by all .
    Last edited by djump; 10-11-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Day 3 Friday

Friday was wet……
    It started of clear and bright but that soon changed. The clouds came over and heavy rain set in; I was glad not to be on one of those bikes doing 300kph down the straight trying to qualify. It was still as special day however as we married of the previously missing couple which was indeed a highlight of the weekend.

We had dinner at a really cool resturant called Duchy's and you guessed it, much beer and spirit was consumed along with a really nice meal. When we returned to the camp we knew it was really wet and muddy because the hire bus decided to go down the hill in the camp ground sideways as other campers dived out the way!

With the fire roaring thanks to Scott we still had a really fat time into the really early hours of the morning
    Last edited by djump; 10-11-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Day 4 Saturday

Saturday
    The day cleared and things started to dry out. After the hangover cleared and there was food in the gut it was time to have a good look around. Spent money on this and that and headed into town were I saw another flame red RST!

This was the first I'd seen up close and I chatted with Mark the owner who was just as surprised and happy to see another. Once I got back to the track I settled into my Southern Loop stand to watch the 600 super bikes and classic bike races. Very nice, but the carnage to the classics was a bit sad, but it was spectacular!

That night much beer and spirit lead to fire works, many burn outs and fun for all. The rear tyre on Scotts XJR1300 went from brand new to unhealthy very quickly; needless to say it was the best burnout of the weekend.
    Last edited by djump; 10-11-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Day 5 Sunday, Race Day

Sunday
    A real beauty, the Island really turned it on for race day with light breezes and sunshine. Got to our seats as the 125 raced started and were treated to some great riding in all categories. Congratulations to Stoner for taking out the premier class, but hats off to the new world champ Rossi who had an amazing ride. It was also great to see Nicky on the podium. Just for our pleasure Pedrosa threw it away right in front of us . Needless to say once again the esky was drunk dry and not a drop left in any hip flask.
    Last edited by djump; 10-09-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: correction

Day 6, Monday and time to leave

Monday
    We all awoke to a hangover, wind and rain. We cooked in the rain, packed in the rain, rode in the rain. We had planned to do some touring around Vic but we gladly said yes to an invitation to camp in Melbourne for the day. As we parted I was almost surprised that I got out the paddock with out dropping her on her side, talk about slippery!

The trip to Melbourne was interesting as we had to plug a very worn rear tyre and repeatedly push start the KLE. Once there we took the opportunity to charge the KLEís battery and change the tyre on the XJR replace a broken clutch leaver and demolished another carton in well practiced time.

Day 7 Tuesday

Tuesday
    Only three of us left. We headed up the Yarra Valley along some gorgeous but quite wet roads. It wasnít really raining, but then it wasnít dry either. We pasted through Warburton and had a look at the Upper Yarra Dam. We then headed over the top of the ranges to Marysvillie which provided cold (3 deg C) wet and foggy conditions which I just had a ball in. No one else seemed to think the same but I thought it was special with the mountain ash trees and tree ferns enveloped in the fog. I think my anti fogging visor might have given me the edge as the others just couldnít see.

We said good bye to Scott after a great breakfast at Marysville and headed through the black spur to Healesville. Another great road all to ourselves, but my rear tyre was gone by the time I got there, so I found a very small workshop with a Pilot Power to replace it. I help them take the wheel off the bike because they couldnít work it out and I also got them to up my pressures to 36/46 to get better mileage. I was glad to have lower pressures for the grip through the wet twisty stuff but now had some serious Kís to cover.

We made it to Ballarat before we called it a day.

Day 8, last day to play

We had to make some serious ground so the RST and KLE turned towards the west trying to use as many B and C class roads as possible and we soon found ourselves in Dunkeld south of the Grampians for Lunch. From here we headed North through the Victoria Valley which is a delightful back pass where the KLE promptly ran out of charge from the battery. We push started it but she just wouldnít idle.

We gave her enough charge to start by using jumpers the RST as a donor for about 15 minutes (she didnít like that!) but luckily a car which had got lost come along; and after another tem minutes we said goodbye and headed straight for Horsham. At a local dealer diagnosed that the alternator was completely stuffed. We charged the battery for about an hour and disconnected all the lights and thermo-fans to try and get as much range as possible. From here it was another 5 hours of boring highway before getting home to Adelaide right on dusk.

So there you have it, my MotoGP 08 tour. Personally it was brilliant with all the challenges that it takes to be a touring motorcyclist; bring on next year!

Nice write up...thanks for sharing. That was an awesome race. Seeing it live must have been amazing. Definitely better weather than at Indy...
    Rossi is amazing to get 2nd place out of that one.
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Onya Mate

great write up there and sounds like you had as much fun as we did.
    Will try and catch up next year (have rented a house in Cowes - come round for a barbie and a bottle o' plonk).

Thanks Fixer and Ken.

It was a ball once again and so I'll just have to do it again next year

The race its self was a beauty and I was so glad that the weather choose the perfect timing to be clear. It really made Saturday and Sunday a real pleasure for all.

The events that our group experienced will make it one of the most memorable tours Iíve had, even if it was only about 2300kís.

Seeya

Just a couple more shots
    Last edited by djump; 10-11-2008 at 10:31 PM.

And here are a few more
    Last edited by djump; 10-11-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Last ones

apriliaforum newb
    Great report and photos.

We had a similarly great time riding from the Sunshine Coast.

Weather was great for the race, Victorian roads rule, even the cops seemed more lenient this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast