Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning Mana Owners!! Oil leaking out of crancase weep hole!!

apriliaforum prov-nov

Warning Mana Owners!! Oil leaking out of crancase weep hole!!

Hello, im appealing to all mana owners help with this.

I have had my bike from new around 4 months after the first month i was giving it a clean and i noticed oil has dripped on the underside of the crankcase.

I took it to the dealer who suspected it may of been a blown gasket so cleaned it up and took it for another ride checked again and noticed the oil was coming out of the water pump weep hole which is a small drilled hole next to the waterpump on the underside of the cranckcase.

The dealer suspected it may be oil leakiing out of the seal so all the water pump seals were replaced and still the same.

This has now been going on for 11 weeks and i have been to the dealers around 5 times and still no joy.

I am now speaking to the aprilia technical support team who recreated this problem on one of the test models and it was doing exactly the same ..leaking drops of oil!!..they also said this was the first time they have seen this happen and was not aware of it before.

The next day i get a call from them saying this was normal and there will be some oil leaking from the weep hole, they also said this also happens with the shiver but with that model they have incorporated some sort of catchment tubing which redristibutes the oil back into the engine.

I find it hard to beleive that this is meant to be normal!!, after each ride there are drops of oil leaking out and can even be dangerous as it will drip onto the floor than my back wheel will ride over the excess oil.

I am appealing to all mana owners to check this weep hole after a ride for signs of oil leaking, as the weep hole is right under the bike this may of not yet been noticed by some of you.

If no one else is reporting this problem than my bike is faulty and i am not happy to leave it like it is, and even now im not happy that oil should be leaking anyway even if it was designed to do this. I understood the water pump seals are designed to prevent leakage and the purpose of the weep hole was to warn you that there is a problem with the seals and water pump.

I would appeciate it if people could post there findings as this may be a potential problem for all mana owners.

Many Thanks
    Last edited by mitchmike; 09-11-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Interesting.

Some of the early oil filters had bad seams, and once we cleaned all the powdercoat chunks from the case side of the oil filer mount, the single drip I got every couple of days stopped. It hasn't dripped sense.

The filter challenge was something that showed up in an email from Aprilia.

apriliaforum Member
    I just had a look on my Mana and found the hole you mention, but no signs of any oil leakage. My bike has now done 5500 miles and booked in for its 6000 mile service in just over a weeks time.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hello Thanks for the responses so far, i think this may be just related to my bike but would need more people to confirm there not having the same issue, so would greatly appreciate some responses, just to give you an idea of the oil leak i see after every ride i have attached a pic, this is what aprilia deem as normal leakage for this bike!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mitchmike; 09-11-2008 at 02:52 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Mitch,

I have just noticed the same exact oil leakage from my Mana. My mana has exactly 100 mile on it. Like you said, it started to leak after each ride. What can we do about it?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hello There

Im very angry about this as the oil leak is gradually getting worse and now i have a small puddle of oil on the floor each time i ride it.

The regional manager for Aprilia UK has visited my dealer and has carried out further investigations regarding this matter and has taken phototgraphs on one of the guys mana who works for the dealer whos bike is also leaking !

From the initial investigations it looks to be a design fault where the seal looks to be spinning under high pressure allowing oil to seap through.

Im not sure what there going to do about it long term but im really not happy with this bike leaking all the time.My dealer has been fantastic and has tried 4 times to replace the seals and they have also had to wait for Aprilia to send them the correct tools to remove and replace the seal.Even with the correct tools there were unable to fix it, which is not there fault it is the fault of the manufacturer and its down to them to recall the bike for a permenant solution.

Im bringing my bike back to the dealers who will try to add a tube which will collect the oil and drain it where it does not leak through the weep hole and onto the floor.I have no idea how they are going to achieve this, apparently the shiver has a similar set up but to me this is just putting a plaster on the wound it wont heal it.I feel im just being fobbed with this fix but what else can i do its gone as far as the regional manager, appreciate any advice from any other Aprilia owners who have had similar issues.

Aprilia bikes are great but the seals for the water pump are rubbish and i find it incredible that still they cannot manufacture a bike that does not leak oil.

I would strongly recommend that you lodge a complaint to Aprilia customer services, this is the only way they will take any notice.

Im very surprised that more people are not having the same issue, maybe its only a matter of time for when the water pump seals fail.

Ill let you know how i get on with the dealer in the meantime

apriliaforum newb
    Based on what you've said, I guess it doesn't really matter if I do bring it to an Aprilia dealer near me to have a look. I only have 100 mile on it. I will try to put some more miles on it and see what happen then. If it does gradually getting worse like you've said, I will bring it to one of the aprilia dealer near me and also put in a complaint to Aprilia customer services.

By the way, did you have to pay for any of the work the dealer did on your bike? Was it all covered under warranty?

Thanks,

apriliaforum Junkie SilverFoxUno's Avatar
    I have looked for this hole on my Mana with no luck finding it. Where is it located? I have about 1000 miles on mine with no evidence of oil leaking.
    Jim
    "That's not flying...that's falling with style!"

2008 NA850 Mana
    2003 VFR800 Intercepter

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hello, in response to Vlehca all the work ie, replacement of water pump seals is done under warranty, interestly and what i havent mentioned before is that the water pump as a whole unit is built into the crankcase and cannot be replaced as a whole unit, im not an expert or a mechanic but it may be possible that the hole for the seals were machined slightly too big for the seals so this could be the problem,dont know.

In response to SilverFoxUno, to see the weep hole you need to lie flat on your back under the bike and its the side where the water pump is and the weep hole is on the underside of the crankcase.

You need to check this hole after you have taken it for a good ride, good idea to get a torch and just watch this hole for a couple of minutes for any oil to leak out, if its a slight leak it will take a bit of time to drip though to the weep hole.
    Last edited by mitchmike; 10-07-2008 at 02:55 PM.

SAFit07
    I had just taken it in for her 1st service last week. With just over 800 miles now, I'd noticed a couple of "drops" on the shop floor @ work and in the driveway after work today. Just as mentioned earlier, right after usage...a couple of drops. Is this from the tranny????

I'm sure it's the seal inside the water pump. Similar happened to some of the Rotax, but few and far between.

If this problem is this consistant, I say recall.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I picked up my bike from my dealer who have devised there own workaround as a temporary solution.

They have basically inserted a thin drainage tube that comes out of the weep hole and will redistribute the oil back into the engine, this is by no means stopping the oil leak but at least it will not drip all over the floor and under my crankcase. (i will update with a picture soon).My dealer said this tubing was very similar for the shiver bikes so would be interested if any one can confirm this or can upload a pic so i can compare.

My dealer has been brilliant in trying to help with this, but to echo what Fox Fader has already mentioned that this problem is gradually becoming more consistant with other mana owners and its down to aprilia to seriously start thinking about issuing a "recall" for a permanent fix on those bikes effected.

My dealer has told me there is an open case for my bike with the manufacturer, so im hoping a permanent solution will be found soon, but this issue will only be accelerated by aprilia if more people expressed there concerns with there dealers and aprilia customer services as my lone voice will not be enough, so please mana owners keep a close eye out for this on your bike and update this post and let aprilia know so we can get this sorted.
    Last edited by mitchmike; 10-12-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchmike View Post
    I am now speaking to the aprilia technical support team who recreated this problem on one of the test models and it was doing exactly the same ..leaking drops of oil!!..they also said this was the first time they have seen this happen and was not aware of it before.
    They "recreated" it, and it was doing the same thing? You can't recreate anything unless you know what's causing it. If that's what you were told, it was a euphemism for "it also happened to us on one of our test bikes, but we don't know at this point what's causing it."
    The next day i get a call from them saying this was normal and there will be some oil leaking from the weep hole, they also said this also happens with the shiver but with that model they have incorporated some sort of catchment tubing which redristibutes the oil back into the engine.
    So first they say, essentially, it happened on a test bike here, but we've never seen or heard of it before. Now all of a sudden the next day, it's a normal condition...on two different models? Neither of those folks should be permitted to talk to customers till they get some more training in "corporate speak." Talking out of both sides of the corporate mouth and determining something like this normal can kill sales of both models before they even get off the ground - thanks in part to the Internet.

I find it hard to beleive that this is meant to be normal!!, ...
    It's not normal for properly designed parts, installed correctly, and in good condition. So one of those three things isn't true. That weep hole is more properly termed a witness hole. It's in a space between the seal designed to prevent coolant loss and the seal preventing engine oil loss. It's function is exactly what you stated - to alert to failure of either seal, but also to help prevent oil from getting into the coolant and vice versa. Running a catch tube back into the engine as a permanent solution would defeat both functions - they may as well close the hole with JB Weld, and hope the coolant seal never fails. That's essentially what they're doing with a catch tube back into the engine. Because if the carbon seal ever does fail, coolant will be recycled into the crankcase along with the seeping oil, and you're unlikely to notice it until the oil turns a milky color. Coolant does bad things quickly to plain shell bearings.
    I would appeciate it if people could post there findings as this may be a potential problem for all mana owners.
    Many Thanks
    It won't become a "problem" if it's classified as a normal condition. My hope is that Aprilia will be all over this thing like white on rice till they get it resolved, and that they refrain from inflaming owners by making conflicting, inane statements.

Stu

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Many thanks for your comments Stu, like you said there has been a lot of inane conflicting comments from the guys in Aprilia Technical support and customer services and like you i suspect neither have had the technical training in the bike prior to its UK release.

Im not impressed that i paid 6500 at the time of purchase to be fobbed off from aprilia technical support that this leakage is deemed as a normal condition, no bike should drip this amount of oil after each short ride and this has been happenning for 4 months from new!

And i take on board your comments about the function of the weep hole, and NO im not happy with this temporary fix and i will not accept it as a permanent solution, but after 5 visits to my dealer, 4 phone calls to aprilia customer services and 3 calls to the UK aprilia technical team and still no resolution im gratefull my dealer is trying to do something if not save me from an accident with oil all over my back tyre.

Im looking to this forum to drum up support for my case and to warn other aprilia owners and if that kill sales of the mana, thats not my fault, i love the bike but this whole experience and the way my complaint has been dealt with has just killed it for me, however like you i hope aprilia will find a solution to this and im sure they will, its just frustrating that it taking a lot of time and effort.

It would of been nice if someone from aprilia customer services would call me back and say this is being looked into and it will be resolved and i feel the only way ill be taken seriously if more people would start putting pressure on them. hence this post.
    Last edited by mitchmike; 10-14-2008 at 05:15 AM.

SAFit07
    I really should post pics of what I've found. Not so much a "drip" from the weep hole but a "dampness" around the gasket that splits the case at the very bottom of the bike. I'm embarrassed, I don't know the exact part I'm trying to describe. But basically, if looking at the bottom of the bike from the ground up, it splits the bike literally in half. The texture of the fluid is hard to guess. It seems a combination of oil & coolant?

Oh well, a good one for the AF1 crew to look at since it was the first MANA sold from there.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast