Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricks Motorsports Stator Version 2 - Thicker next step wires

wire thickness

bartho;
    the wire is 1.06mm or 0.040" without insulation
    thats off my 3rd burned one 4th needs to be replaced now!
    haven't got the series regulator yet....

Noel-theknurl

Quote Originally Posted by the knurl View Post
    bartho;
    that's off my 3rd burned one 4th needs to be replaced now!

Noel-the knurl
    My wire was 1.22 mm (measured) 3 th burned one. I asking the Company (sevior) tu use thicker one. He told me to look at that but isn't sure it is possible. I bring him my stator tommarow et rewind him for half the price what means 49 . Because i'm just out off warranty (2 years warranty).

couldn't Rick motorsport build a series regulator?
    bartho

I think the real solution is replacing the OEM regulator. We shouldn't be wasting time (and money) replacing stators. At the very least, be glad we don't have the Duc 1098 and 848 regulators. They seem to be popping at a fairly good rate leaving people stranded with no warning. I believe there's even a recall! Italians and electricity. They don't mix.
    Michel
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" -Winston Churchill

2004 RSV-R Factory Sold and will be sorely missed.

apriliaforum Junkie RumbleStrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7tt95 View Post
    I think the real solution is replacing the OEM regulator. We shouldn't be wasting time (and money) replacing stators. At the very least, be glad we don't have the Duc 1098 and 848 regulators. They seem to be popping at a fairly good rate leaving people stranded with no warning. I believe there's even a recall! Italians and electricity. They don't mix.
    so are you saying stay with OEM stator or replace OEM with Ricky's stuff?
    "....you have to live loud enough to make the world remember you, and sometimes you can do that without saying a word..."

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
    bartho;
    thats off my 3rd burned one 4th needs to be replaced now!

Noel-theknurl
    how many miles? i think you have other issues causing the problem

dont put out the fire, kill the arsonist
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

Well the stators are actually failing due to the regulator, not to an actual fault with the stator itself. So if the regulator is replaced with a series regulator, and Noel is correct, then NONE of the stators would go bad like they do now, whether it's OEM or Rick's.
    Michel
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" -Winston Churchill

2004 RSV-R Factory Sold and will be sorely missed.

stators etc

Guys its not the stator, its been around for 30+ years, its not the rec/regulator....
    its the combination of the type of regulator with the NEW ROTOR!!!!

'98-'03 Aprilias had the same stator and regulator and did NOT fry stators
    the Big 4 ALL had trouble with the new generation rotors from Denso... the difference being .........they recalled them!!!
    the experts said ~1300 Gausses are needed to produce 500 watts...
    they measured mine at ~2600 Gausses

this is NOT like automotive systems where the amount of power produced is controlled by the regulator adjusting the amount of electricty in the field windings.
    because of the combination of the extra power being produced, and a shunt regulator the system over heats and the weak link is the stator windings,
    i think it was kzmille that said the hottest spot on the entire motor was the stator cover.

the only thing that is different is the NEW ROTOR

you think Aprilia is going to step up to the plate and tell Denso to fix it?

like they did with;
    resetting dashes?
    leaking gas caps?
    goofy fuel maps [they've tried.... BUT never confuse efforts with results!] ?
    hydraulics that need constant bleeding?
    how about a recall on the fuel line/click clamps in the tank?
    or the LINK PLATES ???

some things are annoyances, but others can kill or maim us!!

Noel-theknurl

as far as the map, either keep the stock exhaust or dont be so cheap and get a power commander and a custom map

its strange because with the problems you have had i would have sold the bike or traded it, mine has 16,000 trouble free miles with none of the above problems, then again i dont tinker with my bike, i ride it

i did have a custom map made but there is no stock map configuration they can come up with for all the aftermarket headers and pipes - sheesh! if your doing aftermarket mods, get the all the aftermarket parts to make them work, dont blame aprilia, and i would bet there maps work with there pipes, imagine that! sorry they dissapointed you and not making aprilia maps to go with every configuration of aftermarket headers and cans out there available
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

i can understand theknurls frustration with all the problems he has had, actually anyones for that matter, but bottom line is any production vehicle whether it be a car or a bike has parts built by the lowest bidder, its fine line on quality and priceing, seriously i dont think i would have paid 40 grand for my bike, i would have bought something cheaper, dollar for dollar the mille has way better componants than many of the jap bikes, which by the way they are not without problems either. somewhere sometime there is someone tinkering with there jap bike trying to fix all the things they deem as to be wrong with the bike and posting on a forum just like this

as for breaking link plates, they shouldnt - period. do all of them - no, whats the difference in the bikes that have vs havent? - dont know. was the suspension height changed on those bikes and the shock hit the dogbone? - dont know that either. i know mine has clearence

as for stators frying, no they shouldnt either

i'm not saying the bikes are perfect, but they are far from the junk that a certain forum member claims them up to be

btw, i still have my stock link plates on, never got around to installing the ti ones
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics

Mods en stator

I leave my bike original no mods. My first stator burns after 28000 Km.
    I have bleeding problems with the clutch certainly in hot weather.
    Speedo resets three times. Disconnect battery for loading , like the security prescription says.
    I had an RSV 2000 before and non of these problems.
    bartho

to each his own, i would never have a stock bike, when i changed my clutch master for the billet unit, not only did i get a better part, it solved the bleeding issue......but the clutch action is better, even without the bleeding problem i would buy another one, also the brake, the stock brakes are weak compared to a racing master
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics

apriliaforum Junkie RumbleStrip's Avatar
    looks like both are part # 21-004. do you tell them you need the updated one or do they automatically ship the updated, if you know?
    "....you have to live loud enough to make the world remember you, and sometimes you can do that without saying a word..."

04 RSVR:

Connectorectomised
    Heavy-duty stator
    relocated regulator
    Hertz link plates
    solidified oil tank
    changed all cheap hose clamps (gaz tank!)
    swing arm recalled
    new non-resetting dash
    Yamaha starter relay
    side stand stopper grinded
    Aprilia tigs
    CRG levers
    K&N filter
    gel grips
    RhinoMoto bar ends
    Arrows damper
    R&G frame sliders
    15 teeth front sprocket
    Fabri windscreen

fixes and part changing

Chris;
    the 2nd day i had my Aprilia i ordered a PClll, the next day i went by RB Racing and Bob gave me a Lambda meter.... then I did the 600 mi service
    the STOCK MAP DIDN'T WORK ON A STOCK BIKE, its called shitty mapping!!!
    yes and i spent the money for a Innovate data logger too!

went over to see Russ at RC Engineering, he came out and blipped the throttle on the Aprilia and just smiled and said 'nice fuel curve, you can hear it bog'
    NOBODY KNOWS MORE ABOUT FUEL INJECTION THAN RUSS COLLINS...

Map2 doesn't work with Aprilia pipes and Aprilia Ti cans either!!

while i was 'tinkering' in the last few years, posting FIXES for some of this crap, i put 30,000 mi on the Aprilia, 37,000 mi on the 1150GS and 27,000 mi on the KTM Duke ll

ISO 9000
    is supposed to go to zero defects properly used it does!
    30 years ago a friend was incoming QC Engineer for a small company... Xerox MicroElectronics, when they had a 10-15% failure rate with Motorola chips ...Motorola's answer was "SO?"
    when the failure rate was 1 in 100,000 on japanese chips their response was "don't touch it, we're putting an engineer on the plane right NOW"
    who's stuff do you want to use???
    he went to work for a small circuit board company and because their costs and zero defect work.... put Honeywell out of the circuit board business!
    he was national champion twice on frames and pipes i did for him his name? RC jr.

when i worked for Fritz Egli in Switzerland i designed and built frames, if you bent one .... walked in the door and i put it in the jig and it was crooked I GAVE YOU A NEW ONE OUT OF MY POCKET!!!!!!
    one person collected, at Spa-Francorchamps his bike hit the end of the Armco barrier upside down at~130mph the barrier cut through the fairing and tank and cut away 2/3 of the 100mm x 1.5mm backbone tube!
    it was still straight....gave him one anyway! Herr Egli had a fit untill i explaned the advertising value we'd get from it
    a month later we were swamped with orders for $25k bikes
    we used Brembo DISCS but NONE of the flexy calipers....or bogus M/Cs

when i left Egli in '75 there were 10 FIM certificates hanging in the window they are for National or World Championships not track days

it was a fabulous place to work it was the Mecca of Motorcycles, sat & sun people came from all over Europe....and wanted us to test ride their bikes...and ride our test bike the Honda that won Bol d'Or in '69
    all on the same test road

i've got 3 bikes with Brembos, pad wear is the same, wedge shaped!!! the calipers are flexing open, Aprilia is on its 3rd set

i don't use o-ring chain.... how are you going to lube it? you can't!!
    the Regina Extra 525 i use is $46 and weighs ~ 2 pounds less, saved more weight that all that titanium you have! and its rotating mass too!

i'll fix the stator problem don't worry.....even with stators costing only $83

the forged stuff is stronger than the billet have Diablo1 explain it, he's a metallurgist
    and the working pressure is only ~300psi anyway
    Noel-theknurl
    Last edited by theknurl; 10-07-2008 at 07:37 PM.

things have changed in 30 years, you sound alot like my dad. first off the japenese quality has slipped horribly so to use them as a benchmark is a joke

iso is only as good as the people sayings its that

never heard of russ collins, the guy that did my map was skip from north american warhorse, he was a tech on the fast by ferracci superbike team last year, he's pretty good, i dont have bog that you have

however, i will say up until about 2 months ago bike ran very smooth, now it seems like its a bit rich on the bottom, it happened after i installed iridium plugs, i doubt they are the problem, but i am loosing some miles per tank, i dont know if i bumped the map vacuum line or not, havent had much time to lift the tank but i want to do it this weekend

you might think i'm giving you a hard time, i'm really not, i think your a sharp guy and even though my posts dont sound like it, i do have alot of respect for you, but i really hate the way you go on and on like these bikes including mine are a piece of junk, i've had junk before and its not this bike, it was a honda, cracked swingarm, yes cracked swingarm on a honda!, fried clutches! cutting in and out, was never fixed, sold the bike and got something else
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast