Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning Mana Owners!! Oil leaking out of crancase weep hole!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFoxUno View Post
    ...First, don't let them replace the water pump seal again - common sense tell me that since the fluid leaking is not coolant, the leak is not in the water pump. I did an examination of my bike while looking at all the pictures and sketches in the shop manual last night. I think we can all agree that the hole is a "tell tale" for a potential leak - I suspect that it is for the water pump seal - so why is oil coming out?...
    There are two seals on the water pump shaft. One for coolant and the other is an oil seal. If the oil seal leaks it leaks out the weep hole.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

apriliaforum Junkie SilverFoxUno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    There are two seals on the water pump shaft. One for coolant and the other is an oil seal. If the oil seal leaks it leaks out the weep hole.
    You're right! I found it on pg 308...the oil seal is replaced by spliting the cases. A 020663Y Water pump shaft oil seal punch is used to set the seal.
    Jim
    "That's not flying...that's falling with style!"

2008 NA850 Mana
    2003 VFR800 Intercepter

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Firstly i would just like to say that being from London UK im really grateful to all you guys in the US in taking the time to post your excellent contributions, it now makes sense to me that the cause could possibly be related to a failed oil pump seal and not the water pump seals as original thought, because what is coming out of the weep hole looks to be oil and not coolant (but not really sure what coolant looks like when it leaks)

Is replacing the oil seal a diffulcult job and will it require any special tools apart from the 020663Y Water pump shaft oil seal punch.

I need to go back to my dealer with this new information and im really surprised that the technical guys in aprilia UK did not suugest to the dealer to replace the oil seal as well!

Just to clarify Kzmille, if there was a failure of the water pump seal only, just coolant will leak out of the weep hole and on the flip side if there was a failure of the oil seal, just oil will leak out of the same weep hole.

The temporary catcher tube that is plugged in the weep hole is actually a clear tube and not a black tube as shown in the pic (i discovered this when i was washing my bike and the black coating was rubbing off), anyway this reveals in more detail what is leaking out of this weep hole, if one of you experts can identify for sure what this fluid is whether oil/coolant or mixture of both ,i will post the pics soon.

Many thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchmike View Post
    ...Just to clarify Kzmille, if there was a failure of the water pump seal only, just coolant will leak out of the weep hole and on the flip side if there was a failure of the oil seal, just oil will leak out of the same weep hole...
    That's right. There is narrow space between the water seal and the oil seal. the weep hole leads into this space. The idea being that if either one leaks, the fluid has somewhere to go without possibly being forced through the other and contaminating the other system.

Having never seen a Mana much less worked on one I don't know what is required to replace the seals.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi below is the pic of the temporary catcher tube my dealer fitted, that was shown before but now with the black coating rubbed of to give a better idea of the amount of leakage coming out of the weep hole, apologies for the stupid Q but is this definetely just oil that is leaking and not a mixture of coolant and oil, thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like oil to me.

apriliaforum Member
    Yesterday, I spoke with an Aprilia dealer who told me that that was the only problem he had with Mana sold.
    Oil leak.
    He told me that was "les bourrages moteur" "The stuffings engine"??

I don't know if that can help...

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi alfamoi, thanks for the reply but not sure what you mean by "les bourrages moteur" "The stuffings engine"??, what a strange thing for a dealer to say and that is the correct french to english translation!!

Are you saying this dealer had a problem with a Mana he sold was leaking oil as well the same way mine is, if so was anything done about it..sorry but totally confused by your post
    Last edited by mitchmike; 10-27-2008 at 01:01 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    Hello Mitchmike.
    Sorry for my poor English...
    I've search the web, but even in French, "bourrage" doesn't seem to be very used...
    But what is sure is, that this bourrage is a joint (he told me that this joint was like pinched at a place.)
    Ant the oil dripped under the motor. He doesn't spoke to me about the hole you speak about.
    If you want, I can try to know more (but now that he knows that I've ordered in an other garage )

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hello alfamoi, thanks for that it make a bit more sense, i wonder what joint he was referring to that was pinched (possibly weak seals), be great if you can get more info, but his right about this being the only problem with Mana being an oil leak that may effect a few bikes as this is the only problem ive had everything else is fine..
    Last edited by mitchmike; 10-27-2008 at 04:09 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    Hello MitchMike.
    I've received an answer of the sympathetic dealer I've spoke with, last time.
    He sent me this picture, and told me that the joint he has to change was the number 9.
    I hope this helps.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hello alfamoi, many thanks for the reply, that looks to the gasket ring, which is pretty serious as they need to spilt the crankcase to replace, doesent look to the same issue as mine which now looks to the oil pump seals.

I am still waiting from an official reponse from aprilia regarding a fix for my bike, its now been over 5 mths phoned them again but they just say they will get back to me but they dont!, im not sure what else i can do ,i may have to start seeking legal advice on this matter, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

apriliaforum Member
    Before to spend your time and your money in justice , You may try to write to the importer pushing the bad image of Italian product that they perpetuate, and tell them that if there is no quick reaction, You will reveal the whole story on forums, create a site and write to a consumers' association that You have in England...

apriliaforum newb
    Has anyone found an actual fix for this issue?
    What is that tube connected to?
    I also do not see the tube on the Shiver that was mentioned

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi there, nope 6 months and still no fix, this is still an open case with aprilia and they have yet to get back to me, i really dont know what to do about this nobody from aprilia is listening.

One end of the tube is connected to the weep hole and the other end i was told goes into the air box, and i reckon i was fobbed off saying the same connector is used on the shiver to collect leaking oil.

Im going to speak to my dealer again who are also at the mercy of aprilia coming up with a solution to this, i have to put this hold as i had other matters to deal but now im really pissed off , think i have been patient enough.

Sorry for the rant, but aprilia after service is shocking!!!..
    Last edited by mitchmike; 11-19-2008 at 01:27 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast