Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Will Be Installing a Different Carb in my Scarabeo (2001) 150

apriliaforum expert
    purge valve maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by cr7198 View Post
    Metafly,
    I watch your project with great interest. I may have to do the same with my wife's scoot (same as yours). I like working on bikes but didn't want to work on my wife's so I took it a dealer 100m away. A large Aprilia dealer in Minneapolis. After 2 months and 35 hrs of labor (only charged for 3) they called me and gave up. They couldn't get it to run. They said they replaced a cracked slide (all though a large corner was missing when they gave it to me), petcock diaghram, fuel pump, etc, etc. They weren't very helpful when I tried quizzing them of what exactly they did. So I brought it home, did a few minor things, in short, got it to run. Hard starting when cold, takes 15-20 sec. but once started and shut off is easily started again........until the next morning and same old thing. Runs (poorly) at slow speeds will miss/sputter. Runs good at high speeds, will do 70. I ordered a new bystarter (auto choke) crap..... that was expensive, but if it is wearing out it may not have full movement. in or out which could be causing my problems. I also noted after I ran it the carb was "wet" with gas. not dripping but just kind of wet, also a few drops of gas came out the overflow tube on to the ground. Plug was also black. When I get the new part I well pull the carb apart and check every thing they did. If it still has problems I will do a compression and leak-down test. I would think with so many hours into it that they did this, but.......ya never no for sure. If this passes its on to a new carb like yours. Have you thought about putting in a electric fuel pump and dumping the vacuum operated one? Also what is that round vacuum operated thing next to the fuel pump?
    Thanks for your hard work
    Jay

Jay, thank you for the nice words. Sounds like we have a similar bird. This problem has been with this bike since new. I know the owner. I just want it to be reliable and responsive without chasing expensive, hard to find parts.

After all of the R & D, I think the easiest path will be buying a gy6 throttle grip, gy6 26mm (or so) carburetor, and gy6 throttle cable. That way you will be able to keep the bike stock but be able to replace the fuel system very easily at any scooter place at a reasonable price. Being the cheap bastard I am, I thought I would try to fab it up. While I can get it working that way, in the end, I will be using a gy6 throttle, cable, and carb set-up in its entirety.

I have a Gy6 "performance" throttle grip/cam and a new cable on the way. I will be posting my next results shortly. They are available all over Google, some at the local Honda dealer, and some on evilbay (GY6 is a Honda designed motor).

Again, once I go through all of this, I will post a comprehensive thread on the how to for those interested. In the meantime, please feel free to PM for whatever reason.

I have been so busy lately, I haven't had that much time to play with the Beo 150. However, I am getting close. I am very optimistic. The scoot fires right up with the new carburetor. I installed the new throttle yesterday, put most of the body work back on and took it for a ride. It chokes out on full throttle. My sense is that the auto choke is not activating (closing). I will see if the element gets hot after 10 minutes. I will look into that today (day off). Some splicing may be in order. While you never know, I should have the scoot running today (if I can figure out the WOT bogging issue) and will post pics plus results later. Michael

Success! Scooter runs awesome. Had the previous owner drive it and he said it is as good as new (I had no point of reference). Turns out the bogging was a twisted air hose. Below find some pictures of the progress, etc.

Here are the parts needed:
    Mikuni Carburetor $90 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=360083339139
    Cable $23 http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web...ped_Cables.htm
    MRP Throttle $30: http://www.scooterdomain.com/product_p/n-mp-08115b.htm
    7/8 Pro Taper grips $9

Total $152

If you are having problems with your carburetor and want to convert to something that is cheaper with ease of replacement, this is a good way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

1 more: Michael

Scooter is running great. Water temps are a little high (I already drained). There is definitely air in the system. Tomorrow I will take off the front cover again and double check everything while I bleed the cooling system. Below is a picture (manual) of the bleeder screw.

Next, fix speedo and front shimmy in the steering system. I will be ordering a new speedo drive and cable. While I am in there (front wheel) I will check and replace wheel bearings. While I had the inside front shield off, I should have adjusted the steering bearings. I will do that when I do the wheel/speedo stuff. Otherwise, all the fluids are fresh.

Michael
    Last edited by Metafly; 10-10-2008 at 10:25 PM.

UPDATE: I have been riding the scooter everyday for about three weeks now. The scooter runs great. I took it out for a top speed run today (see GPS pic below). I weigh 280 lbs and was in a semi-tuck position on a flat piece of highway at 76 degrees F (SoCal beyotch!). I got it to a steady 61-63MPH with an honest 62.7 top speed. I think this fix is a keeper. I also updated the throttle/throttle grip for a little bling and a better fit. It is called a Sik50s throttle (see pic below) Cruddy mirrors are next to go:
    Last edited by Metafly; 10-29-2008 at 05:55 PM.

mikuni

thanks to these posts, my 2003 150 beo is running better than ever with the same conversion. at the carb/rubber intake junction i cut a small section of rubber bicycle inner tube to take up a small difference in size for a good seal. had it going 75mph, 1 am 142lbs. may well go a little faster. thanks metafly.

Fantastic!!!!! Turbohog, did you glue the rubber tubing in or just pressure fit it? Either way, an excellent suggestion that I will add the next time I am in there. Michael
    Michael
    SoCal
    Black 2001 Aprilia Scarabeo 150

your dash add on

What brand of Gps is that? How is it hooked up and powered. Looks very comprehensive.

Thanks,

SP56

apriliaforum expert
    Ok one question The Gy6 Handgrip can it be had With a More right angle on the cable exit so it doesnt Hang soo low ?? That would worry the sheit outta me

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw56 View Post
    What brand of Gps is that? How is it hooked up and powered. Looks very comprehensive.

Thanks,

SP56
    It is the first Garmin Streetpilot (about 10 years old). It is more complicated than comprehensive, but it is good for off-roading and speedo checks. As a street navigator, it is much easier to just use a map. I have logged lots of off-road miles with it (in my Jeep), and it is built like a tank if nothing else.

In the photo, it is battery operated and just suction cupped to the windscreen.
    Michael
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by tomd View Post
    Ok one question The Gy6 Handgrip can it be had With a More right angle on the cable exit so it doesnt Hang soo low ?? That would worry the sheit outta me
    They have 0, 30, 60, 90 degree bend cables all over the interweb. You could also use the stock grip if you want to have a custom cable made with the ends from the stock cables.
    Michael
    SoCal

bicycle inner tube

just stretched it over the carb outlet, cut to size(about 1 inch). you can do that on throttle grips also, to cover old ones or thicken up ones that may be too thin for your liking.

apriliaforum newb
    I know this is an old thread and hopefully some of you guys are still around. I have an 01 Beo 150 and I too have the dreaded bog issue. I have tried everything, changed the pilot and main jets, went up to a 40, back to 38, down to 35, went to 107.5 on the main jet, down to 102.5 and all combinations still left me bogging. One thing I did discover is that when I plug the upper fuel overflow/vent to atmosphere, the thing runs like a champ but it's pressurizing the float bowl and can't be left plugged or the carb will puke fuel. I also isolated the vacum system from the emissions crap nothing worked. Same bog until the bike is warm.

I know the Keihin CVK26 is a venturi system and basically the throttle opens a butterfly which allows air to be sucked into the carb, the vacuum that is suppose to then raise the slide. My guess is that this vacuum is not taking place for some reason when it's cold. I attribute that possibly to the bystarter, why else would the temperature effect the bog?

If anyone has solved this mystery in the past 4 years please let me know. I would also like to know exactly what model Mikuni 26mm was used in the fix posted in this thread. The Ebay post is obviously gone since it was 2008. I did replace the slide with a new one because the diaphram had small hole in it, now I wish I had spent that money on a new carb.

Anyway if anyone knows what is causing this issue please help me out. The carb has been cleaned 10 times, dunked, soaked, scrubbed and blown, new seals, etc. I have also checked the fuel pump, fuel valve, etc. No lines are pinched, good gas, new plug (gas fouled always) I know it's rich but it's because it's not getting enough air for some reason. Adjusted the float level up down and still no help.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast