Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Will Be Installing a Different Carb in my Scarabeo (2001) 150

+ UPDATE w/Top Speed+ I Will Be Installing a Different Carb in my Scarabeo (2001) 150

This one to be exact: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=360083339139

With a broken slide and leaky from all sides and some basic dimensional understanding of the existing carb, I have decided to install the above carburetor (Mikuni 26mm flatside for GY6 motor). My decision mainly came down relative costs associated with a rebuild and my limited abilities with carburetors in general. Also, given the history of the bike, it was time for some drastic change in the hope of a reliable cost, effective alternative to the Keihin CVK26. It was mailed today and I should have it in the next day or two. I will post results once I get it in and presumably, running. Michael
    Last edited by Metafly; 10-29-2008 at 05:15 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    me thinks the cables are going to be an issue looks like the cable mount circle is smaller you mite have enuff adjustment to remove the slack . if not the job will be way more difficult than a simple carb rebuild dropping in a slide and a bowl gasket is very simple . i understand the 72 $ part also..it also look like a smaller throttle plate it would be larger we want 28/30 etc should take bout 40 min to slip it on i just did this last week pics on list .. im not understanding leaky from all sides ? i ll take ur old carb pieces e mail me tombukt2@gmail.com

apriliaforum expert
    Interesting....keep us posted for sure.

If it works OK and you want to sell off your old one I've been looking for one to play with and experiment on.

Just thinking.

Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by tomd View Post
    me thinks the cables are going to be an issue looks like the cable mount circle is smaller you mite have enuff adjustment to remove the slack . if not the job will be way more difficult than a simple carb rebuild dropping in a slide and a bowl gasket is very simple . i understand the 72 $ part also..it also look like a smaller throttle plate it would be larger we want 28/30 etc should take bout 40 min to slip it on i just did this last week pics on list .. im not understanding leaky from all sides ? i ll take ur old carb pieces e mail me tombukt2@gmail.com
    The differences in the carbs seem minimal and I will not know until I try. I am not sure what I am doing with the Keihin. For right now, rebuilding it is plan b. This bike has had a lot of no start issues over the years and I feel like trying something new. FYI, the exterior dimensions are the same, the inner dimensions on the Mikuni are 1/2 mm different, at least for my year Scarabeo. I am not sure of the dimensions of the airbox side, but I figure I can always mount a foam cone filter from the dirt bike store. I sincerely hope it works but I will post my results either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Interesting....keep us posted for sure.

If it works OK and you want to sell off your old one I've been looking for one to play with and experiment on.

Just thinking.

Vernon
    I will definitely keep everybody posted. Michael
    Last edited by Metafly; 09-09-2008 at 05:20 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    How about the choke/enrichment process for cold starts on the "new" carb??

Does it have a cable to operate, or a lever, or is an electric "auto choke" of some sort?

Vernon

It has an electric choke like the CVK26. The housing is of the same type and the wiring looks similar. Obviously, some splicing might be in order but I just don't know. I am going out of town tomorrow but should have it by my return on Saturday. I will definitely post some pics. In fact, I am 100 percent sure I will have questions about fuel routing. Michael

Below find pictures of the carb in greater detail from the seller's site:
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Metafly; 09-09-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Pictures Added

apriliaforum expert
    An electric choke would sure seem to simplify things.....hopefully.

Vernon

apriliaforum expert
    anyway thats one of the mikuni i saw a last time we were talkin bout this me thinks they also make it larger have to look at the chart n see about a 30 would be nice with an opened up exhaust and port match /cleanup

TEASER ALERT! UPDATE w/Pics

Well, below please find some pictures of the (hopefully) replacement carb.

I have test fitted the carb. However, I have not installed it yet, but here are my progress notes:

Air intake side is very close in size if not the same. Motor side is a tad bit smaller OD and a tad bit ID smaller than the stock Keihin.

Auto choke electrical plug fits perfectly, no splicing necessary.

Throttle cable is too short. Theory: I have decided to splice about 1.5 inches (plus extra) on to the end of the stock throttle cable. I will be cutting off the stop end of the cable and splicing it with galvanized steel aircraft wire and an appropriate butt connector. I will measure and stop it off with a vice grip before I crimp and cut any wire off. Below find pictures of the $1.76 in parts that I believe will be a decent solution. A more permanent, longer solution will be required but I will provide that information so someone can order one once the final measurements are in. I will certainly have a more permanent solution in myself as soon as I can get that organized. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN FITMENT AND SAFETY!

After a trip to a M/C shop, a bicycle shop and finally a hardware store, the local hardware store had what I thought I needed. It is recommended to use cable crimpers, for the connectors, but the hardware guy said I can use snips if I use them to apply steady pressure not to cut, but to crimp. Otherwise, I will be buying a cable crimper of which I already own but don't know where it is.

I definitely need some help with fuel line routing and will be posting some pics to get some help with the routing as well tomorrow. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I will be tackling this tomorrow sometime. More info to follow. Michael

Jerry-rig FAIL! I have ordered a GY6 cable that I am hoping will do the trick. It was mailed today and I hope it will be here before the weekend.

QUESTION: Can I fish the new cable through by using the old cable? Do I have to take off any body work? If so, any how-to's on throttle cable replacement. Thanks. Michael

apriliaforum expert
    you should be able to apply fresh wound cable to existing sheath (plastic)casing. Id have prollyy tried moving the gold actuating circle that cables attach to yes it have to be unwelded then welded back on but eh what the heck..you may need a new gas hand twist mechanism to single cable open /close heavier return spring in grip portion not sure but me thinks sooo

Tom, do you have any instructions on how to remove and replace cable? I am not sure what you are talking about welded material, but it sounds important. Maybe you can explain in a little more detail.

Also, if I understand correctly, you don't think the throttle will be sufficient given it has a return cable? Should I order a GY6 throttle? Will it fit on the Beo you think? Michael

I ordered the longest GY6 throttle cable (90mm/I think our cable is 71mm). I would definitely get a shorter one next time but I figured I would err on the side of too much and am too lazy to return this and wait for another. I test fitted the throttle/throttle/cable/carb today. I think the stock throttle grip and body will be just fine. Without bolting it up, I was able to smoothly operate the throttle body on the carb with just a mocked up hand grip. I figured out how to get the throttle body off of the handle bar (it wasn't terribly tricky). It is 7 allen heads of varying sizes between 4 and 5mm. I will post pics tomorrow when I go back at it tomorrow. I tried tugging on the throttle cable to see if I could pull one through and it was very resistant. I think I will have to take off some bodywork/faring. I hope I can figure out the minimal body work to take off. I hate it. I hope to figure it out tomorrow. I will take some pics as promised. Michael

Success! Well, almost. I am so close, I can taste it.

I don't think I had the best point of reference with the scoot as it was. However, the bike started with the Mikuni and ran much better than with the old carb (when I had it running with the Kehein). I have to order another cable (f'd this one up with all of the trial and error) and put the bike back together, but it runs great and starts right up. Below please find some of the photos of the work in progress. Once I get it running just so and back together, I will put together a how to for those interested. Michael

apriliaforum newb
    Metafly,
    I watch your project with great interest. I may have to do the same with my wife's scoot (same as yours). I like working on bikes but didn't want to work on my wife's so I took it a dealer 100m away. A large Aprilia dealer in Minneapolis. After 2 months and 35 hrs of labor (only charged for 3) they called me and gave up. They couldn't get it to run. They said they replaced a cracked slide (all though a large corner was missing when they gave it to me), petcock diaghram, fuel pump, etc, etc. They weren't very helpful when I tried quizzing them of what exactly they did. So I brought it home, did a few minor things, in short, got it to run. Hard starting when cold, takes 15-20 sec. but once started and shut off is easily started again........until the next morning and same old thing. Runs (poorly) at slow speeds will miss/sputter. Runs good at high speeds, will do 70. I ordered a new bystarter (auto choke) crap..... that was expensive, but if it is wearing out it may not have full movement. in or out which could be causing my problems. I also noted after I ran it the carb was "wet" with gas. not dripping but just kind of wet, also a few drops of gas came out the overflow tube on to the ground. Plug was also black. When I get the new part I well pull the carb apart and check every thing they did. If it still has problems I will do a compression and leak-down test. I would think with so many hours into it that they did this, but.......ya never no for sure. If this passes its on to a new carb like yours. Have you thought about putting in a electric fuel pump and dumping the vacuum operated one? Also what is that round vacuum operated thing next to the fuel pump?
    Thanks for your hard work
    Jay

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast