Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

AHH NO WORRIES Noel! We're all here to help each other out....speaking of that!

MY LEFT HAND owes you quite a bit as my CLUTCH PULL is WAAAAAAY EEEEEEAASIER after installing your recommended clutch jet over 2-3 years ago!!!

Post some pics of that MV my man!

HFRITZ - Will do Fritz and I'll send Amanda a note tomorrow. Maybe I can get another freeebie!
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2014 Harley Road King Classic
    2012 Honda VFR1200F
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) on Misano MotoXP Ricambi race bodywork - Drop dead gorgeous!
    SOLD to Brian - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

NOEL, you should know that on Sunday Nov 22nd I had a trackday and it ran great. The problem became apparent to me on Tuesday November 24th.

When the original problem surfaced on December 2007, I ALSO had a trackday prior to discovering the issue.

DO YOU think there's a possibility of NOT having enough oil to cool the stators? Do you think over time that the oil passageway become blocked or reduced in size due to junk debris? Thus explains why the left hand engine case is the 2nd hottest part on the bike. Your thoughts?

IS IT possible to increase the size of that passageway to allow more oil to come through that area?
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) on Misano MotoXP Ricambi race bodywork - Drop dead gorgeous!
    SOLD to Brian - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

apriliaforum Member
    anyone think there is a way this could be a safety hazard and reported to the nhtsa for corrective action?
    Helmut Fritz

you into PC gaming?
    http://www.rlgaming.com/phpBB/

'07 RSV1000R

Argh.... My stator just took a dump too. Not fun hearing the bike start running a bit rough, sputtering, then having the little warning light start flashing. Had a Ricks version one rotor, and got about 3,500 out of it. I guess I'llbe calling for a version two.
    2004 RSVR Factory Black Sebimoto Race Bodywork, TIG Titanium Exhaust (Black Powder Coated Cans), Sato Rear Sets, Gilles Variobars, Pazzo Levers, CRG Mirror, Puig Double Bubble

09 KTM SuperDuke 990R bone stock, but not for long...

Ok I just wrote a SHIT LOAD of info for you all about my new cycle electric reg/rec and the install and experiences. Sorry but I am too pissed off that my computer shutdown just before I finished o re-write it all....just a summary:

The short of it all this is that it is fantastic, cool (temp wise) and voltages are up to 14.7v all the time. the wires don't get warm even on the hottest day.

I don't expect that it will ever fail again.

there are some pics here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lachy_b...321948/detail/

I'll update if there are any issues but I can't see there being any at this stage.

to give you an idea, I ran the bike in my hot garage on a HOT summer day for about 20min with no breeze and the regulator which was sitting 10mm from the radiator never got anywhere near too hot to hold in the palm.

the part number is CE-603 and I bought from JP cycles. it is designed for a Harley and is about 1kg....3 times heavier than the OEM one...needed extra bracing as you can see. but it is well made.

hopefully the power I gain from not loading the stator up 100% all the time will make up for the massive weight of this thing. LOL :-)

contact me if you have any questions about the install.....and no comments please on the tidyness of the install, I was in a hurry and there as not much there to mount extra bracing for the huge regulator.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by rws06rsv View Post
    Ok I just wrote a SHIT LOAD of info for you all about my new cycle electric reg/rec and the install and experiences. Sorry but I am too pissed off that my computer shutdown just before I finished o re-write it all....just a summary:

The short of it all this is that it is fantastic, cool (temp wise) and voltages are up to 14.7v all the time. the wires don't get warm even on the hottest day.

I'll update if there are any issues but I can't see there being any at this stage.

to give you an idea, I ran the bike in my hot garage on a HOT summer day for about 20min with no breeze and the regulator which was sitting 10mm from the radiator never got anywhere near too hot to hold in the palm.

the part number is CE-603 and I bought from JP cycles. it is designed for a Harley and is about 1kg....3 times heavier than the OEM one...needed extra bracing as you can see. but it is well made.

hopefully the power I gain from not loading the stator up 100% all the time will make up for the massive weight of this thing. LOL :-)

contact me if you have any questions about the install.....and no comments please on the tidyness of the install, I was in a hurry and there as not much there to mount extra bracing for the huge regulator.

cheers!

Congrats on the great work! Please keep us posted on your progress.

1. Question - Do you have an aftermarket OR stock stator installed?
    2. After running the bike for a period of time, ARE YOU ABLE to touch the left side case / stator cover? Is it cooler?
    Thanks and please let us know.
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F

Quote Originally Posted by rws06rsv View Post

cheers!
    Awsome!!
    Please keep us updated!
    WERA Novice #425(before I deployed, now I'm a bench warmer)

God and the Soldier, we adore,
    In time of danger, not before.
    The danger passed and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted.
    ~Rudyard Kipling

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom

In the post that I lost I explained that about 4 months ago the stock stator died, I replaced it with a Ricks but was not willing to wait till that died also. Wires still got hot and I had a feeling that there was a problem developing, sometimes the voltage on the dash was low in really hot slow traffic. so I may still get a problem down the line with this stator but I recon that since it is never going to get nearly as hot it may never happen again.

I did measure it once before with a IR thermometer but I can't remember how much hotter it was, it was significant. Can you really tell the difference with your hand?

Does anyone know what current our bikes are rated at? And/or the wattage of the stator?

???
    Double Bubble Dark Smoke
    Brembo Billet 16 x 18 Clutch Master

The shop and owners rate the alternator at 500 watts.

current

tdogg;
    well, the main fuses are 30 amp ones ......

Noel-theknurl
    Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
    I'm not PC either

email/PayPal theknurl@yahoo.com
    Skype theknurl
    ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey Guys

Based on what RSW did, I went ahead and checked out JP Cycle to see what they had to say about that reg/rec...Check out the link below:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/382-711

What i found interesting was the following:

Can be used with any 3-phase stator
    • Blocks current to control voltage which reduces stator current resulting in lower temperature and less drag on the motor and more efficient operation
    • The largest and most noticeable benefit is a smoother charge to the battery which means less battery maintenance and longer battery life
    • Capable of handling overloads and continuous operation

"Blocks current to control voltage...results in lower stator temp"!!

Damn, I really hope this is the final solution. Can we get an update to see if the stator is actually cool or cooler to the touch?

Im eager to hear the results!

I will try to have a look at this tomorrow if I'm not too busy.

A note on the new Regulator: I tried to pull it apart so that I could replace that behemoth of a heatsink with something thinner and not powder coated so I could put it in the same place as the original and not have to brace the fairing.....well, the bastard is resin filled....so I left it as is. I suppose they feel there is not rocket science in there that they with to protect so they make it difficult to get into.....it would also protect the unit from weather too of course. Could also re-locate it near the battery too I suppose....

Later.

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    Hey Guys

Based on what RSW did, I went ahead and checked out JP Cycle to see what they had to say about that reg/rec...Check out the link below:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/382-711

What i found interesting was the following:

Can be used with any 3-phase stator
    Blocks current to control voltage which reduces stator current resulting in lower temperature and less drag on the motor and more efficient operation
    The largest and most noticeable benefit is a smoother charge to the battery which means less battery maintenance and longer battery life
    Capable of handling overloads and continuous operation

"Blocks current to control voltage...results in lower stator temp"!!

Damn, I really hope this is the final solution. Can we get an update to see if the stator is actually cool or cooler to the touch?

Im eager to hear the results!

Isn't this what the stock rectumfryer already does?
    'Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticise them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.'

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by mini_me View Post
    Isn't this what the stock rectumfryer already does?
    No. The stock rectifier continues to draw current when the battery is fully charged. Then it takes that current and grounds it out. At high rpm, full current is flowing through the stator and to the rectifier to be grounded out. The high current in the stator creates heat in the stator. This new rectifier increases the resistance in the circuit as the battery voltage rises.As the resistance increases, the current flow in the stator decreases. The lower current flow in the stator reduces heat.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast