Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

My sincere apologies - FALSE ALARM

I made a mistake everyone and left the 3 yellow wires exposed when I performed some maintenance from a couple of weeks ago. It took awhile but the exposed wires made contact with each and as a result, caused the bike to not charge.

MY MISTAKE COMPLETELY and there is nothing wrong with my stator. There is however something wrong with the owner and will need to pay better attention to details in the future.

Sorry again all.

Just to confirm - my bike is running fine and it charges at idle and at speed.
    Last edited by Reubens32; 10-18-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: I left some other details again
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2014 Harley Road King Classic
    2012 Honda VFR1200F
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) on Misano MotoXP Ricambi race bodywork - Drop dead gorgeous!
    SOLD to Brian - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

Mileage Update

10,025 Miles - No issues to report.

Voltage #'s

1. Idle - 14.0
    2. At speed - 14.2

2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F
    2010 RSV4 Factory (France's ex) on Misano MotoXP Ricambi race bodywork - Drop dead gorgeous!
    SOLD to Brian - 2004 RSV1060R Red & Silver, Ohlins 30mm Cartridge, Ohlins rear w/ Forged Wheels. Amauri built & maintained.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey R32,

I meant to ask you...Did you buy Ricks Voltage regulator as well? Or just the stator? I know he sells a replacement regulator also. Just curious...thanks for the update buddy,

Im glad you are keeping us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    Hey R32,

Did you buy Ricks Voltage regulator as well? Or just the stator?
    You're right. I purchased the Regulator as well. It wasn't necessary however as the stock unit was just fine and it still is.

2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have installed a Version 2 stator from Rick's and followed that with the purchase of a replacement regulator. While riding Sunday I checked my voltage at the dash and was getting low elevens and so headed for home quickly.

The stator seemed to check OK, but the regulator failed testing according to the Electrex diagnostic flowchart. I have sent the regulator back to Rick's for evaluation. Total mileage on the regulator is 450.

apriliaforum Member
    i have put a few hundred miles on my bike and all seems good. the R/R checked out o.k.

Rick's had nothing to really say about the failure of the previous stator. just a bunch of mumbo jumbo about modern bikes:

I talked to Rick and this is what he had to say: We increased the voltage by changing the delta design to a "Y" wind. And we increased the size of the wire to help handle the extra voltage and current. The stator, when it's generating, creates a lot of heat. Most engines are designed for a method of oil cooling inside the stator cover. Rick is not familiar with what type of oil cooling system the Mille has, if any. Also, outside ambient temperature can affect the overall heat that the bike has to endure.
    Perhaps you were riding in the summer when it temps were really high in Cali.

All of these factors may have contributed to a shortened life to your specific stator, but we are not positive.

I have no idea how they think changing to a wye design would increase the voltage. does not make sense to me. matter of fact, with less widings due to thicker wire the voltage should drop.
    Helmut Fritz

you into PC gaming?
    http://www.rlgaming.com/phpBB/

'07 RSV1000R

stators and rotors

Helmut;

the 1st bike that i know that has the same stator is the 1982 VFR 1000F Honda

the 1st generation Milles had NO trouble with the same stator
    then Denso sold Aprilia the new rotor with TOO MUCH MAGNETISM

it over heats the stator and burns your oil

does any one have a cooling system on their car's alternator????
    its just a GARBAGE way of making electricty.....and Aprilia has made no effort to fix it!

Rick's explanation....???

Noel-theknurl

apriliaforum Member
    Noel,
    yes, too powerful a magnet will create too much voltage. now if you have higher voltage you would require less amperage to generate the same wattage. also smaller wires would be o.k.

so now we have beefed up the size of the wires/windings (with Rick's V2 stator) and therefore decreased the voltage which then increases the amperage (requiring larger wires anyway) to maintain the same wattage out of the R/R.

i am wonderinf if going opposite would not help? smaller wires/windings, higher voltage, lower amperage required for same wattage at R/R. the question is how high of a voltage can the R/R handle before burning out the diodes?
    Helmut Fritz

you into PC gaming?

'07 RSV1000R

heat

Helmut;
    i watched my rotor, on the test bench at ElectroSport, start the insulation on a brand new smoking and turn from blue to brown....in 20 seconds!

the problem is the rotor it reads almost 2600 Gausses, i've been told that you only need 1200 Gausses or so to produce the listed output of the alternator

between 1st and 2nd generation Milles only the rotor changed!

the Big 4 had the same problem....but they DID something about it.....and speak Japanese too

Noel-theknurl

apriliaforum Member
    so is the rotor also windings, or is it a magnet?

my guess is the older rotor will not fit our bikes?
    Helmut Fritz

you into PC gaming?

'07 RSV1000R

rotors

magnets.....we can't use the old rotors, they don't have the missing tooth trigger that our ECU needs

Noel-theknurl

too bad you can't add that on.
    WERA Novice #425(before I deployed, now I'm a bench warmer)

God and the Soldier, we adore,
    In time of danger, not before.
    The danger passed and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted.
    ~Rudyard Kipling

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom

Not False Alarm

As the title says...NOT false alarm from a month 1/2 ago.

Stator Failed last Tuesday and total mileage was 10,225.

Luckily I have a spare gen 1 that I kept and I'm quickly back on the road. I'm NOT about to purchase a stock for over $1000 with a new rotor so I guess, I'll be calling Ricks soon.

Brief Summary - VERSION 2 lasted over 14 months for me and a total of 10,225 miles.
    2017 Husky FC350
    2016 Yamaha R1-M
    2012 Honda VFR1200F

apriliaforum Member
    Rick's warranty is a year. they did mine. maybe they will give you the two months.
    Helmut Fritz

you into PC gaming?

'07 RSV1000R

thanks

Reubens32;

thanks for all your work on the stator problem, everyone owes you a thanks,
    i started in on it, and as you know now, its mostly smoke and mirrors......and always somebody else's fault.....Denso screwed up and here we are.....

i'm on my 7th .....but its on hold for right now, i want the MV rolling down the road, went completely through it.

Rueben, thank you my friend.

it's just total bullshit that we have to go through this stuff

Noel-theknurl

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast